VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New here and having issues. I have just put on my new Dell Nero 8 and when I try and use dvd shrink after encoding an xvid to dvd via TMPG & IFOedit, it burns a dvd. However when I play it in a set top dvd player it only has 1 chapter ( no big deal), but it doesn't start from the beginning of the video. It starts about an hour in and that is all that is there. Has anyone else had issues with Nero 8 & shrink? It also did the same thing with a dvd to dvd burn. Are there settings in Nero 8 I missed? I encode with combined community codec only and it goes smooth, the file plays fine when I preview it in shrink, then it all goes haywire. Am I doing something wrong or is there settings in this new Nero I am missing? PLease help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you've encoded it to DVD format, I don't know why you would use DVD Shrink for anything. All you should need to do is author the MPEG-2 file to the DVD format and burn. Nero has a bad habit of re-encoding everything, whether it needs it or not. DVD Shrink is a transcoder, and would just add another level of quality loss if the file is too big to fit on a DVD. Better to encode it to the proper format and size in the first place.

If you encoded properly with TMPGEnc encoder, try authoring with DVD authorgui, then burn with ImgBurn.

Or if you want easy for Divx or Xvid off the net to DVD, use ConvertXToDVD and burn with ImgBurn. Or for freeware, try FAVC.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, but when I do DVD to DVD with shrink it comes out the same way. And if I author with IFO edit, can I just burn with IMGburn? And what are my options with dvd to dvd in that respect?

Thanks for the welcome
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone else offer suggestions or help especially in regards to DVD to DVD???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah ,I've got a suggestion,listen to redwudz advise,as he is one of the best around here,along with a few others....IMO....
    But try and keep to one subject,as you're kinda going all over the place...xvid to DVD,dvd to dvd,TMPGgenc, Ifoedit, you know what I mean?....keep it simple.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, then what is the best suggestion for dvd to dvd since shrink is evidently out of the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jerbevpicasso
    ok, then what is the best suggestion for dvd to dvd since shrink is evidently out of the question?
    DVD Decrypter: ISO Read mode -->ISO Write mode
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much. Now as far as TMPG goes, I have encoded an xvid into separate streams like I always do will that affect anything?. So next I have to Author with authorgui and then use imgburn to burn. Can you add multiple files with imgburn? For example I have 3 or 4 episodes of a popular Brit scifi show and I want to put them all together on 1 dvd. Will this method work?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No IMGBurn is just a burning proggy.....If you want to merge 3-4 episodes to DVD,try DVDFlick,FAVC,convertxtoDVD. then use IMGBurn to burn to disc....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's what I meant. but img won't combine say 3-4 encoded eps and burn?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMGburn isn't an authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so in essence tmpg is a waste of time when I can use something like flick that can convert & burn then right?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If using Flick yes,but it'll use IMGBurn for the burning if you set it to...
    http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/dvd-flick-guide.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And imgburn is bad because..
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMGBurn is the best burning proggy,IMO and many more users will agree...
    or is this a riddle/joke/ just for laughs ....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We're still guessing what you exactly want to do.

If you have a Xvid or similar off the net, ConvertXToDVD is about the easiest to use to convert the file to a playable DVD with decent quality. The main reason I mention quality is that most Xvids (Or similar) off the net have been 'trashed' by encoding them to a low quality format, at least compared to the original DVD. It's not really worth wasting your time using several programs to try to get back quality that's already lost, IMO.

If you don't want to try ConvertX, try the freeware FAVC. Or you can use TMPGEnc encoder, then a authoring program to create the DVD format, then a burning program such as ImgBurn to burn your VIDEO_TS folder to DVD disc. You will probably get a slightly better quality that way, but you are still limited by the quality of the file you have started with. And you will have to do a bit of reading and studying to achieve a better quality. I'm mostly thinking of some light filtering and being able to know exactly what quality of video you are starting with in order to be able to 'tweak' the settings of the MPEG encoder, (TMPGEnc in this case.) to get the best quality from what you have.

And you may also find quite a few net videos are PAL format, and that requires yet another layer of conversion to get to the NTSC format that is used for the US.

If instead you have a DVD file, basically a VIDEO_TS folder, NTSC and DVD compliant, then just burn it to a DVD disc with ImgBurn in 'Build Mode' if it's less than 4.37GB. You are not likely to improve it any. DVD Shrink is for commercial DVD-9s that you want to 'shrink' down to fit on a DVD-5 disc.

And if you have a high quality video source to start, then the tools and procedures may be different, again, depending on what you want to do with the video.

Yes, this can get complex. That's why we usually suggest the All-in-One converters like ConvertX or FAVC, unless you are a bit more knowledgeable about video.
    Quote Quote  
  17. And imgburn is bad because..
    it was just born that way. 8)

Nero 8?? ehh? Never mind all that faffing about converting 'n a burning 'n a shrinking, just get a divx compat player for thirty bob and playback on that
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I think I will try using convertxtodvd. most of what I find are ppv's in decent quality so I'll try that. As far as the whole PAL thing goes someone has been generously supplying NTSC compliant vids from over the pond so I think I'll be ok on that front. Thanks for all the help. And I'll try decrypter on my xp box because it doesn't work worth squat when I try it on my Vista box. As far as backing things up goes, most of the ones I was backing up were over 2 hrs therefore that was the other reason I was using shrink. Now will decrypter let me push the file size in the same manner that shrink did? Or am I just screwed for anything like that?
    Quote Quote