VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently coverted my gaming PC to an HTPC. I installed Auzentech's Xplosion 7.1 DTS Connect Card. It seems to be a great product which includes spdif input from an internal source. It also has great software/control panel that allows for testing. When using the controls to test the card's output, I am able to receive DTS signal to my Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver. However during playback from the HTPC's internal DVD drive(Sony's new 20x DVD) I get nothing DTS despite trying everything possible. My thought is that maybe the drive's digital audio signal through the IDE to the CPU/OS is being converted someplace before hitting the sound card. I am pretty sure the receiver is wanting a 'RAW' DTS signal but how can this be done? I can find no internal drives with spdif output. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had any problem using both a sound blaster audigy card and a crappy builtin audio card to send both ac3 and dts through the spdif to my yamaha and onkyo receivers.

What player are you using? Does ac3 work? Is it a dvd-video with dts audio or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Baldrick, thanks for the reply. I tried all kinds of disks. Audio only CD's play back static. DVD movies with DTS ask you when they first load which sound track you want to playback. When DTS is selected there is only silence. When Dolby is selected it plays nice though the Dolby/AC3 logo on the receiver does not illuminate. It simply indicates a PCM source is selected.

I am using Window Media Player 10 on Vista. I wonder if there is a DTS download I could try. At least that would eliminate the drive as the potential bottleneck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can find sample DTS files suitable for burning to an audio CD here:
    http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html
    They have some AC3 on audio CD test files too. I made a test disc out of these files and they do work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman. I downloaded the DTS file to try from my HD. Didn't work, sigh. Just static again.. Thx anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DTS audio won't go through the the burners digital connection. It will be read as data, along with the video, and streamed through the spdif from the playback software. Obviously the spdif connection works, as the DTS test signal from the control panel reaches your amp. So the next step back in the chain is the playback software.

Frankly, WMP is a poor player for DVD. Try using Media Player Classic or VLC.

Load the video with AC3 audio into VLC, then choose Device -> A52 over sdpif and see what you get.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You just need to download the latest ffdshow and make sure you select AC3 AND DTS in the audio configuration then it should work.

I got it work in Vista Ultimate Edition by just installing lastest version of ffdshow and nothing else (no need for AC3Filter either), yesterday.

I also got it work in Windows XP SP2 but I want to use Vista instead.

Once it works you should be able to send spdif to your receiver from any media player such as MS WMP 11, InterVideo, PowerDVD ... etc.
    Quote Quote