VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

Apologies if I've missed a post elsewhere that may answer my question. I am a complete newbie to all this, but thought I would try to get up to speed as I have recently acquired one of the new ipod nanos that will play video. I have tried the following way of ripping from DVD and encoding for ipod:

1) Ripped single VOB from the DVD using MacTheRipper.
    2) Encoded for ipod using ffmpegx (tried the ipod h.264 640w preset, which I couldn't get to work, so used the ipod m-peg 4 480w preset instead).

The quality is good other than the fact that the audio starts to move out of sync from around an hour in to the film (a bit over half way in). Can anybody suggest a way I can overcome this? I've only used presets so far, so I guess the solution may involve me fiddling with some settings? I'd be grateful if any responses could be given in laymen's terms as I really am completely unfamiliar with any of this!

Many thanks,
    Becky
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a video ipod, so I may be off base here (but nobody's chimed in yet, so I figured I'd give it a shot). That said, do you see an option to "decode with QT" somewhere? If so, try selecting it. Or if it's already selected, try the other option. In general, QT tends to be somewhat better at maintaining sync (but it isn't perfect by any means).

Also, if your bitrate is too high, that can sometimes cause oddball sync problems. If pausing, then resuming play restores sync for a while, then this can be a sign that excessive bitrate is your problem.
    Quote Quote