VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, folks,

I wonder if you can help me out, Iīve just bought a new machine (Windows XP home edition) and suddenly, I canīt watch any of the videos I imported from the old machine (various Mpeg 2 and mpeg 4 formats).

Iīm running Windows Media Player version 11.0.5721.5230 (which is apparently the latest one), but learly there must be either a conflict or a codec I donīt have.
    I just noticed VLC player doesnīt work either, the screen just flashes, as if it were trying to read an alien format.
    And yet yesterday it was working just fine.

Could you help me out?
    Iīm starting to miss my old machine....

E.
    "They say that if you play the Windows CD backward you can hear satanic speech; well, thatīs nothing.
    When you play it forward, it installs windows."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How exactly did you "import" these videos? Can you move them to another PC somehow (DVD+/-RW, CD-RW, USB drive, etc.) and see if anything there can play them? You need to determine first if the problem is that you botched the copying/moving or if your new PC just can't play anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    A basic install of WXP has very limited codecs installed. AFAIK can't play mp4 etc.
    Install FFdshow and a few splitters (e.g. FLV if you use this) and the machine will play everything.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K
    A basic install of WXP has very limited codecs installed. AFAIK can't play mp4 etc.
    You are correct, but the original post had the troubling comment that VLC didn't work. VLC doesn't install any codecs - it comes built with everything it needs and it can play both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 files. In fact, VLC often plays MPEG-4 better under Windows than anything else. The fact that VLC isn't working is very troubling to me, so the original poster needs to determine first of all if his files are really OK and only if they are can he try to figure out why he can't play them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A: Update gpu drivers
    B: Unistall wmp11 , go back to 9
    C: Use gspot to determine if decoders are installed for playback .

Ms updates are also known to break things more than they fix .

Some have reported similar issues with updates , KB920342 , and KB914440 , even though they have nothing to do with video playback ... you should know ms well ... they fix one thing , and mess with another .
    Quote Quote