VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like my privacy. Why are my activities being logged on my own PC? The logs that I'm referring to are found in Windows XP Pro:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\*.*

RitIt4Me: Debug.log
    ImgBurn: ImgBurn.txt
    WinDVD: There is a file in bookmarks of every DVD I have ever viewed.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\ImgBurn.txt on your PC and read the log. Everything you have ever burnt using ImageBurn is listed! I don't know why these files are being created, but I know what the Delete button is for. Also, I don't check for updates until something does not work. If you check for updates every time you use a program are your activities being reported? Have you found other logs or .txt files that track your activities without your knowledge or consent?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only thing listed in my imgburn log is the last image burned. singular.

some programs like dvdshrink keep a log so that if you ever need to re-do the same dvd it doesn't have to waste your time and rescan it. probably the same with many other programs. time savings and ease of use.

if you are so paranoid run your comp locked up tight with a firewall that shuts off all in and outbound packets. OR don't do anything that will get you in trouble on your computer and you won't have to worry about it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Run a firewall that blocks outgoing packets like the free version of Zone Alarm and you may be surprised how many programs 'Phone home'. Generally they are just checking for updates. You can also train it to let though packets from programs that you have approved.

There are also some programs that can automatically clean specified files when you shut down your computer. I do this with Window Washer, mostly to keep the temp and temp internet files from taking up too much space. But you can use it or similar programs to keep your unnecessary files cleaned up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can only speak for ImgBurn here but the log is saved in case you need to report an issue, that's all.

I think 90% of the people that post on my forum do so without thinking to post a log - yeah, that's helpful!

So my first response to them is to post the log - only obviously they'd have closed the program and hence lost the 'running' log. That's when the 'saved' one is invaluable.

If you don't want ImgBurn to save the current log when it closes, just turn it off in the settings - you'll find it on the 'Events' tab.

Also, nothing gets reported when it checks for updates. All it does is download a 2 line plain text file (about 17 bytes in size!) and compare the version number within that against the one of the ImgBurn.exe being run. Updates should also be weekly now (or fortnightly, I can't quite remember) - well, at least on a 'clean' install anyway.

I have NO interest at all in anything you may or may not be burning, really I don't!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As stupid as it sounds to keep a log, both WinDVD and PowerDVD do this for every DVD you watch. If you stop the DVD before finishing, both will offer to restart it for you at the place you last watched.

Maybe you need to buy another PC, keep it off the internet, and just use it for your activities if you are worried about monitoring. I'm not joking. This is a possible solution for your worries.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Lightning UK for giving me an off switch for logs and a reason why they are there in the first place. Makes sense. I'm thinking about removing the lead lining from my tinfoil hat. I'd really like to know all the programs that are logging on my PC and how to turn them off. Privacy is a big issue over here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As mentioned, run a software firewall that informs you what programs are wanting to access the internet and block them if you like. The logs themselves aren't the problem. They can be erased or deactivated most times, it's the internet access you want to control if you value your privacy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Use CCleaner to remove old logs:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    EDIT:the newest version includes "Gutmann" secure deletion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey redwudz. I put in a firewall and much to my supprize I found RipIt4Me trying to phone home after using the program. The firewall said/implied that RipIt4Me had attached a trojan to my email program and was transmitting something. I had to ok it to be able to check my email. I'm new at firewalls and still figuring all this out. Has anyone else found RipIt4Me phoning home? Or am I misreading something? Has anyone found a way to remove the trojan? Does deleting the DebugLog help? Is it transmitting the DebugLog or some other info?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well... It wouldn't surprise me if RipIt4Me would try to check for updates, though it will never find them. I doubt if it would try to use your Email, though, but anything is possible.

If you are running a proper Email antivirus program, even AVG scanning your outgoing mail, at least, you shouldn't have any creditable threats from that.

From experience, Trojans are out there, besides other malware. The best defense is to back up your essential files and be ready to re-install your OS if it all goes to hell on you. And stay out of places that try to deliver those problems, as much as possible. 8)

I just run my hardware and software firewall, a decent antivirus program, a couple of malware blockers, Spybot and Spyware Blaster at present, and I figure I am fairly safe. But I am always prepared to re-install my OS if needed.
    Quote Quote