VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My HP laptop has a CD-R/RW-DVD ROM installed.

I'd like to upgrade it to DVDR/RW.

I realize laptops aren't usually candidates for many upgrades, but I've had the unit open to upgrade to a larger HD, so I'm fairly familiar with its innards and removing/replacing the CD/DVD doesn't look too difficult.

When looking at the installed CDR/DVD ROM unit, it appears to be of the same "form factor" (size/shape, etc.) of some replacement DVDR's available from various suppliers. Of course, I'm only looking at photos onscreen when comparing with what I can see in the laptop.

So, does anyone have any experience with such an upgrade? HP doesn't show a DVDR/RW unit available for my laptop (Model XE3 GE, AMD Athlon 1.1ghz) due to its age, but some of these replacement units sure looking tempting!

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the dvd units will usually fit but.... the front face plate never does. the standard ones you buy tend to have a flat plate and the notebooks are almost always curved. not many are interchangable with the original either.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have upgraded a Dell 600M from combo to DVD-RW.

It required quite alot of research - the specifics are hard to locate on Dell's website.

Hopefully, HP is easier.

What's the HP model no.?

If I locate any info, I'll post it.

BTW: On my Dell, the drive that I installed was from a newer model.

The case matched
    The socket matched
    The specific drive was read by and works with XP
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar CD-R/RW-DVD ROM unit in my HP laptop. It died on me and I replaced it with the same unit. About $140US two years ago. But you should be able to replace it with a burner, though I don't know that for a fact.

Some replacement burners from Newegg for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+1036508673&name...lim+DVD+Burner If you can find one that fits in there, should work. The faceplate, as mentioned, may be a problem. It should work, maybe need a tiny bit of trimming and may stick out a little.

I also should mention I found a complete maintenance manual for my laptop on a HP site that helped immeasurably to show the exact sequence of disassembly. Thanks HP, for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.priorityelectronics.com/hp/f3925-60938-1.htm

F3925-60938 HP Omnibook XE3, XE-GE and XE3-GF Series 6X Laptop DVD Drive

Product Info:
    6X

Manufactured by: HP

F3925-60938
    F3925-69938

$120

NOT a DVD-RW only a combo.

Doesn't appear to be much out there - you may get lucky and find another model that hooks up the same, and get windows to recognize it.

Were it mine, to be on the safe side, I'd build an external drive - not as convenient, but known to work.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote