VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a problem I've had for a few years now. I'm not really looking for a one-shot solution (although that'd be nice) but simply any hint as to what's going on.

I've got an old VHS home movie I'd like to capture. Viewed on a television (and I've tried this with several different TVs/VCRs) it looks fine, all the colors are correct. When captured (tried this with several different PCs, all Windows of various flavors, and several different capture cards, from different manufacturers, and several different capture programs) the colors come out very bright, and washed out. Mid to light grays in the original all become pure white; mid green becomes pure yellow, etc. The results look like this:

This was filmed in the hills in spring, the grass in the background should all be a mild green.

I've tried using the color adjustment options in my capture program/card driver. It's apparent that those adjustments only take place after whatever is brightening the picture, as they only affect the already-washed-out image. Since some of the image data has been lost by this point (due to the saturation at white), that doesn't help me at all.

The original was made on an old camcorder that recorded directly onto VHS tape. I'm working off a copy, made using a normal VCR.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the second generation tape could be part of the problem. If you can get your hands on the original, you'll start off in better shape.

Without know exactly what you've been working on...
    (tried this with several different PCs, all Windows of various flavors, and several different capture cards, from different manufacturers, and several different capture programs)
    ...it's a little difficult to troubleshoot, but I had a similar problem when I first began using my PVR350 card. I made a few simple adjustments to brightness and contrast within the Hauppauge capture software and my troubles were gone.

Are there any such adjustments available to you in your software?

It might be helpful if you outlined exactly what you have tried that didn't work. The folks around here tend to work with specifics - in that almost every combination of system/capture software/device imaginable has been tried and documented.
    Quote Quote