VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the support page at Philips for the 5960, downloading their firmware upgrade will "Fix intermittent video "jerky" " - which is the problem I am having with my newly burned DivX files.

Unfortuantely, the firmware "upgrade" is to version 37.06.42.29, and my current firmware version is more recent than that (37.06.42.32), so it would be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Here's a more detailed history of what's going on:

I burned some avi files to a DVD-R, and put it in the player. The avis jitter - as if a frame or two is missing every five seconds. At first I thought it might just be these specific avi, so I tried entirely different avis - same problem.

I tested a disk of avi files I had burned last year. Played absolutely smoothly. Tested another from a while ago, again, played perfectly.

I thought about what might have changed. One thing might have been the type of DVD-R I used -- the current ones are Ritek Ridata 8X blank matte; the old ones are Ritek Ridata 8x branded matte (with the big arrow imprinted on the top of the disc). I found an old branded matte disk and burned the same new avi files I tried before - same jittery result.

My next thought was that maybe I had burned all the older stuff with Toast, and was burning the newer stuff with the built-in direct burner in OS X. Went back to Toast. Still jittery.

All of the .avi files play just fine on my computer.

I've tried everything I can think of. Any help would be of use.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use the attached firmware if you have a USA player, and you want packed bitstream support, it is a hacked version of the newest firmware that adds packed bitstream support, you can flash this firmware, or simply remove the packed bithstream with a program called "MPEG4Modifer"

philips_dvp5960_37_fw_37.06.42.29_with_pb_support. zip

Search Comp PM
    You may want to check the files, working and non-working ,using a program such as Gspot. There are likely differences between the files. There are some "features" that many Divx players have issues with, such as, QPEL, GMC, packed bitstream, etc. The real solution is to find what works in your player and ensure all of your files are compliant with your player, not try to make the player support all files. All standalone players have limitations and you won't find one that plays everything without moving to a HTPC, modded xbox, or other similar solution.

Hacked firmware like BIOHazard87 posted above can be helpful but it won't solve all of your file issues. There are just too many ways to encode video and place it in an avi container.
    Google is your Friend

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I play XVID movies I am getting a stutter every few seconds in the video. DIVX movies and DVDs play fine.
    The latest Firmware for this model says that it fixes a stutter problem, but I m not sure if this is the problem they are refering to. And I did upgrade the firmware but it is still doing the same thing.
    Anyone else with this model having the same issue ?
    And if so did you manage to work around it or...
    Thanks

Search Comp PM
    As I posted above, you need to take the time to check your files and/or make them compatible with your player. You will likely find your files have packed bitstream or possibly too high of a bit rate which is causing the player to choke.
    Google is your Friend

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The XVIDs I am trying to play do not have packed bitstream.
    How do I check to see how high the bitrate is and how would I go about fixing it if it was ?

Search Comp PM
    Compare a working file to a non working file. You can also post screen shots here for us to view.
    Google is your Friend

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Compare a working file to a non working file. You can also post screen shots here for us to view.
    Dont have any of the info in front of me atm...

ALL Xvids stutter
    ALL DVDs play fine
    ALL DIVX play fine

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't use MPEG4Modifier or GSpot, since I'm on a Mac. So I'm still out of luck.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tzikeh
    I can't use MPEG4Modifier or GSpot, since I'm on a Mac. So I'm still out of luck.
    Basically your only option then would be to reencode the files.
    Google is your Friend

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nvrsbr
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Dont have any of the info in front of me atm...

ALL Xvids stutter
    ALL DVDs play fine
    ALL DIVX play fine
    Divx/xvid files all suffer from the same issues on standalone players. So your comments above concerning ALL files is likely invalid. If anything, it is only all of the files that you have tried.

Here are the known issues (borrowed from jman98)

1) GMC (Global Motion Compensation). Rarely supported and if you happen to have a player that supposedly supports it, NONE have been yet found that can correctly play GMC with 3 warp points, despite various claims to support it. GMC with 1 warp point usually works, IF the player supports GMC.
    2) QPel (Quarter Pixel)
    3) Packed bit stream (You can unpack the bit stream without re-encoding with MPEG4Modifier)
    4) Resolutions greater than 720x576
    5) Video bit rates higher than 2000 Kbps. If your audio is anything except MP3, you may have to go even lower with the video bit rate to not have playback issues, even as low as 1400 or less.

Problems 1, 2, 4 and 5 can only be fixed by re-encoding to eliminate them.
    Google is your Friend

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried rencoding the XVID format into a DVD and into a DIVX codec but the stuttering still occurs even after the rencode.

And I have tried atleast 8 different XVID files and they all stuttered.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so now I am having an issue with a DIVX file...

Here are some screenshots from G-Spot for you to look at.

The Last Mimzy DIVX (Works fine).

The Simpsons Move DIVX (Intermttent Stuttering).

Super Bad XVID (Intermittent Stuttering).

Let me know if yuo see anything that stands out.
    Thanks

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator mats.hogberg

Search Comp PM
    One thing stands out all too clear. You're talking about illegal downloads of pirated copyrighted material.
    Buy them on DVD. See them at theatres.

Read the rules again (if you at all bothered to read them).

/Mats