VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been working for several months, and frequently referring to guides and this forum, attempting to work with various video formats. Recently I've experienced several files that when trying to play using VLC v08.6c are reporting "This AVI file is broken. ....." pop-up; when I ask that it repair it, it appears to do so but doesn't remember what it's done; at least it will play. On the other hand, if I tell it not to repair it, it also works just fine. I can play using WMP v11.0.6 however as I close that program it frequently report that "WMP has stopped working" (under Vista) and no solutions is ever provided.

I've attempted to repair these AVI's using DivFix (versions 1.10 and 1.13beta); VirtualDub; and DivXRepair. None ever report finding any problems, yet when I attempt to invoke again in VLC I get the same error. Using DivFix I've (1) checked for errors - none found, (2) stripped the index, and then (3) rebuilt the index.

I have a couple files that are in mkv format that I've wanted to convert to avi's. I followed Baldrick's guide "How to convert MKV to AVI using mencoder." I tried successfully using both examples he provided. The mkv plays fine in VLC, method one produced a file that doesn't play, method two produced a file that plays but began bringing up the "This AVI file is borken" box and it takes a very, very long time to jump ahead when viewing the video.

Can anybody suggest solutions. Even though I have "played" with video for years, compared with most folks on this site I would consider myself a newbie. Sometimes I seem to know enought to be dangerous, but not effective. I've exhausted things I know to try, despite all the good advice given here.

A NOTE: I really wish there weren't so many "standards." I'm sure there's very good reasons for having so many, but from a newbie point of view, it would be so nice to have everything in Xvid (as an example). And there are so many great and wonderful tools provided on this website, but it seems that with every guide I'm downloading and installing another group of tools. After a while I can't remember what I originall used "X" to accomplish. Is there a set of essential tools that most agree are important to have an every video software toolkit?

Thank you

--timmer
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does these problems occur in Vista only?
    Have the avi files worked before ? or are they new downloaded files?
    Could you identify the avi files that doesn't work well, use gspot to view the video and audio codec.

And newbies should stick to a standalone dvd player with standard dvds...or youtube...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What I have done is to put them in VirtualDub and do a 'Direct stream' copy. Sometimes that sorts out the problem. Or try 'Fast Recompress' if you have the codec available, though that is a re-encode.

VLC 'repair' won't fix the problem, just the playback while the program is running. VLC can also transcode video to other formats, but I don't know if the 'repair' would be passed on.

I find my most essential video tools are VirtualDub, or usually VD Mod, Gspot and VLC. I tend to use them most every day when working with video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found redwudz suggestion to work very well on files that wouldn't play in my DivX player. Just direct stream copying them into a new container did the trick.

Redwudz, with the new experimental version of Virtualdub 1.7.X test3 and all the plugins you can get for it, there's not much need for VirtualdubMod anymore. It will open MPEG-2, WMV, QT and FLV with the optional plugins and will open AC3 with the AC3 plugin. It will also handle VBR MP3 now and you can add MP3 to your clips instead of having to use wave files and compress. Not sure if you can add AC3. Edit: Yes you can.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS, to tell the truth, I haven't tried the very latest version of VD. I like VDM for the way it handles audio compared to VD. I use it more for that than using it for MPEG>AVI conversions. And I use VDM 1.6.0.0 most times (AudX version) But I should give VD a try again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate and thank you for your responses.

Baldrick, while I appreciate and see the wisdom in what you say, it is only by attacking things as a newbie that I can become an oldbie. I've worked with computers for over 35 years and have a PhD in IT -- it's simply that as of yet I'm not very good (or understand) working with video. I've been refering to VideoHelp for over five years and own several video software packages; but I've learned a couple things in using them; (1) what you pay for a package is not in any way indicative of how useful, comprehesive or easy the package is to use and (2) even the most comprehensive packages seem to not include "that little something" I frequently want to do. I have frequently found suggestions leading to specific little tools (usually freeware) from your site that have solved my specific problem(s). I have the utmost respect for those that write them and have frequently "shown" my appreciation.

Redwudz, I will try your suggestions. Unfortunately I have to leave town for a couple days, but as soon as I return and have time I will try every suggestion. Thank you.

The video files I have been working with are varied. Some have been conversions from a friends Sony camcorder. Some have been downloads. Since I "upgraded" (I most definitely say that tougne in check) to Vista on my primary system I have been doing all my work on that system. I do have another system running WinXP, so I will transfer a couple of the AVI's that result in errors to that system and see if the problem persists as I am running the same versions of VLC and WMP on that system.

--timmer
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, I moved three AVI files from my Vista to WinXP systems. The first (an AVI download) came up with the same error in VLC but played; also played in WMP but crashed on exiting the program (doesn't crash on either system when playing other AVI files). The other two were the two versions of an MKV file (another download) that I had used examples 1 and 2 from your guide; the first one did not produce an error in VLC but didn't play either. The second version using your second example indicated an unfamiliar codec in VLC (it plays on my Vista system) and would not play; same for WMP.

It is apparent I'm missing codecs on the WinXP system, however I haven't been using this system for playing videos. I will address it when I'm back in a few days. The Vista system I thought had all the codecs I needed, but again I must admit I don't know what I should in this area.

Thanks. --timmer
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Timmer but for redwudz, the Aux-X version is the one that I have also which is a couple years old now. No more work is being done on VDubMod and since the experimental versions of VDub will do everything the mods will do and more, there's really no need for the mods. This version makes most payware editors pretty useless to me. The only thing it won't do now is fancy transitions although you can do a few with the curve editor.

I download a new version about once a week it seems. It's a work in progress that get's better and better with each release.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS, By no means do I feel you are hijacking this thread. In my opening comment I asked for feedback on tools other more experienced users found particularly valuable. I will absolutely download and attempt to use the recommendations. I value this video community input. I just returned from a few day trip, so it may take me until Monday to find "pleasure" time to attack my video concerns. --timmer545
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Redwudz, I used VirtualDub v1.7.5 on three different AVI files that were reporting "This AVI file is broken" using Direct Stream to copy a new file. It worked on two of the files to correct the problem. Thank you; a wonderful tool that I've had but not used much. Since it was not successful on one of the files I next used Fast Recompress, but the results were unusal. The source file was 733,xxx,xxx and my system stopped (I did this twice) because I ran out of disk space and the copied file had increased over 12x to 93,xxx,xxx,xxx. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Does this behavior suggest to you what it might be? I just downloaded v1.7.6 and will try that. --timmer
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to set the compression codec with VirtualDub when using 'Full Processing' or 'Fast Recompress', otherwise, by default, it will use Uncompressed RGB AVI and generate a huge file. If you check the 'Compression' menu under 'Video', you can select one of those. Most times, you will use the same codec that the original file is.

You can also get information about your input video under 'File>File Information'. VD can also check your file for errors, also under 'Video'.
    Quote Quote