VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What formate can your dvd player play?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What formate can your dvd player play?

Please respond only from the below list, dont make things complicated and i DON'T care about anything else but formate (NO MODEL NUMBERS or DVD PLAYER REVIEWS)

• HD-DVD Player
      Blue-Ray DVD Player
      Upconversion DVD Player
      DVD Player

I am just curious what you guys have. AGAIN, please don't add other comments like "this samsung player is the best...ect"

K.I.S.S[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As of now only 5 people have dvd players?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I really enjoy my upconversion player with my 1080p TV. I will consider getting a high def player when the industry settles on a single format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW: Although my dvd player has upconversion, I didn't buy it because it offers upconversion. I bought it because it has very highly rated dvd playback quality (and it supports Divx).

There are major quality differences, just between standard DVD players. You can go to a site such as here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

And look through their reviews/testing/comparison of many different units and get an idea of what's good and what is bad. For the most part, many people don't seem to care too much about quality (at least they don't want to pay for it), but more about features and disc/file type support. You can see quality differences between a good dvd player and a cheap upconverting player. So buy an upconverting player is not always the best idea. Most HD TV's (depends on screen type...LCD for instance) perform their own conversion (up/down) to match the input to their native resolution. In which case before buying an upconverting player, you need to know the quality of the TV's converters and then get a player that has better conversion.

Not too mention that most people seem to associate upconversion with HD. While it can make DVD's look better, and this varies widely, again based on the quality of the player and the TV. Most users won't see much, if any difference. On any decent HD TV, there is a big difference between DVD (upconverted or not) and HD.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both up convert dvd player and standard dvd player
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rich86
    I really enjoy my upconversion player with my 1080p TV. I will consider getting a high def player when the industry settles on a single format.
    exactly why i bought mine, to be honest i really dont see a dif between my regular dvd and my upconversion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think this poll needs to add has both upconverter and standard dvd player as one of the choices to vote on. I think most members here may have more than one type of dvd player. I haven't voted since I have both upconverter and standard dvd players.

I have a SONY and a CYBERHOME upconverter dvd players and numerous standard dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few upconverting players and a few standard players, but I voted "Upconversion DVD Player" since that would be my better player
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    I think this poll needs to add has both upconverter and standard dvd player as one of the choices to vote on.
    But what about the people who have a HD and a standard player. Or what about the Person who has he blueray AND HD player combo..... The problem with any poll is that it doesnt take into consideration of ALL of the possibilities.

For the future if you have more then one dvd player please contact me and we can draw up flow charts and risk-benefit analysis of how you should vote. Better yet we could just ask my 5 year old.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If there's ever a poll on which thread has the most grammatical errors in it, this one would get my vote. Formate?
    Formate? Where did you go to school that you think "formate" is a word?

Originally Posted by clevername2000

For the future if you have more then one dvd player please contact me and we can draw up flow charts and risk-benefit analysis of how you should vote. Better yet we could just ask my 5 year old.
    This statement should be all the rest of you need to read to understand why you should just skip this "poll" and move on to something more interesting.

Moderators - Is every poster here allowed to just start some nonsensical poll over whatever they want? It would appear so. Perhaps you need to reconsider this policy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clevername2000
    But what about the people who have a HD and a standard player. Or what about the Person who has he blueray AND HD player combo..... The problem with any poll is that it doesnt take into consideration of ALL of the possibilities.

Geez, those pain meds I'm on must have really whacked me since I didn't notice it was a NEWBIE who started this poll. :P
    Quote Quote