VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I have a very simple question : is there a standalone DVD player, with USB 2.0 port, able to play DVD MOVIES from an external HDD? As it would be played from a disc ? With access to menus , subtitles etc?
    The HDD is suposed to be external powered and FAT32 formatted. I am not interested in playing mp3, or any avi files, just DVD MOVIES
    Thnx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I strongly doubt that. Anything on an external HDD would be treated as plain files.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'm blind, but where do you find that a Video DVD structure on a USB device would be treated and played back as a Video DVD?
    One problem with USB devices are that they must (at least those I've seen) be FAT32, and that excludes ISO images of Video DVD (in most cases, if it's not a very short clip).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. "DVD ISO and IFO Parsing Support"
    http://www.ziova.com/cs505_specs.php

"DVD ISO/IFO"
    http://www.z500series.com/specs.php

Both listed as "experimental". Maybe that means they must be less than 4GB. Or maybe it was only via network streaming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nevermind
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Based on the specs, this is just another player capable of playing many file types. It does list "ISO parsing" (although it is "experimental"), whatever that means, otherwise there is no indication that it will play DVD files/RIPS/images.

Do you have personal experience with this player?
    No, hence the "maybe". Although I'm pretty sure I read here a while back that someone was using the Ziova players this way.

Talk of ISO and IFO support at Ziova forums:

http://www.ziova.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3162
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much all of you! As it seems, the problem is complicated enough and the solution, far to expensive (Ziova).Also, regarding Ziova CS505, the reports are not so good ... I think I will give up... It's more easier to burn a RW instead of playing .iso DVD files via USB...If it's really possible... Did anyone tried this feature with Ziova?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine has one of the Philips players with the USB port and regularly plays AVI files on it. I've seen it and it worked fine. He has a 1GB Sandisk cruzer stick that he plugs into it. He started out time shifting tv shows on tape, then went to dvd re-writeables, (he can record video on his computer) now he just loads them on the Sandisk and plugs it into the Philips. It works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052
    A friend of mine has one of the Philips players with the USB port and regularly plays AVI files on it.
    I do that on my PS2 (mod chipped, running SMS).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ZIOVA CS505 has USB, plays External HDD and Memstiks in several AVI/MPG etc formats, HOWEVER, the Unit in General is a Peice of S#$%
    It Crashes all the time, has dozens of Bugs in its firmware and ZIOVA dont want to know......read their forums and see how many unhappy customers there are.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see why you don't simply burn the isos, since that is what they are meant for. The USB connection works great for converting your DVDs to divx/xvid, dropping them on a usb drive, and having a jukebox of movies from which to choose.
    That way, you would probably never run into the 4Gig problem.

I use the Phillips 5990, and it works great for this method.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can have a look at the Philips DVP-5992 DVD Player with USB 2.0 1080p HDMI Upconversion.
    Quote Quote