VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can vlc play a dvd directory, video_ts or iso, as a dvd with the full dvd navigation menus?

Right now, I have a version of WinDVD that doesn't support that, so if I want to use the dvd menus, I mount the directory as a virtual drive using daemon tools before using WinDVD. I'd like to skip using a virtual drive.

If vlc doesn't doesn't do what I want, I don't want to bother installing it.

thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A video_ts directory works fine to open in VLC, including menus. I think iso's work also but I haven't tested.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qpskfec
    Can vlc play a dvd directory, video_ts or iso, as a dvd with the full dvd navigation menus?

thx
    Yes, VLC can play all these formats:
    1. For VIDEO_TS folder on hard-drive: File/Open-> go to VIDEO_TS
    2. For ISO file: File/Open -> select ISO file
    3. For a DVD with full menu: File/Open/Disc-> select DVD (menu) and the DVD drive (for example, D

(I am not sure what you meant by "a dvd directory". I guess it is a copy of DVD on the hard-drive? In this case, you can open its VIDEO_TS to start the DVD with full menu)

Certainly lots of capacity for a freeware!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD files on my hard drive, using VLC, I normally use 'Open Directory' and browse to the VIDEO_TS folder as the directory. Then use the DVD menu to play the DVD.

Just to add a few more things VLC can do. It can encode the played file to different formats. It can also stream video to the net. Besides that, it plays most any video format with it's own codecs, Nothing to install. It can also play corrupted or partially downloaded files. It's a great program, well worth having even for playing 'odd' files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [/quote]
    (I am not sure what you meant by "a dvd directory". I guess it is a copy of DVD on the hard-drive? In this case, you can open its VIDEO_TS to start the DVD with full menu)
    [/quote

Yes, I want to watch DVDs that I have on the hard drive without mounting the video_ts or iso as a virtual drive.

I'll give vlc a try later today

thanks to everyone for the info
    Quote Quote  
  6. I loaded vlc v8.6a.

I have a dvd made by a Philips standalone dvd recorder, so it has a video_rm and a video_ts.

vlc crashes with this message
    "The instruction at "xxxxxx" referenced memory at "xxxxx". The memory could not be "written""

I assume vlc doesn't like discs made fon dvd recorders. Think fix vts would remedy this?

I don't have a standard dvd with video_ts + audio_ts folders handy. I assume that will work ok when I try it later.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How did you open/play it? Did you select to play a directory and selected the video_ts folder?
    Quote Quote  
  8. yes, open directory, select the video_ts folder and also tried select the directory above the video_ts

crashes both times

I can open the vobs and play them ok
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qpskfec
    ...I don't have a standard dvd with video_ts + audio_ts folders handy. I assume that will work ok when I try it later.
    That's probably the best way to narrow down the problem for trouble-shooting. Just load a DVD movie on your DVD drive and see if VLC can play it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I loaded standard dvds and it works ok with one exception. The dvds I tried played with black bars on the top and sides.

The dvds were 4:3 and played properly, filling the whole screen, when using WinDVD or WMP 10.

I didn't have time to go through the options to see if there is some aspect ratio setting to change. Anyone know if there is a setting that might fix this?
    Quote Quote