VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I attended a conference the other day and the lecturer stated that using a Sharpie permanent marking pen would reduce the life expectancy of the media, he stated that if you used the sharpie the chemicals in it, will leech thru from the label side damaging the media. he stated that the life expectancy would be reduced to 3 or 4 years.
    Does anybody have any info regarding the validity of this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is not Latest Video News. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i wasn't sure as to which on to put it in
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I remember somebody talking about this in a thread from a long time ago. The person discussing it stated the same thing. I honestly don't know if there is any truth to it though. I personally have been using sharpies for my disc for a long time now and have many discs 6 to 8 years old labled with sharpies that play just fine.

I'd be interested to know if sharpies "could" damage the discs though.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think things are quite that cut & dry. Over the hundreds upon hundreds of discs I've burned over the last ~7 years, I can only think of *1* that looked like "Sharpie rot" (m aybe). And I'd blame it more on the quality of the media, and the thickness/opacity/whatever of the reflective layer...Over time it kind of burned into that top layer to where you could see more light I guess (in the shape of the writing) when viewed from the burn side.. But I can't really say the Sharpie killed that disc, that particular one was scratched to h*ll and maybe even had a crack in it. If for some reason I still have the disc & find it, I'll see about taking a pic to show what I mean.

Bottom line, I think there *may* be a semblance of truth int he statements, but not the doom & gloom they make it to be. I am far more worried of sticky labels that people *still* use (personally stopped using them ~4+ years ago), and am certain they will cause a far larger amount of playback and longevity issues that way.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The following might be of interest:
    http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/FAQ/default.html
    You'll have to look but towards the bottom is a question specifically about using Sharpies to write on CDs. Basically they say that they haven't performed any long term tests, but they have no reason to think that the ink will cause any damage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by potterp
    I attended a conference the other day and the lecturer stated that using a Sharpie permanent marking pen would reduce the life expectancy of the media
    Extreme bullshit if you ask me. I've been using Sharpies on my media since my CD "Recorder" days without a single problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Extreme bullshit if you ask me.
    To the point. Gotta love that!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I should have made that mini-movie I planned on making years ago....the one of me scrolling through my DVD backup collection....the DVDR's that ALL have Sharpie writing on them....but it would take too damn long.
    Maybe I'll just gather up all of my Sharpies and take a picture of them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Know one knows, one way or the other. Same holds true for DVD's that have the white label on them, directly from the factory. Those are made from some kind of spray paint or lacquer coating. No one knows if those will eventually make the disc go bad either.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recieved this from the SHARPIE Co.
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding our SharpieŽ Markers and their use on CDs.
    Sanford has used Sharpie Markers on CDs for years and we have never experienced a problem.
    Generally we do not believe that Sharpie ink can affect CDs. However, please note that CDs come in different quality grades; provided you have a good quality CD, you should experience no problems.

We hope that this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
    Quote Quote