VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips SPD2513BD 20x retail DVD burner which I just bought a couple weeks ago. It seems to burn CD-R and DVD+R discs just fine. It also burns and erases the DVD+RW disc I have, with one situational exception (discussed below). And it will burn my DVD-RW disc *if it is blank*.

However, it will *not* burn certain things. Here are the problems:

1. It will not erase my DVD-RW disc when it has any data or video already burned onto it.
    2. It will not erase or burn more data to my DVD+RW disc when it has been burned by my other drive but not finalized. (But it will erase and add to the disc when it has been burned by itself but not finalized.)

Potential explanations which I have explored:

Q: Are the disc scratched or otherwise damaged?
    A: No. Both the DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be burned perfectly with my Panasonic DVD recorder and my Lite-on DVD burner. In the case of the latter, the data always verifies successfully. Even the Philips drive burns them properly, so long as the DVD-RW is blank and the DVD+RW has not been left in open-session by my other drive.

Q: Is it a software problem?
    A: No. I have tried DVD Decrypter, Nero 7 and CDBurnerXP. All three programs fail to erase the DVD+RW when it has been burned but not finalized by my other drive, nor my DVD-RW under any circumstances.

Q: Is the firmware up-to-date?
    A: Unknown. I have been unable to find a firmware update for the Philips SPD2513BD drive.

So, that's the story. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try using IMGTOOL CLASSIC to erase your DVD+RW discs. try posting your question at the PHILIPS forum at cdfreaks.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the "other drive"? Is it also in the same computer? If it is, are you using the same software to burn?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    What is the "other drive"? Is it also in the same computer? If it is, are you using the same software to burn?
    It's an old 4x Lite-on LDW-411S, and still running like a champ, I might add. My other Lite-on drive was great too--until I spilled Coca Cola into it. Even then it still worked, just not very well. I ordered a third Lite-on drive (LH-20A1S) which is due to arrive tomorrow, so cross your fingers for me.

The Philips and Lite-on drives are installed in different PCs. I use DVD Decrypter and CDBurnerXP on both, but Nero 7 only on the one with the problematic Philips drive. When my replacement Lite-on drive arrives tomorrow I'm going to install the Philips drive in the other PC, and we'll see what happens, then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best troubleshooting steps would be to have the exact same software on both pc's. Without using the same software on both pieces of hardware, you don't really know if you are having hardware issues, software issues, or a combination of the two.

Nero 7 has also had many issues, ensure you have all of the latest patches/updates.

Aside from that, this seems to be a common issue with the Philips drive.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote