VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Adobe Premiere CS3
    How do I change the capture file format? It's currently mpeg. I want to change it to avi. I looked all threw the menu's. Strange that it defaults to mpeg. In Adobe Premiere 7 it defaulted to avi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing from what ? This may be a limitation of your capture card or drivers.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh sorry, capturing from a Cannon video camera.
    Well, it's the same video card/drivers I used with Adobe Premiere 7, and it let me capture to avi.
    There was a place to change the capture format that I saw, but it was disabled (grayed out)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a mini-DV camera then you should be capturing/transferring via firewire as DV avi. I would suggest you use WinDV in that case, and only use Premiere for editing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Mini HDV cam. Don't capture with Premiere? Ok, why not though? I am capturing via firewire. I will check out WinDV, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV is small, dedicated, and does only one thing, and does it well. It uses few system resources as well. If you really only have 128 mb ram then you will need small programs to get a clean transfer. I hope that is actually a typo, or Premiere is going to run like a three-legged dog.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    haha, haven't updated my profile in a while... I have 2 GB of ram. WinDV seems pretty old no?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is, but then the DV standard hasn't changed, so the software doesn't need updating.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is an HDV cam though... still ok? The video was recorded in HDV as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since when can Premiere capture with MPEG?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK becoming clear now.

HDV is MPeg2 and normally is captured and edited in native HDV project format or converted to a digital intermediate.

Why avi? What are your goals?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My goal is to rip in the highest quality possible I suppose. AVI is raw isn't it? Just a container. Mpeg-2 has compression right? I suppose the quality difference between the 2 is minimal right? That's what i've read anyway. This isn't a professional project, so i suppose mpeg will suffice. This is ultimately going to be a DVD so maybe staying with mpeg is better since DVD is mpeg. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djbryson
    My goal is to rip in the highest quality possible I suppose. AVI is raw isn't it? Just a container. Mpeg-2 has compression right? I suppose the quality difference between the 2 is minimal right? That's what i've read anyway. This isn't a professional project, so i suppose mpeg will suffice. This is ultimately going to be a DVD so maybe staying with mpeg is better since DVD is mpeg. What do you think?
    You get no greater quality from decompressing MPeg2. Actually you may loose quality by fully decompressing and recoding from base video. Regardless, to get from HDV to standard deininition DVD you are reducing quality greatly.

What kind of editing do you plan?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, didn't realize HDV was mpeg2, so it's better to leave it as mpeg. The less conversion/compression the better to maintain quality. Just doing some basic editing. Chops, sub titles, simple transitions, no crazy effects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In native HDV project mode, Premiere CS3 will only decode GOPs that are affected by cuts or transitions. Downsizing to DVD 720x480 will degrade all GOPs. Best to retain an HDV copy for the future.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also want to capture to AVI. Looks like WinDV might be good. You should understand that the AVI file is just a container and in this case it is containing MPEG. Also note that the timecode from the tape can only be stored in the AVI file. I'm still researching, but it appears the tape timecode can not be stored in MPEG files. Suprisingly, Premiere discards the tape timecode (I'm using Premiere Pro V2). The timecode is usefull if you ever need to know the date/time of the scenes or split the scenes into clips based on camera start/stop to aid in editing. Another great tool for DV timecode usage is DVDate.
    Quote Quote