VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Would be nice if it was sata, looking for highest quality burner/reader. If their is a brand that has riplock but has a bypass mode (hold eject button for 3 seconds) im fine with that.

if their is not a fast ripping lightscriber, is their one that is easily modded?

thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check out the LG or Samsung. Riplock can be removed using MediaCodeSpeedEdit easy enough.

Maybe there's others, too, but I know LG and Samsung work with MCSE and both have Lightscribe drives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want a LG drive get the LGH62L which uses the renesas chipset or get a SAMSUNG 183L or SAMSUNG 203N.
    Quote Quote  
  4. so is the samsung a top notch drives compared to liteon/nec/lg ?

do they have riplocks on them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hellbringer
    so is the samsung a top notch drives compared to liteon/nec/lg ?

do they have riplocks on them?
    The LG's have riplock but by using MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT the read speed can be increased.
    LITEON's have no riplock but there are hacked firmware to enable faster reading.
    The latest SAMSUNG drives the S203, S203N don't have riplock as well but there is hacked firmware to enable faster reading. The latest SAMSUNG drives are the top drives at the present moment. Check out the SAMSUNG, LG, LITEON/SONY, PIONEER & NEC forums at Cdfreaks.com. I like my SAMSUNG S203B drives as they are good readers for discs that are scratched.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only caveat with the Samsung 203b is it doesn't play well with all chipsets. I had to uninstall the Jmicron Sata Raid drivers just to update the firmware on the 203b. Using the Jmicron chipset Microsoft drivers ripping went to hell, 21 minutes versus 8:35 on my Benq DW1650. If bitsetting to DVD-ROM is important, then forget it. The only one that worked was Nero 8.

And yes I tried Codekings firmware. And no I won't buy a SATA pci card since I have 7 internal sata ports on my Asus P5B deluxe.

The 203b is one fast quality burner, but if you can live with the above then get one.

Scotty
    Quote Quote  
  7. alright thx alot everyone, looks like ill go with one of the samsungs. and cdfreaks appears to be down?

ill have to buy a mouse with my new burners as my bird just chewed through my mousewheel, i can only roll it halfway now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The old guy
    The only caveat with the Samsung 203b is it doesn't play well with all chipsets. I had to uninstall the Jmicron Sata Raid drivers just to update the firmware on the 203b. Using the Jmicron chipset Microsoft drivers ripping went to hell, 21 minutes versus 8:35 on my Benq DW1650. If bitsetting to DVD-ROM is important, then forget it. The only one that worked was Nero 8.

And yes I tried Codekings firmware. And no I won't buy a SATA pci card since I have 7 internal sata ports on my Asus P5B deluxe.

The 203b is one fast quality burner, but if you can live with the above then get one.

Scotty
    yup, there's problems with the SATA chipsets on mobo's that have VIA, JMICRON & NVIDIA drivers. but there were some that were successful in using the SAMSUNG S203B drive by using the latest NVIDIA drivers or by using the MICROSOFT IDE drivers.

i did a test by connectiing one of my S203B drives to a ASUS mobo that had the NVIDIA ide drivers and the drive wouldn't work correctly. so i uinstalled the NVIDIA ide drivers and let windows install the MICROSOFT IDE drivers. the drive then worked correctly w/out any problems.
    Quote Quote