VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a KWORLD X-Pert DVD Maker PCI Card VS-L883D PCI Interface video capture card. I use it mainly for watching TV on my PC. The software that it came with called just, "TVR" is kinda lackluster. I was wondering if there are any 3rd party software I can use with this card that would be better.

Barring that, are there any suggestions for an inexpensive card I could buy that comes with better software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will VirtualDub give me a window that I can watch TV in? That is all I really use it for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you want the software to do?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Basically just open a window to watch TV in, and occasionally schedule to record a TV show. The "TVR" software that came with my card was programmed by retarded monkeys. To set a time for recording you can only enter the time in seconds, so you better have a calculator handy if you want to schedule a recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are really interesting in using your PC to watch and record TV shows, I recommend buying a TV tuner card. Decent ones can be had online from $40 that including VCR like software. The card you are using cannot change channels, it's really made for capturing analog video to a digital file, such as for converting VHS tapes into DVDs. A good tuner card is just like having a TV/VCR/TIVO built right into your computer, most even come with a remote. Good Luck!

Edit:
    If you really want to use that card to record TV shows, VirtualVcr will do it nicely and it's free.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    If you are really interesting in using your PC to watch and record TV shows, I recommend buying a TV tuner card. Decent ones can be had online from $40 that including VCR like software. The card you are using cannot change channels, it's really made for capturing analog video to a digital file, such as for converting VHS tapes into DVDs. A good tuner card is just like having a TV/VCR/TIVO built right into your computer, most even come with a remote. Good Luck!

Edit:
    If you really want to use that card to record TV shows, VirtualVcr will do it nicely and it's free.
    Can you recommend a TV tuner card in that $40 price range?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will VirtualDub give me a window that I can watch TV in?
    Yes, it will but, but it has no scheduling support.

Now the good news:

Although your package was bundled with a lousy piece of software, Kworld actually has a pretty neat PVR called HyperMedia2 on their web site that will do the job: http://www.kworld.com.tw/support_download.aspx?id=25

Just click on: get the newest driver and get the newest AP

There are also 2 PDF manuals at the bottom of the page. one is instruction on how to install the drivers and
    the second is how to use the PVR application. (Yes, you can specify HH:MM:SS for duration of recording).

There is also an Answer PDF file that contains usefull information

You should probablly first uninstall/ remove your current drivers & TVR.

Hope this helps and didn't lead you too far astray.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, does your VS-L883D card has a tuner build in? are you currently watching TV with with it?
    If not than you obviously need a different card like the TheFamilyMan says.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check these out:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047+4025+1148410218...k=&srchInDesc=
    I don't know about these products so I can't recommend any of them, but do your homework and you'll find what works for you. Consider too that in 2009 analog TV broadcasts in the USA are scheduled to be discontinued. Also, two popular freeware TV apps worth checking out to see if they'll work with the card you get are Dscaler and GB-PVR. BTW, newegg is one of the best online retailers IMO. Again, Good Luck!
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

One thing I have to mention is that I have Dish Network, so I don't know how useful a tuner will be to me as I have to choose the channel with the Dish Box. I have the output from the Dish Box running to a VCR that then comes into the video capture card on the Computer.

I use this to capture my old VCR tapes that I can't get on DVD and to watch TV, I just change the channel using my Dish remote.

What happens is I am watching a show, or planning to watch a show and I find I cant be there to watch it so I use the capture card TVR software to record it so I can watch it later. I just have to make sure the Dish Box is on the correct channel.

The main problem I have is that with the Cheesy TVR software that came with the card is that it automatically switches the recording input from mic to line in when I start it, (So when I get on vent to play WoW I have to go in and manually switch it back to mic because the software does not switch it back when I close the TVR) and also as I mentioned before to record you have to enter in the time duration in seconds. :P

I will try some of the freeware people have mentioned here. Thanks!
    Quote Quote