VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a XP system with a 20Gb drive split in to two 10Gb c: and d:

d: is empty and i would like to place an image of the c: drive on it, or dvd, about 4GB of XP and drivers of a fresh install.

do you have a freeware tool in mind that could do the job?
    does it need to be installed on the c: or the d: to image the c:

it is not dual boot, it just has xp pro on the c: plus the relevant drivers and bits and peices that are required to get the machine on line, like modem drivers, audio drivers and a couple of programs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thankyou very much, i shall investigate and try it out.

xx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ---cd090580--- you beat me to it
    Here's one you might look into

DriveImage XML
    Image and Backup logical Drives and Partitions
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

From the Website:
    DriveImage XML is an easy to use and reliable program for imaging and backing up partitions and logical drives.

The program allows you to:
    # Backup logical drives and partitions to image files
    # Browse these images, view and extract files
    # Restore these images to the same or a different drive
    # Copy directly from drive to drive
    # Schedule automatic backups with your Task Scheduler

Image creation uses Microsoft's Volume Shadow Services (VSS), allowing you to create safe "hot images" even from drives currently in use.

Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!

Restore images to drives without having to reboot.

DriveImage XML runs under Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista only. The program will backup, image and restore drives formatted with FAT 12, 16, 32 and NTFS.

Since this program is currently distributed as freeware, we don't offer technical support for it. Please refer to the program's help file and documentation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you want a true drive copy, or simply a backup? An XML file is NOT a drive copy. A drive copy is when I can use the copy in exactly the same way as the original drive, an XML file is a backup requiring yet more software to access it.

Example. If c: partition becomes unusable, the D: should be able to boot and function as a substitute. An XML file will not do this, if c: craps out, you will not HAVE the "3rd party software" necessary to use what is on D:. You would be dead in the water, until you format another drive and install an OS.

Ghost is my preference, I have also used HD Clone (free, but SLOW) to make a true image copy. With both partitions on the same drive, frankly I would not bother. The drive goes, you lose both C: and D:, and your backup is both useless and a complete waste of time. Use a second drive, or burn the image to a DVD, even this is not ideal. Simply copy all needed drivers to a DVD.

A backup does no good if it is no longer accessible. Backing up to the same HD is just silly, without a second media being used. This is like storing your fire insurance policy in the house, when it burns to the ground, you got zilch.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what i really want to be able to do is make an image of my c drive as it is now, freshly installed, burn that to a dvd and then next time when the poop hits the fan i can slap the dvd in the pc drive, issue a few instructions and have the pc come back to the exact same state is was in when i took the image. i could store that image on the d: drive, but ideally i want a dvd backup of the data that will restore the machine

thank you for your advice and guidance, it is much appreciated

thankyou
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    xxclone will create a bootable drive copy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thankyou, this weekend I will download and give it a go.
    I'll let ya know how I got on monday / tuesday..........

thank you for your time

x

( in our house we have a 'old man' over for a beer every friday evening..... he has never been in the way!)
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oldandintheway,

HI and thanks.

as luck would have it, i have found time to D/l xxclone and as i type it is on said ex dead machine creating a file to my d:

can u offer any advice on how I should use that file once its generated?

should I burn it out to disc, and then subsequently, what commands would I use to re install it...

a link to any info you know would be handy, and if you have the time to type me a few instructions, i would show my gratitude by following them!

In the meatime I will try to find the homepage of xxclone and learn.......

thanks and have a nice weekend

x
    Quote Quote  
  9. Driveimage XML combined with BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and you have a quick and free backup/restore of your "C" partion (or any other partition).

Use BartPe to make a bootable CD/DVD with DriveImage XML included and boot to this CD?DVD and restore your image file. The image file can be included on the DVD or on another partion on the HD. Works really well for me.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for clearing that up andie41
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Beware that some of the tools mentioned (and I think Driveimage is one) will restore the image only to an identically sized partition.

If you are needing this image because your system gets hosed on a regular basis, it might be time to ask why that is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Is it a Seagate or Maxtor drive? If it's either one go to Seagates website and download the newest DiscWizard program. It's basically a customized Acronis True Image 10.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Question: Nelson 37 said, "or burn the image to a DVD, even this is not ideal. Simply copy all needed drivers to a DVD." I use Ghost to image my c drive to DVD. What kind of shortcomings does this method have? For example if hard drive is completely destroyed, after replacing hard drive can I use the DVD to re-image the c drive, or are there other steps involved?
    Quote Quote  
  14. You'll need a bootable disk, and Ghost either on a CD or floppy.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For quick and easy system restore DVD's, I use imageburn to create a bootable DVD that contains both Ghost.exe and the drive/partition image. Insert DVD turn on PC, 10-20 mins. later - like new.
    Quote Quote  
  16. IS Ghost free? When I do a search, I get directed to Symantec.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As best I know, Ghost is not free. With a bit of looking ver. 2003 / 8.x (DOS) can be found for a reasonable price.
    Quote Quote