VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    SPAM
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For HD DVD players, you first have to choose which format you want. There are currently two, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. In making the format decision, you have to choose movie support (is there a particular movie(s) that you want, not all HD movies are in both formats) and cost.

HD-DVD is the cheapest to get started. The new Toshiba HD-A3 is a solid player http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A3-720p-1080i-Player/dp/B000U62N1S/ref=pd_ybh_2/103-7...01&pf_rd_i=ybh and can be found at many stores for about $200.

For Blu-Ray, you are looking at a PS3 (game console - the new version should sell for about $400) or a standalone player such as this Sony http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X22YTK/ref=br_fq_1/103-7282981-7977434 which sells for over $400.

Movies will run you about $20-35 for new releases. Catalog titles will be $15 and up.

You didn't state which TV you have, so I can only assume that you have a model that is HD ready.

And welcome to the forums.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's still an SD world. Why mess with that stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a high def TV? If not, it's a waste of money to buy either a BluRay or HD-DVD player. HD-DVD players are likely to be very cheap this Christmas. BluRay players have barely come down in price. Sony announced some price cuts but they won't happen this year. Some studios only make HD-DVDs and others only make BluRay. Most support both formats.

Assuming you have a high def TV, the cheapest HD-DVD players will only have a 1080i (i means interlaced) output. In theory 1080p (p means progressive) should be better, but if your HD TV (assuming you have one) doesn't support 1080p natively, then it would be a waste of money to buy anything but a cheap HD-DVD 1080i player. There aren't a lot of choices on players. Toshiba makes most of the HD-DVD players on the market.

It might be a good idea to post the make and model of your TV as others here could look up what your TV supports and give you an idea as to whether or not you should get the cheaper 1080i HD-DVD players or not. There probably isn't much difference between the output of the 1080i and 1080p players, to be honest. My TV supports 1080p natively and 1080i TV channels look great on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1
    It's still an SD world. Why mess with that stuff?
    Most current TV's support HD. A majority of current TV and cable shows are in HD. Anyone that has already purchased an HD TV to enjoy the new content, might as well enjoy HD video (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) content as well.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote