VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am thinking about buying a hddvd add on drive for my xbox 360 in the relatively near future (holiday season probably).

I do understand you can use hacked firmware to use the addon with a pc. My question is:

Can you use hacked firmware on the pc and then use it again on the 360? Does the firmware do any permanent change to the addon unit itself?

Is it truly plug and play? Can you simply use the proper pc drivers to use the hddvd on the pc and then unplug and hook it back up to the xbox 360?

Another question - the 360 is relatively loud compared to a standalone dvd player (especially now that I added an extra fan - I'd probably remove that for watching hddvds). Is this detrimintal to watching hddvds? Or is it not as noticeable?

Thanks....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't really been keeping up, but from what I read, the drive will connect to the pc and be usable without any changes. I seem to recall that the pc didn't recognize the drive name and type information, but the pc was still able to read and playback discs in the drive.

As for the additional fan in the 360, it isn't needed for use of the 360. I assume you added it because of the overheating issue, however, Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years to cover all of the 360's that have that issue. By adding the fan, you likely voided the warranty.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_Windows_page1.html
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote