VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this Video TS folder w/ the corresponding VOB files and I can't burn it in Toast 7 (mac).
    It says that it has CSS encryption protected and therefore cant burn.

But, others, who are PC users, have downloaded this (torrent) and they have no problem burning to DVD.

Does anyone know what I can do to burn to DVD?
    Do I need to update to Toast 8?
    Try Nero? Does Nero offer a trial version? I don't want to buy Nero just to do this.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a work around, go to the Data Disc tab and burn it as a UDF disc (instead of the video tab with the VIDEO_TS option).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much Case!
    I tried it and it worked!
    You're super.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but how is the resulting UDF DVD played? (If I could play a TS folder, I wouldn't need to burn it. Also, I want to be able to give the discs to others so they can conveniently play it.)

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possible workaround: Mount as image, then use MTR or some other ripping tool. The result should then not provoke any warnings about CSS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smokeydusky
    Thanks for the suggestion, but how is the resulting UDF DVD played?
    Same as any other DVD disc. If the VIDEO_TS folder is to DVD specs, then the UDF disc with that folder should play fine. You may want to add an empty AUDIO_TS folder for extra compatibility. (Some players expect it to be present.)

If I could play a TS folder, I wouldn't need to burn it.
    You can. Apple DVD Player and VLC will play VIDEO_TS folders from your hard disk.
    Apple DVD Player: File > Open DVD Media > select VIDEO_TS folder > click Choose > click Play on the Controller
    VLC: Drag-and-drop the VIDEO_TS folder to the VLC icon
    Or: VLC: File > Open disc > check VIDEO_TS directory > browse to VIDEO_TS folder > click OK
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Possible workaround: Mount as image, then use MTR
    That's what I've been trying to do with a VIDEO_TS file but MTR says: 'READ ERROR! Can't open VMG info', followed by 'I/O ERROR! Can't |Read DVD Title Set Info'. I have no idea what this means. Is my file corrupted maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for your responses.

Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Possible workaround: Mount as image, then use MTR or some other ripping tool. The result should then not provoke any warnings about CSS.
    I found the following earlier thread and encountered the same problems as the original poster when trying to create an image for MTR, but, when I tried the suggested applet a while ago, the applet worked fine.
    Originally Posted by ArtemisG3
    Try this. I have attached a droplet which uses mkisofs to create a UDF dvd image (which Disk Utility cannot do). Decompress the zip file. Create a folder which contains only your VIDEO_TS folder. Drop that new folder onto the Make DVD-IMG.app droplet. Once a dialog pops up saying that DVD image is complete, double-click the image to mount it, and run MacTheRipper on the image.

mkisofs_droplet.zip
    Originally Posted by ArtemisG3
    ehmjay, i fixed the droplet to handle spaces (although you probably shouldn't have spaces in DVD names anyway). Also, when it prompts you to select a folder, select where you want the image saved (ie. don't select the DVD folder).

makedvd-img2.zip
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic321233.html

Lately, however, the applet does not work with MTR. The error message in the applet is something to the effect of "cannot make image from this file", and MTR ignores the file. Since the error message appears for both downloads that Toast thinks are encrypted and those that it accepts are not encrypted, I presume there is some issue with the applet and MTR.

I have tried both Toast and the disc utility to burn the files, but the best I can get is another TS folder.

Originally Posted by Case
    Thanks for the suggestion, but how is the resulting UDF DVD played?
    Same as any other DVD disc. If the VIDEO_TS folder is to DVD specs, then the UDF disc with that folder should play fine. You may want to add an empty AUDIO_TS folder for extra compatibility. (Some players expect it to be present.)
    If I could play a TS folder, I wouldn't need to burn it.
    You can. Apple DVD Player and VLC will play VIDEO_TS folders from your hard disk.
    Apple DVD Player: File > Open DVD Media > select VIDEO_TS folder > click Choose > click Play on the Controller
    VLC: Drag-and-drop the VIDEO_TS folder to the VLC icon
    Or: VLC: File > Open disc > check VIDEO_TS directory > browse to VIDEO_TS folder > click OK
    Approach 1--Double Burn

I added an AUDIO_TS file by simply manually typing "AUDIO_TS" as the title of a new folder and dragging it into Toast. When I try to play the DVD having both video and audio folders in DVD Player using the method you suggest, the error message reads "The media type is not supported. Also, MTR will not recognize the disc. So, I dragged only the VIDEO_TS file from the DVD_ROM (that has a blank AUDIO_TS file, but not dragging the AUDIO_TS file) to Toast and, lo and behold, it burned properly as a regular video DVD using the TS folder tab. So a "TS folder burn of a DVD-ROM (UDF)" seems to overcome the "phantom" CSS problem.

However, when I copy the newly burned DVD into a hard drive folder and then try to burn another disc in Toast from the VIDEO_TS file in the hard drive folder, the CSS encryption problem reappears. So, I can burn in Toast using the TS folder only from the DVD-ROM (UDF) disc. (I also can use the Copy tab to copy the "TS folder burn of a DVD-ROM (UDF)" disc.)

Approach 2--DVD Player+Applet

The DVD-ROM (UDF--with only VIDEO_TS folder, not AUDIO_TS) disc does not appear in Finder, but does appear in the disc utility:
    Name : VIDEO_TS copy
    Type : Volume
    Disk Identifier : disk4
    Mount Point : /Volumes/VIDEO_TS copy
    File System : Universal Disk Format
    Connection Bus : USB
    Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/USB3@1D,2
    Writable : No
    Capacity : 2.7 GB (2,887,155,712 Bytes)
    Used : 2.7 GB (2,886,615,040 Bytes)
    Number of Files : 10
    I cannot drag the disc from the disc utility into the Finder.

When simply using ">" (play), the Apple DVD Player produces the error "Supported disc not available".

Interestingly though, I went back to the disc I burned using the applet mentioned above, and it works in the Apple DVD Player using your suggested method. Many thanks! (I could not eject the DVD in Apple DVD player because the "Supported disc not available" error appeared. Also, the DVD will not play in a standalone player.) Will someone who has a PC be able to play a UDF disc easily? When I try to play the file in WMA, the error message indicates it is an unsupported format.

I presume there is an easier way to do this, but the straightforward suggestions did not seem to work this time. Fortunately, this problem has occurred in only 3 of many video downloads I encounter. Unfortunately, this problem has occurred in 3 . . .

Again, thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys,
    All I did was drag the VIDEO_TS folder from my downloads to the desktop. The problem goes away.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the advice in this thread but I have a similar problem with different results and am wondering if anyone can advise me. I have a DVD-R of a soccer match that will not play on my set-top DVD player and will load, but not play, on Apple's DVD player. With Apple's player, the main menu appears on the DVD but when I select a title, nothing happens and when I press play the player freezes and then closes. When I try to Rip the DVD with MTR I get the 'READ ERROR! Can't open VMG info', followed by 'I/O ERROR! Can't Read DVD Title Set Info'.

I can drag and drop the files from the DVD onto my computer (this is one of those DVD-Rs that has a VIDEO_RM folder as well as a VIDEO_TS folder). I can open the VIDEO_TS folder with MyDVDEdit and fix the bad sectors. But when I try to create a Disk Image with Toast under the Video Tab, Toast crashes. Moreover, the individual VOB files appear as 30 second files when they are longer (the total DVD is a bit more than 90 minutes).

I can open the folder from my desktop, but not the DVD--old or new version--with VLC and it plays the complete match from that folder.

I burned the folders (post MyDVDEdit repair) with Toast's data tab (DVD-ROM (UDF)] but the newly burned DVD has the same problems.

Any advice about ways to fix this problem? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the BUP and IFO files but I can't solve the problem through my normal process when I run into bad IFO/BUP files (i.e., drag the VOB/VOBs into Toast's Video Tab and burn, which creates new BUP and IFO files). Is there something I could do with MyDVDEdit? Or is there a program that will fix those files? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can open it in MPEG Streamclip then choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose convert to MPEG from the File menu and use that MPEG in Toast. The problem with the 30-second files is timecode breaks created by a standalone DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    If you can open it in MPEG Streamclip then choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose convert to MPEG from the File menu and use that MPEG in Toast. The problem with the 30-second files is timecode breaks created by a standalone DVD recorder.
    Brilliant. That did the trick. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post, so go easy.... anyways I found out what was causing this False CSS encryption.

If your VIDEO_TS folder resides in another folder and that folder name includes these characters "[]" it was giving a false CSS encryption message every time. In my case my DVD encoding software was taking the filename and putting it in a folder with the same name, thus creating the brackets in the folder name. Remove any obscure charachters from the FOLDER names and it will start working.

My folder structure was as follows:

Movie_name [2009] --> Movie_name [2009] --> VIDEO_TS

I had to remove both sets of brackets from both folder names.

Hope this helps everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed that there are references in this thread to a couple droplets I created a while back (mkisofs_droplet.zip and makedvd-img2.zip). Those have been improved upon and renamed to DVD Image Utility. For creating DVD image files, simply drop your DVD folder onto the DVD Image Utility icon, and choose where to save the DVD image file. For burning of DVDs, simply drop your DVD image file onto the DVD Image Utility and insert a blank disc. Find DVD Image Utility here. Scroll past the technical explanation to find the download link.

DVD Image Utility
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool! Thanks, ArtemisG3!
    Quote Quote  
  16. the last version of LiquidCD (Leopard only) uses mkisofs too to produce the most compatible DVD-Video.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was totally the answer for me. The enclosed video had [person_name] in it. I removed the brackets and all was fine.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by hybridmike
    This is my first post, so go easy.... anyways I found out what was causing this False CSS encryption.

If your VIDEO_TS folder resides in another folder and that folder name includes these characters "[]" it was giving a false CSS encryption message every time. In my case my DVD encoding software was taking the filename and putting it in a folder with the same name, thus creating the brackets in the folder name. Remove any obscure charachters from the FOLDER names and it will start working.

My folder structure was as follows:

Movie_name [2009] --> Movie_name [2009] --> VIDEO_TS

I had to remove both sets of brackets from both folder names.

Hope this helps everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a Mac user and have downloaded quite a few of these movies and the easiest fix that I have found is to create a new folder and drag the VIDEO_TS folder into it. Trash the original folder, name your new folder and you're good to go. This is easy and takes only seconds to complete and everything will work as it should.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Often times the simplest solution works.

Follow hybridmike's advice, as simply removing the [square brackets] from the folder names seriously (and strangely) works. At least, I tested with Toast 10.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another Useful Tool is Dragon Burn. I haven't updated since version 4.1.20.

The Fast way to do it is to take your VIDEO_TS Folder and copy out of your image or where ever it resides to a folder on your hard drive. Start Dragon Burn, Select New Layout, Select Video, VIDEO_TS.

A window will open, drag the CONTENTS of your VIDEO_TS Folder into the VIDEO_TS Folder in the window. Name the DVD (Double Click on the name box and you can change the name. I use all caps and underscores to name them... most dvd's I have seen are labeled this way.

Then hit the Burn Button. I select the slowest speed for the burn, (Less errors).. NOTE: Before you burn, go into the preferences under GENERAL and select it to verify after write.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by monk daddy
    burn using dvd2onex.
    Hi,

I am Mac user and deleting the brackets in the folder name worked fine.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote