VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have been having a problem whereby my finished DVD works on my laptop with both video and sound but doesn't work at all on my goodmans dvd/tv combo as it just reads "no disk". I then tried to play the dvd on my xbox 360 and the video worked but there was no audio.

When creating the dvd i converted the original file (which i downloaded) from avi to mpeg using TMPGEnc. However I didn't convert the audio here as i was advised against it. After I had converted the video I checked the audio of the original file and it was already ac3 (which is dvd compatible, right?) So I thought there is no need for conversion so I just extracted the audio from the original file using virtualdubmod. Then using dvdlabpro I compiled the mpeg file and the ac3 file and burnt the dvd using NTI cd dvd maker.

Have I done anything wrong in the process of creating the dvd that has prevented it from playing, for instance, on my xbox 360 without audio when it plays with audio on my laptop's dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that audio is DVD compliant? Check 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page for both the audio and video DVD specifications. I'm assuming PAL here, but as long as your players can handle that or NTSC, it should work.

More likely is a DVD Media compatibility problem. Have you used that same media with your 'TV' player before? Less likely could be your encoding settings, your authoring methods or your burning program or your burner.

Being able to play it on a software player doesn't mean much, as they can play out of spec files fairly easily. I don't know about a Xbox.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD compliant? Well I'm in the UK and so I need PAL compatible and from what I have read on the Internet, in order for audio to work it has to be ac3 or pcm.

What do you mean by DVD Media compatibility? What media are you referring to.

How are you meant to go about converting audio to ac3 from the original movie anyway?

Thanks for the welcome and your response
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AC3 or MPEG-1 Layer2 or PCM is fine for PAL. But PCM takes up a lot of space. One of the easier ways to convert a audio file to AC3 is ffmpegGUI.

Generally, you are correct that you don't need to do anything with a AC3 audio file, if it's complaint. It usually would be if it was taken directly from the original DVD disc. But it may not have been.

Your DVD disc you burn, the DVD media, needs to be compatible with your burning program, your burner and your player. A burner has a built in 'strategy' for each brand and version of media. If the one it uses doesn't match your media, you can have bad burns. Sometimes a firmware upgrade of the burner can fix that, but I would just try a different brand of DVD disc first.

EDIT: BTW, if you don't have it, you can DL a copy of Gspot 2.70 and check the file before burning and see what format and spec the audio and video are. You can also check one of the VOB files after conversion to DVD format to see what it is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've searched this site and come across BeLight and so have downloaded that and have just finished converting the extracted .ac3 file to a more specific .ac3 file. I'll try the process again with the new audio and see if it works this time; if not I will try using the ffmpegGUI that you have suggested. The problem is probably that the movie I downloaded had probably not been ripped straight from the dvd and so the audio file i extracted was proabably incompatible (even thogugh it was .ac3)

I doubt there are any hardware or software problems but maybe some better DVD discs might make a difference so I'll try that if I keep failing.

Yes, i downloaded GSpot a while ago...it's a great program.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote