VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello all,
    i'm new to this forum so if this question has been answered elsewhere please point me to the appropriate faq or howto. i've searched the net about it and couldn't find anything useful (but since english is not my own language my searches were possibly not effective).

i have noticed that dvds burned by my dvd recorder (pioneer dvr-530h) lack support for the resume play feature of dvd players.
    in other words: if i watch a dvd (even a dvd i authored on my pc) on my dvd player (pioneer dv-470), if i turn the player off and then on again, when pressing play it starts playing from the point where it was stopped before i turned it off.
    on the contrary, if the dvd was burned by the dvr-530h, it always restarts from beginning.

i asked pioneer's tech support, they told me to do a firmware upgrade, i did, but nothing changed (no surprise, since the changelog of the upgrade did not mention such an issue). so i asked them again, but no answer so far.

i suspect that the dvr-530h does not support some dvd feature that allows a player to uniquely identify a dvd and create a sort of playlist. if i knew what that feature is and how it is implemented, i could copy to my pc the contents of the dvds i burn on the dvr, add that feature (possibly hexediting some ifo file?) and burn fully working dvds.

any help, suggestion, clue would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    stefano
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may have to do with the format you are using to record the dvd's. Many recorders have two formats to choose from when recording, VR mode (which is used by recorders to allow editing and other options) and video mode (DVD spec format). Ensure you are using video mode.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tanks for the reply.
    yes all dvds i burn on the dvr-530h are done in video mode and finalized for compatibility's sake.

in addition, i recently did this try: i copied a dvd burned on the dvr530 to my pc (copied files, not read image) and burned a new dvd. this dvd has the same problem as the ones burned on the dvr530.

anyone knows about some sort of serial number stored in some ifo file, or something alike?
    if the dvd player did a checksum of something on the dvd, it could do it also on the dvd burned by the dvr530, so i think it has to be something on the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barninga
    anyone knows about some sort of serial number stored in some ifo file, or something alike?
    if the dvd player did a checksum of something on the dvd, it could do it also on the dvd burned by the dvr530, so i think it has to be something on the disk.
    Yes, there are PCA and RMA areas on DVDs for power calibration tests and record management.

See this thread on AVS Forum for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you, that thread contains quite a bit of very interesting info.

however i'm not sure this is the point, since -if i understood well what i've read in that thread- pca and rma areas are written when the drive calibrates for the medium. if the dvd player were using that data to identify the dvd, it would find data in those areas and the resume play feature should work: i don't think that the dvr530 does not perform calibration.

in addition, imho it's likely that those areas are just blank in "original" dvds, since they are not writable and are produced through a process which is very different from burning (and doesn't imply writing on the medium at all).

so, my guess is that a sort of "product id" might be present in some "logical" piece of data on the dvd, not physical. for example, if i buy a film on dvd and play it in my dv470, the resume play feature works.
    if i make a backup copy of it with k9copy (a sort of open source linux native dvdshrink), the resume play feature still works also on the copy. this seems to point out that the id was transferred to the copy (hence is not one of the bits that k9copy (or dvdshrink) throws away while reauthoring the dvd).
    if i record the content of the copy on the dvr530h and then burn a copy, this last copy will not enable the resume play feature on the dvr530h, just like any other dvd burned by it (i.e. a film recorded from tv and then burned to dvd)...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry, "will not enable the resume play feature on the dvr530h" should be "will not enable the resume play feature on the dv-470".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be as simple as the volume label? I think DVDDecrypter/DVDShrink carries the label over from original to copy (if you leave it alone). Maybe the DVD recorder doesn't use a volume label?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm i already tried that.
    when i copied (file by file) a dvr530h made dvd to my pc and burned a new dvd with the same content, i did set a volume label, but it didn't work.
    and anyway the dvr530h allows to set a "dvd name" string, which i didn't check but i suspect to be the volume label, since title names can be set elsewhere.
    thanks for your reply anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using DVDShrink to make a new "copy" of the disc. Maybe the 530 isn't making discs that fully meet the dvd spec in some way.

As mats pointed out above concerning the volume label, aside from not having a label, maybe the label is too long. You may also want to try one of these discs in another dvd player. Maybe the issue (or part of the issue) is with the 470.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, i'll try dvdshrink or k9copy on a dvd burned on the dvr530, i didn't try yet.
    as soon as i try, i'll let you know what happens.
    Quote Quote