VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I would like to connect my pc (Geforce 8800GTS xXx edition, 2x DVI-I "Dual Link" output) to my Epson TW700 projector(both HDCP).

I would like to connect it through HDMI becourse I allready have this one set up through my room (with a switch, full HD support).

So I tryed to connect the pc with a DVI-D to HDMI cable to the HDMI Switch to the Projector.
    When the pc is turned on the projector gives no incoming signal.

After that I tryed to connect the pc with a vga cable to the projector, and that worked (plug and play).
    So I connected the DVI-D to HDMI cable to the second DVI-Slot in my pc to the HDMI switch to the projector.
    Still on the Projectors HDMI-Channel no signal.

I Tryed Nvidia options and it did detect that 2 connections where made to the epson projector.

It did detect that it was a DVI connection, the possible resolutions etc.

So I tryed all sorts of options, Primair Screen switching, Resolution changing, clone screen etc.
    But no signal on the projector's HDMI channel.

I Tried to change the DVI-HDMI cable in videocard-slot-1 and vga cable in slot 2.
    Also connection it directly without the HDMI-Switch to the Projector.
    Updating the Video Card Drivers etc.

Still no luck.

So I looked it up on the internet and found that there are different DVI connections.
    On this site: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_info.html
    My next try will buy a DVI-I Dual Link to HDMI adapter.
    Maybe the problem is that I was using a DVI-D to HDMI Cable.

I don't know what to do else.

Please help me with this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should be enough with DVI-D because you don't need any analog signal.

Have you tested the hdmi-input on the projector with some other device?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't those DVI-HDMI cables one-way? I have one connected my PS3 to my 1080p LCD but the source is HDMI and the connection to the TV is DVI (was an old workaround for an HDCP issue between my TV and the PS3).

If you can try another HDMI source like Baldrick suggested. If the projector has DVI inputs try those instead. The video quality is going to be identical between HDMI and DVI, especially for a projector. The only issue with this is if your projector is also an audio receiver since content-protected audio (such as SACD) will only work over HDMI.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have used such a cable both ways, Xbox HDMI to DVI TV, and Geforce 6800 DVI (not sure on the model) to TV HDMI. Same Cable. Have not played any protected content. Both worked well.

The Gforce DVI to TV-DVI did not give any picture at all.

DVI -TV is an older CRT with no HDMI, Newer HDMI-TV is a Funai (Sylvania) widescreen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    It should be enough with DVI-D because you don't need any analog signal.

Have you tested the hdmi-input on the projector with some other device?
    Thanks for the quick reply 8)

I have a 15m HDMI cable from the HDMI-Switch-Box to the projector.
    2 of the 3 slots are allready connected, 1 to the dvd player and 1 to the PS3 and they both work fine.

I think if the DVI-D-HDMI cable is one-way than the input will be DVI to HDMI (the product I got that cable with only has a DVI exit, no HDMI exit).
    So that shouldn't be the problem.

I hope you know any other options.

I really want to play HD-Video from my pc to the big screen
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any help please
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would test with another dvi - hdmi cable and if that wont work it's maybe something with the graphic card.

Are you using dvi -> dvi to your monitor? or dvi->vga?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried 2 computer monitor's they used a dvi-vga adapter but worked fine (no problem detecting, cloning/dual screen etc.).
    I'am going to buy a dvi-hdmi converter somewhere if I can find one, I hope this will work.
    But what ever is cousing the problem would probably not be in the software?(I updated the drivers but no luck).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I'm still having this problem.
    I can't get my pc to play on my projector.
    I think the projector get's no signal becourse of the pc not sending any EDID information to the projector.

I found some new options that might help.

First I'll try this tool called Powerstrip, I don't know where it is for but I read some things about it that it can change all sorts of settings in resolution etc.
    I'll report the results.

Second option: DVI Detective http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378, That is supposed to force the edid information so that must work.
    I only don't know if it will still work becourse I need to connect the HTPC from dvi-hdmi.

Another option is to buy a whole new mainboard that is compatible with HDMI.
    But I don't know much about these things.
    Will it still use my Geforce8800GTS as main graphics processor?

Or maybe last option, buy a laptop with hdmi output.

please help me with this issue
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ToYo
    So I tryed all sorts of options, Primair Screen switching, Resolution changing, clone screen etc.
    But no signal on the projector's HDMI channel.
    Did you set the refresh rate too? 1280x720 @ 60Hz. Maybe 50Hz in PAL countries.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I think so, but I'll change it again.
    The thing I hate is that the pc has to reboot every time, wich takes a lot of time
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ToYo
    Yes I think so, but I'll change it again.
    The thing I hate is that the pc has to reboot every time, wich takes a lot of time
    nVidia drivers have a "change settings without reboot" option. With the drivers I have installed, when you set a new resolution it asks you if you want to reboot or just change the resolution when you press Apply.

You can also get to the setting via Display Properties -> Advanced -> General -> Restart the computer before applying the new display settings.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, but I allready have that option selected.
    Maybe I wasn't specific enough, but I think my pc alway's reboots when I select: clone, dual ect. screen modes.
    But you are telling that even without rebooting these modes have to work.

I think the problem is becourse the EDID information not being transported to the projector.
    I found that there is an option called: Hide Resolutions that this monitor can't display.
    You can find it at: Display Properties -> Advanced -> Monitor -> check box.
    When I change this option I can chose more resolution options: but this still doesn't make any difference in the signal. I still get"No Signal" on the projector.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ToYo
    Thanks for the reply, but I allready have that option selected.
    Maybe I wasn't specific enough, but I think my pc alway's reboots when I select: clone, dual ect. screen modes.
    Mine always asks and I answer "no" so the computer never reboots when I change video options.

Originally Posted by ToYo
    But you are telling that even without rebooting these modes have to work.
    Have to work? No, but they should work.

I think the problem is becourse the EDID information not being transported to the projector.
    EDID is sent from the display to the graphics card. It's how displays tell the computer what resolutions they support. In the absense of EDID information you have to manually select the correct resolution and refresh rate.

I found that there is an option called: Hide Resolutions that this monitor can't display.
    You can find it at: Display Properties -> Advanced -> Monitor -> check box.
    When I change this option I can chose more resolution options: but this still doesn't make any difference in the signal. I still get"No Signal" on the projector.
    If you've tried all the obvious resolutions and refresh rates maybe the problem is in the cable? My HDTV gives an error message indicating an unsupported resolution and refresh rate when the signal isn't acceptable. If no signal is present it gives a different error message indicating there is no signal. Maybe yours is different though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I don't think it has to do with the cable.
    I tried 2 different computers, 2 different cables, No Siganl.

I think I have to go for the Second option: that DVI Detective from geffen.
    If the problem realy is about the edid.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone have any experience with this dvi-detective from Gefen?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ToYo:
    I am in exactly same situation. I have Optoma Hd65 projector which I'm trying to connect to my PC with DVI-HDMI cable, but it can't get a signal. I've also tried every possibility I can imagine (different cables, drivers, etc.).

If you have found a solution to your problem, please let me know! Have you considered a malfunctioning graphics card (the HDMI feature)? I think that's my next step in solving this in case anyone hasn't got any other ideas...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So did the HDMI-Graphics card work for you Sarme?

I'm now using a VGA cable to the projector, wich works, quite good quality, unfortunatly I can't compare it to HDMI.
    I'm now playing HD-Video Files 720p 1080P .wmv x264 files on a screen resolution of 1280X1024 60hz.
    Any other higher resolution and the screen will show ghosting/tripping, even at 1280x720.
    Even though the Epson TW700 supports 1080i and the SVGA cable supports 1600x1200.
    Even now with the 1280x1024 60hz resolution there is a judder in the lower end of the screen, probably becourse of the 60hz refresh rate.
    But if I change it higher or lower it gets more worse.
    Maybe I'm not doing it right.
    The Nvidia settings are clone pc monitor to projector screen.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My graphic card was working fine. We tried it with Sharp's HDTV with HDMI input. I switched the HDMI cord to my Optoma projector and it got signal BUT I noticed my computer was thinking it was still connected to Sharp. Then I clicked "Detect monitors" on my Catalyst Control Center and monitor changed to "Unknown" and after reboot projector did not find signal.
    My conclusion is that Optoma has problems with EDID. Either Optoma is not sending it or EDID is some how faulty.

Well, I have now send email to retailer and Optoma. I have not got any answers though, yet.

What I read from other forums, it may be possible to flash monitor's or projector's EDID. You just need to know exact parameters of your device (resolution, RGB ranges, Hz, etc...).

I'll post here when I get more information.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took contact with Optoma's European support. Projector will be shipped to them for an assesment and they will send me a new projector.
    Reason:
    In my projector one of the pins (number 17) in the hdmi input was a bit shorter than others. After I told them this, they wanted me to return the projector.
    We will propably never know was this the actual reason for malfunctioning.
    Quote Quote