VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has any one been able to backup to DVD programming stored on an external USB hard drive that they have connected to their Dish Network DVR? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would have move individual shows to your pc and convert/burn to DVD from there....assuming of course the Dish DVR's allow transfer to a PC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. They Are encrypted and AFAIK they will only play on VIP622/722s that belong to the account they were recorded from. IOWs you can not as I understand it use them on somebody elses VIP622/722 to play back.

You can copy the files off via a linux box for example, you just can't play them.

Most likely if by backup you mean backup against the drive going bad then bit by bit complet drive clone may work, then again the encryption may also be tied to the drive S/N?
    Quote Quote  
  4. TBoneit, thanks for the information. So it seems the only way to backup the cooking shows my wife wants is to send them in low quality via RCA cables to my DVD recorder? Would you happen to know if anyone makes an input board for a computer that accepts HDMI or Component inputs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. A. Use S-Video not RCA composite to DVD recorder....
    B. I do not recall the brands, however there have been posts here and over on http://www.avsforum.com/ with reference to DVD recorders that have Component inputs for recording from. That will still yield a 720 by 480 resolution DVD of course.
    C. there are posts here about computer boards that take HDMI or Component inputs such as this one found with a search for black magic.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic315460.html

Good Luck & post back your results for others please.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Dish 622/722 output a very high quality image via Svideo connects, and DVD recording will look just fine.
    Quote Quote