VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just started using Virtual Dub to edit commercials from home recordings from a DVD recorder and have a couple of questions...

1- is there a way to make a target size like you can in Auto Gk (i encode using xvid would want to make the target size 350 mb)

2- So far the few AVI files I've encoded end up having a PCM audio track. Is it possible to encode to MP3 128 kbps ?

3- There seem to be vertical lines visible during some motion scenes. I tried using the filter but it is not accessible. Anything I can do to fix that ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1 Not similiar to autogk. You specify the video bitrate, under Video->Compression and choose the codec and click on settings, to get the target size you want. Use a bitrate calculator to calculate the bitrate you should use to get the output size, see our tools list for bitrate calculators and I think xvid has once included in the xvid settings.

2 Select Audio->Full Processing and choose mp3 under Audio->Compressions. If you can't see any mp3 codec install lame mp3.

3 It sounds interlace, have you tried add a deinterlace filter? There are some included in virtualdub or get more info about deinterlaceing from www.100fps.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yes. You have to set a video codec. Video -> Compression. If this is not available to you, change to Full Processing Mode under the Video menu.

2. Like video, you have to set a codec to compress your audio. You do this under the Audio menu - the compression option. You may have to install LAME MP3 ACM version first in order to compress at higher than 56 kbps.

3. Filters are only available when the video is in Full Processing Mode. Vertical lines during motion sounds odd. Horizontal lines would be interlacing.

If you have the space, it might be simpler, and produce higher quality results, to output to a lossless codec such as Lagarith or Huffyuv, then uas AutoGK to encode the results.

An even better solution is the one I use - edit with a dedicated mpeg editor (I use Womble, but Videoredo is good, and there are free alternatives as well), then use AutoGK to convert to Xvid.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops, vertical lines doesn't sound like interlacing at all....don't you mean horizontal? If not maybe post a screenshot how it looks like.
    Quote Quote