VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a mac application that lets me add or edit the subtitles within the video without having to create subtitle files. I mostly just want to edit the subtitles that exists already and maybe add some for scenes that doesn't have any. I want be able to watch the newly edited video in itunes, and Im not sure how subtitle files work with itunes, if it can.

Thanks for you time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are several subtitle applications for the mac, but the usable are subtitler and titlelab. You can open, edit and change the timecode with subtitler. It is important to choose the right format when importing and exporting. You can find the program at sites such as versiontracker and macupdate.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks oscarlaw. I'll be sure to give them a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In order to edit the subtitle you always have to seperate the mpeg from the subtitle stream, so you must create a subtitle file. Adding to the mpegstream is also possible in dvd studio pro from apple. But again: first extract the subtitles and the mpeg file through mpeg streamclip and import them into dvd studio pro. Then add and change the subtitle stream. Without a seperate file or stream editing can't be done. But separating them is not a big problem. It is getting the timecodes right and that is where subtitler comes in (this let you convert subtitlestreams into the right format). Use dvd studio pro, this older version works under Leopard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However if the sub-titles are encoded into the video (hard subbed) then you cannot easily extract them without using OCR and a lot of correcting, and then you have to be able to mask out the existing subs so your changes can be read. Separate, or soft subs (even embedded streams) can be dealt with relatively easily. Hard subs are a very different matter.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It the subtitles are written in the filmmaterial as some mp4 applications such as SHIVA will do when exporting mp4 movies, it is hard, if not to say impossible to edit the subtitles. But I think we talk about personal material with a separate audio and mpeg stream which should be available. So basic editing of personally owned material. To do it any other way is inviting problems and a waste of time and energy. Better find other material I would say. A Vob-file can be easily separated and the subtitles extracted with D-vision.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, It is a hardsub. So I guess it is too hard to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because they are hard-coded, you cannot easily delete existing subtitles, but you can add new ones without difficulty. So, for the scenes that need subtitles added, you can create, for example, an .srt file that contains only the added material. You didn't specify what format your video is in, but if you're interested in pursuing this option, post back with more details (including whether playback on a standalone dvd player is important), and I'm certain that you'll get many useful suggestions on how to do this for your specific case.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yep, but an extra file is needed. Then is a matter of timecoding. What is the format of the movie..? Not every format takes srt, some will want to have sub..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reminding me to add more details. They are in either AVI or MOV format. I only play it on my computer, but I would like it to work in itunes with the subs changed, so I don't necessarily need it to play on a DVD Player. They are pretty much all anime with hardsubs. I just want to re-structure the sub sentences, so I have an easier time reading it.

If it is really that hard to delete hardsubs, is there a way to overwrite the existing subs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VidHunter
    If it is really that hard to delete hardsubs, is there a way to overwrite the existing subs?
    Think about it like this - you have a photo in photoshop and someone has typed text across it, flattened it, and saved it as a jpg file. You now have to remove the old text, and replace it with a new version of the text. You can't just use the text tool, because there is no text layer. The text is now as much a part of the image as any other element. Now imagine you have 60,000 images to alter and the text is constantly changing. This is what you are trying to do, and this is why it is not an easy task.

The simplest, ugliest approach would be to simply mask out the old test with a single coloured box, and put the new text over the top. You can see any of the image behind it, but at least the text is readable.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vidhunter is right. But there is an app to add subtitles to quicktime movies. It is called Miyu; and there are some be others, I remember coming across one when reviewing some utilities for MacFan magazine which let you add text to quicktime movies. But I think Miyu is a good choice for adding some subtitles to an already existing stream. And it is free.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gunslinger, I think I now understand why it is so hard to change hardsubs. Miyu is great, but I think it can can only put text on top of the original text in my case, right? It doesn't look too pretty. I heard that jubler can edit subs, but I don't know if it can do hardsubs since I haven't been able to install the Mplayer properly on my mac yet.

If there isnt an alternative, I think ill try to find the original raw video for each of my anime (yikes ) and dub it myself. I would have to use the hardsubbed videos I have as reference since I dont know japanese.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try jubler, yes. There is new version, 3.3 and some people are very enthusiastic about it. I havenot worked with it yet. I think you should try to install mplayer. Install macport and then type sudo port install mplayer in the terminal. After this mplayer will install itself. After installer type mplayer in the terminal or click on mplayer, it should open then.

schermfoto%202.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    now a jpg to show

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mplayer website provides the three parts we need: Mplayer, codec, and skins. Oscarlaw, do I gather the three parts and use the method you mentioned? I tried to use one of the unofficial installer provided on the website for the mac, but it doesn't open properly after installation.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are several ways to collect the parts, first installing those through macports or fink, secondly by gathering them. Go to the website of ffmpeg, http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/download.html, where you can collect the raw material.
    I donot know why you can't install mplayer. I think you should try repair permissions and look to the folders in which you want to install mplayer.. MIght be a problem of authentication.
    Anyway, one of these methods must bring you success, rationally. If not, look again to your system and configuration.
    best wishes

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What problems do you have while installing MPlayer in OSX?
    If you install the official MPlayer distribution from their website, Jubler should be able to use it as is.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got it running. I just downloaded the installer from version tracker. I don't know what is the difference between the installer from the main Mplayer webpage and version tracker, but I know the one in version tracker workers.
    Quote Quote