VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This has been discussed in the past, but with no definitive answer. A lot of label software comes with DVD Logos that the user can print on their DVD's. Like Epson Print CD, and Surething Label software. Is it legal for a home user to print these logos onto their recordable discs? What if I film and create a wedding video and sell the disc to the owner?

I have Sony DVD Architect that comes with a license to create DVD's. So it seems a little odd I must purchase a seperate license to use the logo on the printed disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    read the fair use entry in wikipedia. the first most important issue is whether the use is non-profit or for profit. you are using the logo is for profit. if you didn't think it would make you more profit you wouldn't put it on there. the copyright owner is therefore entitled to a portion of those profits because they put their efforts into creating it in the first place and should be compensated for increasing the value of your product. you paid for dvd architect(i'll assume) and are therefor allowed to use it - a different story.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. The DVD logo is not allowed on DVD-R (all flavors). Only on true DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So why do label software like Epson Print CD and SureThing include the logos, if consumers are not allowed to use them in home dvd-r's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can do just about anything if it never leaves your own home. the trouble starts when you think you can sell it and make a profit off of other peoples work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I looked again at the Epson Print CD logos. Instead of having the word "video" underneath the disc icon, it has it inside the icon. So technically the logo is a little different, and not the official logo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The logo where [Video] is inside the disc WAS the official one, but was superceded by the current one (where all the wording is below the disc) in c. 2002/3.
    Maybe they're just out of date, maybe they think that since it's unofficial it's OK.

I dunno, I tried to read the wording on the Logo Licensing page...
    one way you could read it would be to say that, "for all pressed DVDs that want to put a logo on them, you must use the official one, and pay for it's license"---saying basically nothing about DVD-recordables/rewriteables. I'd bet that when that was written, DVD-R/RW's were small potatoes, and printing on-disc was hard to do at all.

They do have official DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM logos, just not with VIDEO or AUDIO, etc. underneath. I'm sure those are usable for such media.

When in doubt, check with your company's lawyers...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. My company and my lawyer is myself.

Well the DVD-R logos say you can't use them unless you have bought a license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the DVD MULTI logo is fair game. Not sure.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I think the DVD MULTI logo is fair game. Not sure.
    You still have to shell out a lot of money, though. $3500 for the license. But you also have to get the appropriate format/logo license prior to getting the multi logo license. Once you have the license(s), that's not enough. You then have to be verified at a certified testing lab.

It seems excessive but it is all about ensuring manufacturers/content providers meet with the highest standards so that consumers don't end up with useless junk. The fees probably cover the costs of maintaining the verification programs, license enforcement etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Much Ado About Nothing" IMO.
    Just put the logo on. If someone asks you (once chance in a million on that one I'd say)....just tell them it came with the software.
    Quote Quote