VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK I built a new computer two months ago. My Asus DRW-1814BLT is sometimes getting stuck in the middle of a rip or a burn. It sucks when it freezes during a burn because there goes a wasted disc, plus I have to hard reboot the computer. I took that drive out and put in a Lite-On LH-20A1L. It did the same thing. I used a different SATA cable just to be sure. So what I did at this point was put the Asus back in and updated the official firmware. It was way out of date. I just ripped a movie fine, now it's burning, 40% done. Last night it wouldn't even rip the movie so I just shutdown. During all the confusion I put my old Benq IDE drive in and it worked great, no problems. Oh, I also reformatted a few days ago during the confusion. So it can't be Windows or the SATA cable. Any ideas? Thanks for any help. (60% on the burn now).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What program are you using to burn with? Most all burning programs generate a log. If you check that log, it may have information that would tell you what caused the problem. At least Nero and ImgBurn both have them.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'm using AnyDVD/CloneDVD and then Nero to burn the ISO. I know it's not the programs cause I also tried DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (haven't used them in years but tried to see if it was program related). BTW, after I ripped and burned that movie I tried another, got stuck about 10% into the copy process. Had to force-shutdown and leave for work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ensure you have the latest BIOS updates and drivers for your MB.

Since it is apparently working with IDE drives and not SATA drives, it would appear to be a hardware issue and not software. Since you have the same problem with two different SATA drives, then it appears to be MB related and not drive related. Most likely a BIOS or driver issue.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know I have the latest BIOS. I'm going to check Asus's website to see if there are any SATA drivers that I should install. Thanks for that advice.

I have a question. My mobo is an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe. If you go to there download section and check out the drivers, it has "Make NVIDIA 32bit SATA RAID Driver for Windows 2000/XP/XP MCE/2003". What is this "makedisk"? Is that a program to make a custom SATA driver for your system or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know for sure. But sometimes (varies by MB) when installing your OS, one of the first steps is to load SATA or SCSI drivers to gain access to your HDD's so the installation program can see them.

Aside from that, SATA burners are new and there are some issues still being worked out. As with most new hardware, software/drivers usually solve most of the prorblems for most people, but there are usually issues that can't be fixed with certain hardware combinations.

Good luck.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote