VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Are the broadcast network sites flash streaming players a step backwards or forwards? I have two PCs (one older--conected to an LCD TV, and one not so old), and neither can get a great FLV file stream when I try to watch a full episode (say from NBC or CBS). Is the player too system intensive, is it too much network traffic? When CBS used to use RealPlayer files, they worked fine on both systems. Admittedly, if I can download the entire FLV file to my HD, VLC plays it fine, but that is not the point.

I am sure it is a money/control thing, but why not stay with RealPlayer or even WMV file formats that can be played on even the older machines?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wild4trv30
    Admittedly, if I can download the entire FLV file to my HD, VLC plays it fine, but that is not the point.
    It may very well be the point, if you can view it adequatley as a file the choke point might be the limits of your connection speed, your neighbors kids all have a P2P application running etc.

I'm running a 3 year old machine, granted it was top of theline back then, can't say I've experienced any issues related to streaming playback. I usually get a minimum of 10000/1500 on speed tests so bandwidth is way beyond anything a server is going throw my way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm on DSL with a pretty consistent 1.3 MB connection. I watched a stream from NBC this afternoon on the newer of the 2 PCs. Admittedly, it was OK, but still choppier than a RealPlayer stream would be.

Note that when I am viewing the file off-line, I'm using the VLC player. When streaming, you're stuck using the flash player embedded in the site. So, it could also be a poor player on the site?

Oh well...
    Quote Quote