VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to make an old video tape into a DVD with menus. I am trying to get a .dv file I can edit in iMovie and burn in iDVD.

- Recorded a DVD of the old VHS tape with Phillips DVD recorder. The DVD is fine, and plays back fine on all systems I tried it on - so the data is OK. But no menus, so I want to go to iMovie and iDVD.

- Ripped the resulting DVD using Mac The Ripper. (Again, I know the data is OK, this program will alert you to any bad sectors on your disc.)

- Tried to encode the resulting VOB file to DV using ffmpegX

ffmpegX SAYS it encodes, but when I try to open the resulting .dv file in Quicktime Pro I get this error:

"The movie could not be opened - the end of the file was reached."

Tried encoding the same VOB to other formats (Mpeg4, H262, etc) and either get the "end of file" error, or a "The file is not a valid movie file" error.

NONE of the movies I create using ffmpegX can be read by Quicktime Pro or iMovie. I have a 2.4GHz Inel Core Duo and Mac OSX 10.4.10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Solved my own problem - I opened the VOB file in Toast 8 Titanium, and was able to Export it directly from there as a .dv file.

Looks like I wasted $15 and half my day on ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote