VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I think my neighbors are stealing my Wireless internet, cuz whenever I have it on my internet slows down a LOT sometimes. Something like a password protection thing. I have a D-Link DI-514 router and I'm on DSL.

Thanks
    Weltall900@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Xenogear900. Regardless of whether your perceived speed issues are due to party crashers, you want encryption on. To this end, RTFM to see how to get into your router settings and check whether encryption is already turned on by default, and how to enable it if it isn't

Also, RTFM again re: checking the number of connections the router's handling. You want to be able to pop right in when you feel a slowdown and check for hitchhikers.

I say RTFM because you want to familiarize yourself with it, not just settle for quick answers. A wireless router is potentially a source of legal trouble for you depending what people download through it.

You should also be aware that WEP wireless encryption is crackable without a whole lot of time and effort (as in, your key can be had within seconds to minutes regardless of length). WPA encryption is harder, but only harder. This is why, even if you turn on encryption, you should still know how to check for hijackers.

Better yet, lose the wireles router, unless you really need it for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A couple of things:

If you suspect someone is using your wireless, you can check with your DSL modem (assuming it is configured to hand out IP addresses - i.e., a DHCP server) - see your modem's manual.

Sometimes you cannot get encryption to work (I tried for hours and hours to get my network to work with all my computers - some wouldn't accept WEP and some wouldn't work with WPA - the two forms of security). If that happens to you then you may be able to block computers that don't match a list of MAC addresses that you configure. (The MAC address is unique to each network adapter so you just put in the ones for your computer(s). Hopefully, though, you won't have to resort to that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xenogear900
    I think my neighbors are stealing my Wireless internet, cuz whenever I have it on my internet slows down a LOT sometimes. Something like a password protection thing. I have a D-Link DI-514 router and I'm on DSL.

Thanks
    Weltall900@yahoo.com
    Three key components for preventing wireless high-jack:
    (1) encryption (WPA is far better than WEP), only old PCs with Windows 98 cannot handle WPA,
    (2) not broadcasting your network,
    (3) restrict network to a list of MAC numbers specific for your own PCs in the network.

I use a Linksys system and not familiar with D-Link systems but these security features should be available to D-Link as well. Your manual would have all the instructions on how to turn on these options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    A couple of things:

If you suspect someone is using your wireless, you can check with your DSL modem (assuming it is configured to hand out IP addresses - i.e., a DHCP server) - see your modem's manual.

Sometimes you cannot get encryption to work (I tried for hours and hours to get my network to work with all my computers - some wouldn't accept WEP and some wouldn't work with WPA - the two forms of security). If that happens to you then you may be able to block computers that don't match a list of MAC addresses that you configure. (The MAC address is unique to each network adapter so you just put in the ones for your computer(s). Hopefully, though, you won't have to resort to that.
    Been a while but I have to interject.... If their using it and they don't compromise you (security wise....!!!) in any way so be it... I'd go talk to them and work out something before cuttin'm off.

Any form of encryption will slow things down....

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If someone doesn't know how to set up simplest possible WEP, you've got to think about larger picture in here - i.e. most likely he is using some flaky unsecured OS with default settings and default browser too (I mean XP as administrator or user with admin rights and IE).
    Out of few cases of people I helped complaining that 'their neighbours' were stealing their bandwidth (and thats why their speeds sucked), it was always either malware on their completely unsecured computers (user as admin & IE as default) or their wireless setup was idiotic (i.e. router deep in the corner of basement, and with directional antenna pointing way out of the floors above...) and other stupid things stemming from complete lack of basic knowledge like that.
    I repeat: not even once have I witnessed wifi poachers.
    Almost always the problem is the person behind the keyboard...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DereX888
    I witnessed one - me!

Purely by accident. I didn't know my WAN was unreachable and I noticed that my download speeds were suddenly much faster - too fast in fact for the ISDN connection I had. I looked at my ip address and it was on a different subnet. A ping and a tracert later, I saw that I was actually on my neighbors' WAN and that they had DSL with Embarq (our local telco).

It turns out we were both using the same default SSID ("linksys") and because mine was down, my laptop automatically connected to my neighbors'. Since then, I've changed things on my WAN (inc. the SSID) though I notice my neighbors haven't changed theirs yet.

But some good came of all this - I had always been told DSL was out of reach (I live on an old farm - my neighbors' house is about 300 feet away across a field). I inquired and it turns out it had been available for a few months. That explained the big box Embarq installed just up the road - a DSLAM. I'm 200ft from it

Unfortunately, the DSL performance is erratic and sometimes dies completely - confirmed by connecting the modem directly to the NID. My local ISP owner (he resells the DSL service) has been trying to get Embarq to do something but so far they just send techs out to test the line. But we are convinced it is the cable from the house to the street (about 100 ft) - especially since about 3 years ago there was a lightning strike that fried the end of the cable. At the time, the tech simply cut back the charred cable to expose clean wire. There are still sooty deposits. So now I have to wait for it to go dead again and, while it is dead, call a local Embarq number so they can come out and test things - again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just discovered the link I gave above only works if you have the DLink location cookie. It is supposed to link to the specific question for your router that explains how to set up WPA security. I found that if you connect to the DLink site and select USA then go back and click the link it should take you right there.

You can download the User Guide for the DI-514 here:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di514_revB/Manual/DI-514_manual_07062005.zip
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I set up a wireless Linksys router for my brother a while back. His new laptop showed five close connections, two of which were open. I didn't try any of them, though. I couldn't get his router to use encryption, either WEP or WPA. I read all the manuals and used the included disc. So I gave up and just used the MAC address of the laptop to restrict use and I also turned off the broadcast feature. Not great security, but I was in a hurry and it was still better than nothing.

My brother had problems with his connection a week later and the ISP rep reset the router with no encryption, and open to anyone.

Security needed may depend on where you are at. If you see no other wireless routers when you check with your computer, the method I used is probably good enough. At least it's an improvement over no protection. I suspect if you see a lot of connections, the odds may be good that someone in your area may get into your system. Then you definitely need encryption, and maybe add MAC restrictions and turn off your broadcast.

Personally, I use a wired Cat 6 network with a Gigabit LAN. I need extra speed for file transfers on the LAN, not for the internet.

Thanks for the mention of DSLAM, JohnnyMalaria. I wondered how DSL was now available in my area. It used to be limited to 18,000ft from the central switch, which was about one mile less than where I am located. I'm using cable now, but DSL is about 1/4 the price, and $18 of my phone bill is paid for by my employer.

DSLAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSLAM
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xenogear900
    I think my neighbors are stealing my Wireless internet, cuz whenever I have it on my internet slows down a LOT sometimes. Something like a password protection thing. I have a D-Link DI-514 router and I'm on DSL.

Thanks
    Weltall900@yahoo.com
    I have a D-Link DI 624. You should do this:

1. Disable SSID broadcasting
    2. Enable MAC filtering
    3. Enable WPA encryption

These are all things that you can set via the HTTP user interface of the router. Just enter the router's IP into your browser.

You can verify if your neighbors are using your router by checking the current IP adresses your routers (DHCP) has given to connected clients. If there is not only the IP used by your computer there are other people using your WLAN.

Another solution would be to download nUbuntu and boot it. Than use airodump in monitoring mode. Airodump shows you all available wireless networks, all clients around you and tells you which client is connected to which network and alot more. You can also combine airodump with aircrack to find out the WEP keys of other wireless networks. If you would like to initiate a payback. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The more frequent reason I have seen for lousy wifi performance is default channel selection by an entire neighborhood. Run on channel 6 in many neighborhoods and you will run like crap.

Folks who don't encrypt, don't change the ssid also run on channel 6. All vendors I am aware of default to channel 6.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not only turn on WEP but set up MAC filtering. and maybe only have the router only give out a certain amt of IPs, just to assign to your computers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    I witnessed one - me!

Purely by accident. I didn't know my WAN was unreachable and I noticed that my download speeds were suddenly much faster - too fast in fact for the ISDN connection I had. I looked at my ip address and it was on a different subnet. A ping and a tracert later, I saw that I was actually on my neighbors' WAN and that they had DSL with Embarq (our local telco).
    doh, Im a 'poacher' too - whenever Im in downtown I am shamelessly using any and all open connections I need.
    But thats not the point here... even you have 'witnessed' only 1 poacher (yourself) in how long time?
    'General audience' have no freaking clue how to secure their own computers and home networks, hence they have even less clue on how to 'poach' others' wifis. Thats the point.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To protect your wireless connection u should use the encrypted tunnel. For example the VPN service strongvpn.com/
    will protect your connection against illegal parasitism ))). I use wireless network, and the VPN service help me to protect my computer against young neighbor hacker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can see my neighbors, but the signals are so weak, they often can't even connect.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote