VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn'f find anything posted about this problem, so here it is: on some of the DVDs I create with GUI for dvdauthor, the movie would start silent: no sound! If I hit Fast Forward, and immediately go back to Play, the audio starts playing normally. This happens only on my RCA player, but not on other players. On these DVDs, typically, this happens on chapter 1, at the beginning of the movie, and sometimes on another chapter. If it is chapter 3, for example, I would have no sound if I jump to chapter 3 from the menu, but the audio would keep playing if I just play the movie normally (or if I hit Fast Forward).

Not a major problem when you know the "workaround": hit fast forward, but a major frustration for anyone in the family who doesn't know the solution.

Typically, these DVDs are created from captured files from my RCA PVR, edited and cleaned up with Project X, and authored with GFD. It doesn't matter if I run PGCEdit, FixVTS. I suspect there might be something that can be set somewhere in GFD or after running GFD, because it is related to the chapters created by GFD, but I can't figure out what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many RCA DVD players have a feature called TV Guardian which is a foul language filter. It monitors the closed caption content of the video.

Maybe the filter is being triggered by a glitch in the file?

The file can be turned off in the DVD menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe I have this feature on my player. It's actually a PVR: RDS7000N (or DTH7000 in PAL version I believe).
    I suspect I changed some configuration settings somewhere in the chain, as I seem to observe this more often recently. I am looking if I see anything, but it's tricky.
    Quote Quote