VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I was recently married and my parents took a video of my wife's and I ceremony; unfortunately she had us at a 90 degree angle, which made everything that would normally be up and down to appear vertical on the screen. How do I edit the video to make everything strait up?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the video already on your computer? If so what is the format (extension)?

RE the wedding: you have my deepest sympathies. :P
    Quote Quote  
  3. The AviSynth filter TurnLeft (or TurnRight) can fix it if you plan on reencoding it. There's probably a VDub equivalent that does the same thing:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/TurnLeft
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro can do it. Put your video on the timeline, clip on that clip, go to the effects window, click on the triangle next to motion, move the timeline indicator to the beginning, click on the triangle next to rotation, change it to -90 or 90, depending on which way you want to go, click on the little stopwatch or whatever it is there to set a mark at that point and you are done.

Well, almost. You'll have to render it. That may take some time depending on how long it is. Or skip that and write it out as a new avi file. It will "render" as it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its an avi file; will this make any difference?

Thanks again for your help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi-
    Its an avi file; will this make any difference?
    Not for AviSynth, it won't:

AVISource("C:\Path\To\Video.avi",False)
    TurnLeft()#or TurnRight()

False disables the audio, in case you want to handle it externally. If you don't, then leave out that part of the line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MVW should rotate and convert your avi file to a DVD compliant MPG2 file without any problems. The last time I checked MVW came with a 30 day free trial.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the video was shot to interlaced source, I imagine the output is going to be pretty bad. I've never tried that. I might shoot a test sometime, it sounded interesting.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. I hadn't even thought of that. Very good point. So, if it is interlaced, I guess it'll have to be deinterlaced before being rotated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Its an avi file; will this make any difference?"
    No. Premiere works best with avi files. All video that I edit is in avi. I encode to mpeg when done editing. If I have to re-edit, I go back to the avi's and do the process again. once in mpg, i am done with that particular file.... other than burning a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. AviSynth will turn it, but it will no longer be a DVD compliant resolution so you will have to add borders and resize it down as well. If this is DV-AVI from a digital camcorder then it is most assuredly interlaced. I've never done it, but I would split the frames, separate into odd/even, rotate, addborders, resize to half height, then weave them back together and encode as interlaced, but it will probably take some experimentation to determine the right filters for each step as well as determining the correct field order to get the best results. Even so, expect to lose some quality in the process. It sounds like an interesting challenge. Good luck.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Premiere, as I described above, while in the effects controls menu, after you rotate it 90 degrees, you can also change the scale by dragging the mouse over the numbers on it until the video reaches the ends so that there is no bars on the sides....usually about 135% for 4:3. Then you can go to the position line and move it vertically to frame it the way you want it (cutting off some of the video, of course) You don't need to deinterlace it..... At least I haven't had to.

If you don't want to lose any of the picture, you should put some background filler on the sides. The easiest way to do that is to put your original video clip on the video2 line on the timeline and then do a file-new-color matte. A color palette will show up. Select a soft background color that you want. Then fine tune the color from the new window selections. When you have chosen, put that on the Video 1 track on the timeline. extend it for the duration of the video clip.
    Then render and/or save this new video.

That is it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is one of the most common and horrible mistakes made by people who know nothing about video. It drives me nuts to see this happen.
    Quote Quote  
  14. An additional thought...
    DV uses non-square pixels so the resizing will have to compensate for that as well.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote