VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone. I have a problem that I can not figure out. I found this website and it appears to have gord and gords of knowledge on here.

My problem is this....

I have a Free To Air (FTA) Satellite Receiver. I have a channel that broadcasts in MPEG4 1080I. This looks great on my plasma TV!! Anyhow, the receiver also has PVR functions. I want to be able to record an hour show and then burn it to a DVD for school.

When I record something in MPEG4 1080I, I am left with a 1.5 gb .trp file. I can play anything that is MPEG2, SD or HD, I can play some MPEG4, up to 720P. I have tried VLC, FantasyDVD, a boat load of different CODEC packs, as well as many versions of Media Player Classic. I have been able to get the audio to work on a file every once in a while.

Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to watch/convert a TRP file?

I am running windows vista Ultimate. The processor speed of my PC is fine (2.6 Pentium Dual Core). Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Knox
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From what I can gather, that's just a form of a transport stream, more often seen with a .ts extension. There are several tools that may be able to work with it here. Some freeware:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/digitaltv-dvb-hdtv

If they don't like the .trp extension, try renaming one to .ts

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The problem with the mpeg4 TRP files is that they would need to somehow be converted to mpeg2 before they could be burned onto a DVD. I don't know of any program out there that will do this. The mpeg2's would be no problem to convert, using a program like Video ReDo. The problem is Video Redo, and every other program like it that I can think of, will not accept mpeg4 files. Maybe someone else might possibly know of such a program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do they need to be converted to be burned ? You can burn anything as data. You may simply have to demux the content, then remux in a more familiar format to get something to play it back.

If they can be converted to a friendlier form then they can be loaded via avisynth script into and encoder and encoded as mpeg-2. Mainconcept should be able to encode at HD res. I believe tmpgenc plus can as well. ProCoder 3 has a set of HD presets for everything up to 1080i.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not take me as being rude or inconsiderate......

I have searched all over the internet for this question/problem and have found more answers from people saying it can not be done.

I appreciate the suggestions/programs.... Has anyone here actually used a program and successfully and consistently been able to watch a MPEG4 TRP file?

On anything but a 1080I MPEG4 file, I can watch it no problem. For example, I have an hour long show that was MPEG4 720P. I can drag and drop it in Media Player Classic, without renaming it to a .ts file and it plays great. It's those darn MPEG4 1080I files. I wish there was a place where I could post a file and you guys could play around with it to see if you can get it to work.

I have two other computer wiz's that think they can get it to work on their PC's. I have stuck a 1.5 gb trp file on a DVD for them and they'll get them this week.

IF, IF, IF, I happen to get this to work, I will post all results.

Knox
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having more success....

I thought that I would try my work PC (Windows XP).

I downloaded the latest copy of Media Player Classic from a website and downloaded the latest copy of FFD show.

It plays, but the audio is a little slow and the picture just lags more and more behind the audio, the longer you let it play.

My work PC is Sssssslllllloooooowwwwww. I finally got upgraded to 1gb of memory last week (was 512mb)

Processor is a Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz single core.

Knox
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect your playback issues are simply because your PC is not powerful enough.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a file in this format to play with. All our digital broadcasts, now and for the foreseeable future, are simple mpeg-2 transport streams.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took off every codec package and media player that I had on my home system.

I installed the same Media Player Classic and FFDshow on my home PC.

The audio is better, but still gets to really lagging behind video. The video is still not right, lots of horizontal lines and some pixalation.

I have a 2.8 Ghz Dual Core processor with 2 gb of memory.

I don't think it's a speed/memory problem now. I installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and it jacked it all up.

Any suggestion on other codec packs to use?

Knox
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDShow is as close to a codec pack as I would recommend. Any other is just going to risk screwing up your system big time. I would also try VLC, if you haven't already. Horizontal lines sounds like interlacing, which is normal.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried VLC. It's really odd..... I've never used the program, so I'm not exactly sure how it should act. I install VLC, then open up the player, then drag my file into it so that it will start to play. BUT, it plays it at about 10 times the speed it should be playing and there is no video or sound...

Dunno really...........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to dissappoint you, but as far as I know there is nothing public that can convert those Mpeg 4 1080i's to anything as of yet, been there, done that already, asked on every sat/dvd forum, nobody really know the answer, so for now all we can do is just wait and hope for the better :(
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey there knoxville convertx to dvd it will do .trp to perfect dvd .. when you use it it will not see the file but then just select all files and then choose it and then just click convert it will convert to dvd then ask you if you want to burn to dvd .. now it has a default location for the files to a temp location you can change that and then take the vob files and convert to divx ,avi ot what ever you want ..

i know some people just try to change the .ext to mpg and it will sometimes play with older codec but you still will not be able to burn to dvd or convert .. good luck ..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Auto Gordian Knot at http://www.autogk.me.uk/

It's free and it installs nicely. Converts .trp from FTA into AVI and can manipulate or create DVD from there. The program "looks" like it hangs when you try and do the conversion but you need to let it run and do it's thing to demux. It might take an hour or so of "just waiting" but it' actually working.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone is currently seeking a program to edit, convert and create DVDs out of .trp files, a good program is VideoReDo TV Suite
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,

Perhaps you can tell me how you got videreo to accept your .trp file when i try it it won't accept it.
    I tried the pro version and the tv suite also.

I would really be interested in learning about this.

I would acctually like to convert movies to .trp format.

Thanks....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a program that will do any FTA PVR format files and convert to what ever else including DVD. It is called DVR-Studio Pro. It will handle TRP files very nicely.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey RavRob,

I just joined this site, and so far I think it is very informative and helpful.

I have used DVR-Studio Pro a couple of times to convert TRP files to MPEG and both times the video lags behind audio by about 2-3 seconds. I realy like the program, but have not figured out how to correct the lagging issue. Do you or anyone else has any suggestions?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .trp HD MPEG4 files can be converted with Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/.Here are some settings

that work.

Choose h.264 codec, change the anamorphic settings from strict to none, and put in manually the width of 1440

(Or what ever the original size is). Leave the height blank. Make sure 2 pass is checked and turbo is checked as

well.

Bitrate under the video use from 1300 to 4100.(bigger number=bigger file) Audio sample rate to 44, and the

bitrate to 80.

Under the advanced tab, reset all at the bottom and paste in the following line:

level=4.1:ref=5:bframes=3ubme=6:me=umh:bime:weig htb

This will output a mpeg4 file that can be played by VLC, and Sony PS3. There may be others but I have verified

these 2. This file can be converted to nearly any format from here using TMPGEnc 4.0 Express or AVS Video

converter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by solman
    Perhaps you can tell me how you got videreo to accept your .trp file when i try it it won't accept it.
    I tried the pro version and the tv suite also.
    VideoReDo doesn't yet support mp4 (h264) format hence it will reject the .trp file. TRP can be renamed to .ts, however, it's not proper way to do it as it has a bit different structure than .ts. You may use TS-Doctor: http://www.cypheros.de to convert it to correct .ts. I'm not sure but perhaps TsRemux / Ts4Np may handle the file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. -- DELETED --

Free Converter that will do ALL formats.
    This is simply the best!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    planethax, please do not link to torrent sites that contain Warez. I've removed the link.

The freeware SUPER program is available in our 'Tools' section to the left.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know its been a while since this thread has been live, but I too have a fta reciever and have been converting my .trp files using "convertXtoDVD" software. Its not freeware, but it works perfectly for the 2 hour blocks I put on dvd. Just gotta use quality dvds to get the most out of it. Anyway..hope this helps.

I am here looking to convert the .trp files to put onto my zune...ive got it working just voice issues matching the mouth..
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdrw1
    .trp HD MPEG4 files can be converted with Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/.Here are some settings

that work.

Choose h.264 codec, change the anamorphic settings from strict to none, and put in manually the width of 1440

(Or what ever the original size is). Leave the height blank. Make sure 2 pass is checked and turbo is checked as

well.

Bitrate under the video use from 1300 to 4100.(bigger number=bigger file) Audio sample rate to 44, and the

bitrate to 80.

Under the advanced tab, reset all at the bottom and paste in the following line:

level=4.1:ref=5:bframes=3ubme=6:me=umh:bime:weig htb

This will output a mpeg4 file that can be played by VLC, and Sony PS3. There may be others but I have verified

these 2. This file can be converted to nearly any format from here using TMPGEnc 4.0 Express or AVS Video

converter.
    It worked! But took over 8 hours to convert a 30 minute video in mpeg4 over 1gb.. video went down to 280mb and it looks great..
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super should do the trick and it is free. Handbrake also good and also free.

http://www.erightsoft.com/Superdc.html

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .trp files play perfectly with SMPlayer
    Quote Quote  
  26. I renamed trp to mpg and am watching on my gom player
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have great success with TRP files by processing through Streamclip. Open the trp and select 'convert to mpeg with mp2 audio', this is good for DVD.

download here
    http://www.squared5.com/
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nightskystar
    I have great success with TRP files by processing through Streamclip. Open the trp and select 'convert to mpeg with mp2 audio', this is good for DVD.

download here
    http://www.squared5.com/
    Some hope here, will try it soon.

It's 1 month i'm looking for a solution to convert them quickly, need to empty my 250gb HDD filled with .TRP files...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD seems to work great for the simple 1 file.trp. How about when the *.TRP is divided up into multiple files such as *.001, *.002... How do you put them back to single TRP file? Or how do you deal with multiple parts of TRP file?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by nobodyski
    ConvertXtoDVD seems to work great for the simple 1 file.trp. How about when the *.TRP is divided up into multiple files such as *.001, *.002... How do you put them back to single TRP file? Or how do you deal with multiple parts of TRP file?
    if they come with par files you may be able to use them.Try running the par files and then click repair when they're done or auto repair.
    If you don't have quick par it's a free download.
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download.htm

or you can use master splitter
    http://www.tomasoft.com/download.htm
    master splitter will keep asking you to register and donate but you may keep using it
    Either one should rejoin the split files but if they include par files,quick par will also check for, and repair any damaged files
    Quote Quote