VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm new to all this - just bought an HV20 and trede to capture video onto my PC but am having no end of problems....

Firstly - I tried Ulead VS11 but it the "capture button" is greyed out so I cant even start captruing it in there. I then Tried using HDVSplit after reading some forum posts, and this seems to work OK, but the captured video has some flickering horizontal lines across it. Hard to describe - they seem most prominent when the camera is moving.

Any ideas? Is my graphics card not up to it? I have a Geforce 7300GT 128MB and I;ve just built my PC, core2Duo 2.67 + 3GB RAM so I think my PC should be high enough spec....Maybe I have got some settings wrong somewhere? Doesn;t seem to be much to mess around with on HDVSplit so am I doing something wrong the camcorder end? I tried playing it straight into my TV via HDMI and it looks spot on - no flickering lines present.

Joe
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I tried CAPDVHS too and got the same flickering lines.

I'd be REALLY grateful if someboyd coudl let me know where I am going wrong....

Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you unaware that you bought an HDV camcorder? You can set it for normal DV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am aware that my camcorder is HDV - I'm trying to capture the footage I have shot onto my PC so I can edit it. Like I say, HDVSplit works apart from the horizontal lines whenever there is any kind of movememnt in the footage.......

I'd like to be able to play back the edited footage on my HD TV ultimately.......

Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to describe the problem better. Post a screen shot of the "flickering"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to do a printscreen, but can;t even get that to work - it just gives me a blank frame :'o(

I'll keep working on that one....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I managed to figure out how to printscreen from media player - the attached screenshot shows the problem - particularly round the legs of the people.

Joe

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interlacing. Your camera shoots in 1080i - the i means it is interlaced. You won't see those lines on your TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As the guns1inger sayeth, it's normal interlacing artifacts. There's nothing wrong with your camera - you're just learning how to use it. You can play back the video with deinterlacing turned on and the horizontal lines will be gone.

Interlaced

Deinterlaced

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah ok - thanks for the help guys )

So do I need to edit it on the PC, then save it in 2 different formats, one for TV and one for PC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far all sounds normal.

You'll need VideoStudio 11 Plus if you want to capture and edit in HDV mode. Otherwise switch the cam to DV transfer and edit in standard definition DV format.
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1177439577322

If you want to shoot and tape HDV but transfer normal standard def DV 480i make the switch here.
    Note: Your PAL model will show "576i"

You have four format choices with the HV20. If you want to try progressive 24fps make the choice here.
    You will need a tripod and controlled camera movement for best results at 24p.

I suggest "HD Standard" 1080i 25 fps (50 fields per sec) for normal shooting.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jmunns
    ...... just bought an HV20 and tried to capture video onto my PC but am having no end of problems....I tried Ulead VS11 but it the "capture button" is greyed out so I cant even start captruing it in there. I then tried using HDVSplit after reading some forum posts, and this seems to work OK, but the captured video has some flickering horizontal lines across it. Hard to describe - they seem most prominent when the camera is moving.....Joe
    Joe, firstly Ulead VS11+ won't capture HDV from your HV20. I also have one and had the same problems. If took a month of back and forth with Corel before they admitted that it wouldn't do it. I now capture with WinDv. I tried HDVSplit, but I couldn't get it to recognise the camera being there. Any suggestions? I tried opening HDVSplit before and after turning on the camera and it still wouldn't see the camera there. I use Sony Vegas 7 for my editing, but this, like VS11+ fails after a few minutes of capture and I don't now why. I would love a solution to that if anyone has one.

P.S. Joe, check out http://www.hv20.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jmunns
    I tried playing it straight into my TV via HDMI and it looks spot on - no flickering lines present.

