VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to everybody. And thank you for reading my post.

I am Vlad and I am looking to do the following.

Capture some football matches I have on my computer's hard drive to my standalone DVD Recorder LG RH177.
    My Video card has a TV OUT socket.

Could I get a little hints and tips on how should I do this? And what kind of cables should I use?
    Or if it is possible?

Best regards,
    Vlad
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry...it seeems I have posted wrong. I just saw the sticky thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The best method would be to author a DVD disc from the file, simple and free is convertXtoDVD .

Cheap and easy with some options is Ulead Movie Factory.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know. But I totally want to capture it to my dvd recorder. Can it be done? With cables help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You totally (what does that mean ?) want produce a lower quality version ?

If you must.

You need to confirm that your gfx card supports s-video out. If it does, you need an s-video cable to connect the adapter cable that came with your gfx to your recorder's input. You then need a 3.5 mm headphone jack to stereo RCA cable to connect the audio from your headphone socket on your PC to the stereo audio inputs on your recorder. You then have to divert your desktop at a resolution of 800 x 600 to your TV out using your gfx card drivers, start your video fullscreen, and hit record.

However you will get a much better picture if you just author a proper disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help guns1inger.

Yes, my card supports S-video out. I also have the cables you have told me about. However, I didn't know about the diverting the scren resolution to 800x600. Why am I supposed to do that?
    Plain curiosity and wishing to learn, that's all.

Mihnea
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SD analogue has a limited resolution. Higher than 800 x 600 gains you nothing and may distort the image. I can go to 1024 x 768 via s-video from my laptop, but I wouldn't record at that res. Some drivers won't support higher over TV out anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    However, if the image is crystal, when converting it via s-video I can accept a quality loss, can't i

Many thanks
    Mihnea
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger, I didn't manage to do it. I didn't manage to divert my computer's signal into my dvd recorder.

This is what I have done.

One S-Video cable from my GFX Card in the DVD recorder's S- Video input.
    The red and white audio cables in the audio input's on my DVD recorder.
    I set the resolution to 800x600.
    I have plugged all the cables in the AV4 input from the front of my DVD recorder and also into AV2 SCART input at the back (I have a SCART convertor where I could put all the audio and video cables). I assume SCART is the 21 pin socket. That is how we call it here.

I tried recording, but I got a black recording in return.

Any more ideas?

My Video Card is NVidia Geforce Fx5500
    My DVD Recorder is LG RH177

Sorry for any problems regarding my post in means of English language and Technical Details,

Vlad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try with a TV hooked up instead of the DVD recorder until you get things working to eliminate working in the blind.
    You have to switch output from monitor to TV out - That's done from the nVidia control panel. It may require the TV/DVD Recorder to be connected and on when you start your computer. If all else fails - read the manual for your gfx card.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scart plugs are two way. Make sure, if yours has an option, that it is set to input.

Right-click on your desktop and select Properties. Click on Settings, then Advanced, and finally, open the control panel for your gfx driver. Here you need to set up your TV as the secondary display device so you can direct the images out to it. How you do this varies from driver to driver, so you will have to work that part out yourself.

Then make sure you can see the signal on your TV. If you can't, then you haven't connected it right.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for all your answer. I have managed to output my desktop to a monitor. Worked well without any problems. Pretty good image too

However i have moved my SCART to my DVD Recorder and tried capturing on AV Input2. All i got was a blank screen. I have also tried the svideo solution and tried capturing on AV Input4. All blank screens.
    Should I hook up a TV also with my DVD Recorder? Does it make any difference? I don't believe so...but of course I am not the expert and I might be wrong

I have read on another forum that I might need a VGA Converter for this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the DVD recorder can pass thru the input (I'm sure it can), you'd be helped with a TV connected to the recorder, yes. Once you see the picture on the TV, the recorder should be able to record it too. But I can't see you'd have to have a TV connected, no. A VGA converter should only be necessary if your gfx card didn't have TV out, and does basically the same thing. But instead of struggling with this inferior way to create a Video DVD of the digital video you have on your computer - why not take another look at creating the Video DVD with your computer?

/Mats

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because I have purchased a video file from a website that I believe its DRM-ed. And I keep all my videos in DVD-Video format. Unfortunately I couldn't break the DRM off of this one, because it is a .divx Format. Therefore I have managed to find two ways of doing this:

1. Film the da**ed thing which I did and worked out decently
    2. Try connecting via S-Video my computer to my DVR

Even if it is inferior I really would love to play that recording on my standalone.

Thanks,
    Vlad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah - I C. Well, what you're doing should work too.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to enter your license code into your player and have it play back.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...but hardly convert it to DVD using "normal" methods. I guess using the "analog hole" is the only option if you can't de-DRM it.

/Mats
    Quote Quote