VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I have a Digitrex GK-3000 which has worked fine for a few years. Gradually it began to not read disks (all different types, but even new store-bought already-recorded DVDs) saying "Unknown disc". For a while we could do some tricky stuff where you eject and insert the disc quickly a couple of times and it might play, but now it just won't play anything.

I would update the firmware but it is an el cheapo so there is no serial etc port at the back. It is not to do with regions or anything as it is multi region brand new. I have looked on the internet quite a bit but can't find any other info. I got an idea, however, that cleaning it out with compressed air might help - only because I don't know what else to do.

If the player is dead then I will just buy another but I would prefer it if I tried all the options first. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Rosie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it was a cheap player to begin with I'd say chalk it up to a loss and get a new one. Sometimes its not really worth all the hassles. Just get another cheapie. Probably would do more than your old one did if you shop well. Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be that the player is wearing out. Cheap players use cheap components and they don't last. Players no longer have cooling fans in them, which means they have to rely on air cooling. If your DVD player is not in a very well ventilated place, it could be dying because of heat damage. In any event, cleaning is extremely unlikely to help it, but you could try that as a last resort. Just don't be surprised if you have to buy a new player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, you can try cleaning the lens with a lens cleaner disc. If you don't mind taking the player apart to some extent, you can take the outer shell off and try cleaning the lens directly (but carefully) with a good swab and cleaning solution. Sometimes, the only thing causing a player to stop recognizing discs is a dirty laser lens.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many players get their firmware updates by reading formware writen by a PC on a CD.

Can't read a CD - can't update firmware.

Cleaning the lens is a good suggestion. CD cleaning kits also work.

Lack of cooling and other components are probably not the case. It is probably the drive. If this unit uses a PC compatible drive and you have a DVD-ROM in a PC you'd like to replace with a burner, this is a great excuse
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions - it's pretty much as I thought. I don't have an issue with buying a new one and especially as it didn't cost me much to begin with - but being a tinkerer I naturally get some pleasure out of trying to resurrect something that is apparently dead. I'll try a few things then chuck it if no success!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Unknown disc problem might be a sign that the laser has worn out, probably due to using cheaper components in the construction. It happens. You can try cleaning the laser (do a search for how to do this), but your best option is probably to just buy a new player.
    Quote Quote