VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Canopus Procoder 2 for some time now to create SVCDs. I have always been very impressed with the quality and have never noticed any issues up to now. Created some content with subtitles the other day and noticed for the first time that the right and left edges of the frame are clipped when viewed on a standard TV. Phrases that span the width of the screen are always missing the first and the last letters. Everything is rendered correctly when viewed on the computer, but I have tried the SVCD in 3 different DVD players all with the same result.

Is there a way to correct this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the oldest complaint in the book, and has been covered a thousand times here. What you have is a combination of overscan (look it up in the glossary) and stupidity. Overscan you have to live with. Stupidity can be fixed, but apparently the fan-subbers don't want to.

Use FitCD to create an avisynth script that will add borders and push the image in to make the subs fit inside the overscan area. Make sure you have avisynth installed, and then encode from the avs file instead of your source avi.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the quick reply. Overscan would apparently be the problem. Fortunately the sources are matroska and the subs are not hardcoded so I think I will just play around with the size of the subs as I am trying to avoid adding borders to the frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are fortunate that this is the case. Most of the time this problem is raised it is with hardcoded subs, so there is only one way out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    czerro - Is there a really good reason why you are still creating SVCDs? Perhaps there is, but I have noticed that a surprisingly large number of Americans think that DVD burners cost $200 or more and that blank DVD discs are more than $2 each, which is why some people still work with formats like VCD and SVCD in America. The truth is that good burners can be as cheap as $30 and blank DVDs are often 50 cents a disc or even less, so unless you have a really good reason for doing SVCD, cost is not a reason in the USA for not using DVD anymore.

Assuming you do have a good reason for making SVCDs, you might try making a border around your encodes to force the image inside an area that won't be overscanned. I'm too lazy to look it up as it's YOUR problem and question, not mine, but I believe that some of the guides here talk about how to create borders during encoding to deal with this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SVCD or DVD - the problem is the same. All TV formats will have overscan "problem" if overscan isn't taken into account.

/Mats
    Quote Quote