VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a Dvix/Xvid compatible DVD player with USB which supports an NTFS hard drive. All I've found so far is FAT32 compatibility. Doesn't anybody make a model which keeps up with today's technology? FAT32 is so 90's. If not a DVD player perhaps a different suggestion. If I had was in charge of R&D I'd have one with CAT5, wifi lan, and USB2.0+NTFS support. Am I missing something somewhere?

What I'm wanting to do is use my external 500GB HD to play video files directly without having to burn DVDR's. I know there are a handful of DVD players I can get using USB+flash drives, but I'd rather take it a step farther if I'm going to buy a new unit.

thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    usaRaydar wrote:

All I've found so far is FAT32 compatibility. Doesn't anybody make a model which keeps up with today's technology? FAT32 is so 90's.
    Perhaps these quotations from Wikipedia might explain something:

The exact specification is a trade secret, although (since NTFS v3.00) it can be licensed commercially from Microsoft through their Intellectual Property Licensing program.
    NTFS has five versions:

* v1.0
    * v1.1
    * v1.2 found in NT 3.51 and NT 4
    * v3.0 found in Windows 2000
    * v3.1 found in Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista

These final three versions are sometimes referred to as v5.0, v5.1, and v6.0, after the version of Windows NT with which they ship. Each newer version added extra features, for example Windows 2000 introduced quotas while Windows Vista introduced Transactional NTFS, NTFS symbolic links, and self-healing functionality.[7]
    Details on the implementation's internals are closed, so third-party vendors have a difficult time providing tools to handle NTFS.

+++++++++++++++++
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That about sums it up. Especially when most people looking for a Divx player, want a cheap Divx player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And there are some strong implications that Microsoft's licensing terms for NTFS are expensive, given that Apple has read only support for the file system and so many DVD player manufacturers seem to only support FAT32. If not cost, it may be that Microsoft doesn't really want people outside of Microsoft using NTFS because they have some typical irrational Microsoft fear that the more people that know about Microsoft's secret stuff, the worse it will somehow be for Microsoft. They seem to prefer this odd situation we have now where people have reverse engineered support for NTFS and paid Microsoft nothing as a result. Anyway, I've never heard of DVD players supporting anything but FAT32 and that doesn't seem likely to change.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usaRaydar
    What I'm wanting to do is use my external 500GB HD to play video files directly without having to burn DVDR's..
    If that's what you want to do, why bother with dvd players at all? You never heard of the new PopcornHour? Or last year's Tvix4100/Tomacro Limhd. Or the even older Mediagate 350 and 35.

Better yet (assuming you're playing only SD files since you're talking about dvd players), put your 500gB hd into an NAS in a closet in the basement, and stream your videos thro' an xbox running XBMC inyour room. For SD content, XBMC is the best media center there is currently.
    Quote Quote