VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a few home movies on VHS that I would like to convert to Mpeg format. What hardware do I need to do this? I was hoping for something inexpensive as I only have 3 VHS tapes but i would like to do it myself. It will likely go to DVD at some later point.

Does Happuage make something that would fit the bill?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need a capture device. Probably a Hauppauge card would serve you well if it has a composite input. That's the video output most VCRs use, along with a audio output. Some VCRs also have a S-video output, but that's the higher end VCRs.$ The Hauppauge card can also be used to capture video off TV channels, or act as a tuner to watch TV on your PC, so that's a bonus for other uses.

Or you could try a USB capture device if you want more flexibility or use with other computers or if you plan to do a bit more captures or you don't want to use a PCI card that you would need to open your computer to install. Though that's not difficult.

There are other options, but if you only have three tapes, I would at least look at Hauppauge. You could also just get somebody else or some company to capture your VHS tapes and save them to DVD.

Lots of options. If the tapes are 'special' and irreplaceable, I would go with a commercial company to back them up to DVD. JMO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD recorder . Rip the disc to your drive for further editing etc. The Hauppage is a good choice from the many reviews I have read but are you going to have any use for it after you capture 3 taoes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Lots of options. If the tapes are 'special' and irreplaceable, I would go with a commercial company to back them up to DVD. JMO.
    I find myself suggesting this more and more these days. Not just because I offer such services, but because most needs seem to be small projects or special projects.

The people who wanted to do lots of their own work have seemingly already gone that route. They're now running into VCR issues, restoration techniques, web publishing, etc. We're not getting a lot of new folks here, for VHS to DVD. Or if they exist, they're reading existing forum posts.

Or worse, just going to the store and buying whatever POS is on sale.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One other tip:

Should you happen to have a Digital Video Camera with passthrough - composite/S-video input and firewire output - you can connect the VCR to the camera and feed the signal via firewire to the computer.

VH
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf , good point. If you were to buy the typical VCR still available at a discount store, (A $39.95US unit), you may have a difficult time transferring a 20 year old VHS tape with any sort of quality, especially if the 'tracking', etc. settings are different than your new VCR. And 20 years old is not unusual for a VHS tape. Think 1987. I have VHS tapes from 1970.

If they are just 'run of the mill' TV video, do what you want. If you already have a decent VHS deck, your results may be better. But if the tapes are 'priceless', at least see a professional to see what they might charge.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz, you still using original U-matic tapes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VHS was invented in 1976.
    My oldest tape is a Panasonic, Japanese writing on box, from 1977 or 1978.
    It plays great... but only in my high-end JVC equipment.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I was off a few years. Try 1980 or so. Bad thing is I do remember U-matic tapes, the 8 track of commercial video tapes. We had them at our public broadcasting station for public service announcements. Black and white and all vacuum tube equipment. But I digress.

But to the subject; Old VHS tapes may be particularly hard to get a good capture from. Your newer VCR may not agree with the tape tracking, even if the tape is in good shape.
    Quote Quote