Joe
    An HDTV handles 576i or 1080i fine. A computer has a progressive only screen so you will see two fields shot 1/25th sec apart ... hence the "lines". A deinterlacing player like Power DVD, WinDVD or VLC will optimize interlace playback for computer display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kadzbiz
    ...... just bought an HV20 and tried to capture video onto my PC but am having no end of problems....I tried Ulead VS11 but it the "capture button" is greyed out so I cant even start captruing it in there. I then tried using HDVSplit after reading some forum posts, and this seems to work OK, but the captured video has some flickering horizontal lines across it. Hard to describe - they seem most prominent when the camera is moving.....Joe
    Joe, firstly Ulead VS11+ won't capture HDV from your HV20. I also have one and had the same problems. If took a month of back and forth with Corel before they admitted that it wouldn't do it. I now capture with WinDv. I tried HDVSplit, but I couldn't get it to recognise the camera being there. Any suggestions? I tried opening HDVSplit before and after turning on the camera and it still wouldn't see the camera there. I use Sony Vegas 7 for my editing, but this, like VS11+ fails after a few minutes of capture and I don't now why. I would love a solution to that if anyone has one.

P.S. Joe, check out http://www.hv20.com
    I've got the NTSC model HV20 and haven't had any HDV capture issues with Vegas 6d or 8 (I skipped 7). Maybe there is a PAL specific issue.

I don't have Video Studio 11 Plus. I was just referencing their spec.

I'll have to try HDVsplit. Others have said it works for the NTSC HV20.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've got the NTSC model HV20 and haven't had any HDV capture issues with Vegas 6d or 8 (I skipped 7). Maybe there is a PAL specific issue.

I don't have Video Studio 11 Plus. I was just referencing their spec.

I'll have to try HDVsplit. Others have said it works for the NTSC HV20.[/quote]

I have the NTSC version also. I just tried using an external hard drive to capture to and also the idea of plugging in the firewire after the camera is turned on. Still can't get HDVSplit to work. Vegas froze after about 40 seconds even if I didn't start capture. Just the fact that the camera was connected by firewire still made Vegas capture freeze. I dunno. What's up with that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the NTSC version also. I just tried using an external hard drive to capture to and also the idea of plugging in the firewire after the camera is turned on. Still can't get HDVSplit to work. Vegas froze after about 40 seconds even if I didn't start capture. Just the fact that the camera was connected by firewire still made Vegas capture freeze. I dunno. What's up with that?
    Another to try is CapDVHS. It grabs the MPeg2 stream as M2T but uses its own time code.

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by edDV
    Another to try is CapDVHS. It grabs the MPeg2 stream as M2T but uses its own time code.
    Um, I've loaded it on. Run it, but don't know what the heck to do to start capturing. Said to add a job. I see the button, but how do I add a job. If you can give me a step by step, that would be great. The camera looks like it's acknowledged as being connected.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm new to all this - just bought an HV20 and trede to capture video onto my PC but am having no end of problems....

Firstly - I tried Ulead VS11 but it the "capture button" is greyed out so I cant even start captruing it in there. I then Tried using HDVSplit after reading some forum posts, and this seems to work OK, but the captured video has some flickering horizontal lines across it. Hard to describe - they seem most prominent when the camera is moving.

Any ideas? Is my graphics card not up to it? I have a Geforce 7300GT 128MB and I;ve just built my PC, core2Duo 2.67 + 3GB RAM so I think my PC should be high enough spec....Maybe I have got some settings wrong somewhere? Doesn;t seem to be much to mess around with on HDVSplit so am I doing something wrong the camcorder end? I tried playing it straight into my TV via HDMI and it looks spot on - no flickering lines present.

Joe
    See my post about DirectX in the other thread "Canon hv20, 24p hdv, and recommended capture method?"
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have finally been able to capture the m2t files. I used vegas 7 to do it, but I had to make sure that I set my canon hv20's video output mode to HDV/DV and not DV Locked. This made all the difference. HDVSplit worked also. Finally, I am happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have finally been able to capture the m2t files. I used vegas 7 to do it, but I had to make sure that I set my canon hv20's video output mode to HDV/DV and not DV Locked. This made all the difference. HDVSplit worked also. Finally, I am happy.
    Yes that is important. Good to hear you have it fixed.

About all you need to do with CapDVHS is set a capture file in this menu (at bottom).

Quote Quote