VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to create a DVD from a .mkv file that contains PAL format video, and AC3 5.1 audio, but I need it to be NTSC.
    I was using DVDFlick to create the DVD's for use in standalone DVD players, but the audio is WAY WAY off. It plays the audio a good 10 seconds before the video. Its kinda funny to watch because its like a 70's KungFu movie, but annoying when you really would rather just watch the movie as intended. Also, when I play the DVD in my computer, audio is out of synch and only plays in the right side channel.
    My DVD player only accepts NTSC, so I set the files to burn as NTSC in DVDFlick. (This was before I knew what format the .mkv file contained) Voila, instant KungFu.
    Is there a way to extract the video/audio from the .mkv container, and then convert the PAL over to NTSC so I can burn it properly?
    It seems that the issue stems from the video/audio being converted from PAL to NTSC in the process of encoding (is that the right word?) the DVD. I was thinking that if I could extract the video/audio into its native format (PAL) and then run a converter on it separately so it becomes NTSC, and THEN author the DVD, it might work out a little better. Would converting the .mkv files to .avi help??
    Ideas?
    Is that even possible?
    (oh and a side note, I noticed when I play the DVD, either in a standalone play or computer DVD drive, the video stutters for the first 10 or so seconds.)

Programs I currently have installed (don't laugh, I've been trying darn near everything but I only know enough about computers to be dangerous o0 )
    VLC Media Player
    DVDFlick
    MagicISO
    Nero8
    DVD Fab Gold 4
    DVDFab Decrypter
    DVDShrink
    ConvertXtoDVD
    and DiviX Player and Converter
    I think there is one or two more but I can't seem to find them. Meh.

All are trial (except DVD Flick)[/i]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't see FAVC on the list. Maybe worth a try. You may be able to extract out the audio with MKVExtractGUI.

But others here know a lot more about MKV than me.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, its worth a shot. I've been at this for 3 days now!
    I downloaded FVC and left most of the settings as is. I like that you can choose any .jpg to use as a menu background. (which is the least of my worries at this point, but it is a fun feature !)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ooooooo kay.
    FAVC didn't work:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

is all I got out of it.

I think that program only works with .avi files.
    I have an .mkv file.

*sigh*

According to the Matroska site, its dang near impossible to make a DVD with an .mkv file.
    and that you can't convert them to .avi very well, if at all.
    Then again, it might just be that .avi is a rival container format......
    So. I might try using VLC but I'm not quite sure how to do that.
    Off I go to read more threads!
    Thank you for the suggestion though!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mkv is a pain in the arse to convert to dvd. Here is something you might try.

Use ogmcleaver to separate the audio and video files (you will also need mkvtoolnix for this to work)

Then process your avi to m2v with the encoder of your choice to ntsc resolution with 25fps. Then add irregular pulldown using dgpulldown method of pal to ntsc conversion (25.00->29.97).

Convert your audio (there may be more than one language to process) to ac3 using one of many tools.

Author to dvd using a dedicated authoring program like guifordvdauthor or similar.

As long as your mkv dosent have variable frame rate you shouldn't have to much trouble. If it does have vfr you are better off pressing the "Delete" key because converting those are more trouble than they are worth.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OOooooi.
    For now I will just watch it on my computer. If I do anything else with this file my head is gonna 'splode.
    grrrr .mkv

I might try those steps next weekend, when I'm not so irked with the whole thing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I convert mkv files with FAVC regularly, and while they don't always go as smoothly as avi files, I have never had it crash on me. FAVC is a front-end to many different programs, so it would be interesting to find out what actually crashed when you tried to convert.

The other thing is that mkv is just a container, and it could contain pretty much anything. I have had to, on several occasions, use mkvextract to get the video and audio streams out, then mkvmerge to create a new file with correct framerates specified, and without all the extraneous crap like jpgs etc that get shoved into these files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried again and this is what I get:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
    at FAVC.MediaInfo.MediaInfo_New()
    at FAVC.FAVCForm1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

So I guessed that "incorrect format" had to do with the file I want to use.
    Hrm. I get this instantly, after clicking the "generate DVD" button a the bottom.
    I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version of FAVC, would that make any difference?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC requires .net 2.0

You have to download and install this from microsoft before FAVC will run.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15...displaylang=en
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have .NET 2.0 installed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 64-bit version is for those running the 64-bit versions of Windows XP or Vista. If you're not using either of those. you should use the 32-bit version.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. HEH. Yeah I R SMRT.
    *sweeps 64bit FVAC under the rug and runs off to get 32Bit*
    I will shut up now. LOL.
    Quote Quote