VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have 4 VOB files, 3 of them less than 1G and one of 1.7G. Here are my questions:

1. How can I split the big one into two VOBs without losing quality (no re-encoding or demuxing audio/video sepparately). I tried VOBedit but not too good.
    I remember I once used the DOS command to copy two VOB files into one and the result was wonderful (copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB + VTS_01_2.VOB outputFile.vob); however it seems there is no such command for splitting files.

4. I will use IfoEdit to create the IFO files, but how can I specify chapters? Are any default chapters already in each VOB?
    If I create a CellTimes.txt file I have to specify the frame number for each beginnig of chapter, but how can I know the frame number (the player displays only the current time)? Do I have to specify from which of the VOB files is the frame from? For example, how do I know the frame number at time 12min18sec from the third VOB file (VTS_01_3.VOB)?

How can I delete any chapter bookmarks that may exist from before?
    How can I make sure the "Next" and "FastForward" commands of the DVD Player will work properly?

3. Two of the above VOB files are from a PAL DVD and two are from a NTSC DVD, so frame rates are different. Will it be any problem after re-authoring, when playing the new DVD?

4. Finally, I'm thinking of creating an ISO image and burn it with DVD Decrypter or Nero. Now, what are the best choices of tools for creating the ISO image file (don't care much about speed, prefer best quality).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Where did the oversized VOB come from ?

4. (er . .2 ?) You are really going about this the hardest way possible

3. Technically, it won't be a DVD. You cannot combine PAL and NTSC material on the same disc with out converting one format to the other. Most authoring tools won't author it, and if they do, many players (mostly NTSC players) will not play it correctly, if at all.

4. (this one is 4) You don't need an ISO to get a good burn. However if you feel happier with an ISO, use Imgburn in Build mode to create one, then use Imgburn in Write mote to burn it (or just choose the video_TS folder in Build mode and burn directly).

You would find the process to be simpler and the outcome more reliable if you use VOB2MPG to extract the mpeg files, then used GUIforDVDAuthor to author a disc for burning. You can't just grab VOBs willy-nilly and hope to make a DVD out of them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I need to split the big VOB file because any VOB file has to be under 1Gb.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Got it from a buddy
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK, I'll extract the mpg and convert PAL files to NTSC so that all are NTSC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correctly authoring a disc would ensure the VOBs are of correct size. Just cutting it in half will give unpredictable results.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the big VOB through VOBBlanker, it will output the correct size, you can also use it to do simple cutting

I also use it a lot for removing 'useless' rubbish from DVDs like copyright screens, trailers, and for editing epiosde DVDs that are straight from master tape releases, like very old serie sfrom the BBC where you have the countdown before the episode starts, DVDRebuilder is very good at this

VOBBlanker is also totally free with no restrictions, it looks confusing to start with but is very powerful at what it does
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks. I'll try VOBBlanker and DVD Rebuilder... hope the quality remains the same.
    Quote Quote