VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make DVD's play on WMplayer across more than 100 computers!.

Something like putting VLC Media player (or any other type of player) on every computer is not a choice for us.

The best way would be to push the codec needed to each computer into whatever directory it needs to be in so WMPlayer can just play whatever dvd is inserted.

I understand that DVD video uses Mpeg2 Codec, But is it even possible with a codec to just place the files needed in the correct folders? or is there registry settings that each codec install program changes/adds automatically?

Any Help would greatly be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Software DVD-playback requires not only a MPEG-2 codec,
    it also requires a dll (or sort of) that enables the player(s)
    to read the .IFOs and navigate on the .VOBs. Regarding
    WMP especifically, yes both the codec and the DVD-
    -navigation control need to be referenced @ the system
    registry.

Something like putting VLC Media player (or any other type of player)
    on every computer is not a choice for us.
    Would you mind explaining why?

----------------
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry,

The reason we do not want a install type package is because that would require a user or tech to actually be at each workstation and run the package and logged in as admin as well. these workstation are touch screen and are at stores across the east coast. We do not want to give anyone (like store employees) except a tech the admin password. It would take a long time and alot of money to have a tech travel to 100+ computers

the workstations have a special shell built on top of windows, a resturant type point of sale system. We are limited in what we can send to the workstation from a remote location without user intervention, like dropping files in a certain directory......

All the workstations have WMPlayer, and we have a custom button on the poit of sale shell that executes WMPlayer. All we need is the ability to play the contents of the dvd from WMPlayer.

I was thinking that maybe if we can put the files contained in a codec in the correct directory it would magically work......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is also a portable VLC Media Player. I have used it before for a similar purpose. With the portable version, you place all of the executable files on the disc with your video files. The portable version is not an installed version; it runs directly as an executable program. You can also auto run it so that all the user has to do is insert the disc in his DVD drive. VLC doesn't require an external codec. The codec is self contained.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - FYI

C00D1163: A problem occurred with digital copyright protection
    A troubleshooter is available to help you solve this problem. To troubleshoot the problem, see the "DVD Troubleshooter" topic in Windows Help.

Notes:

To play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive and a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer. If you do not have a compatible DVD decoder installed, DVD-related commands, options, and controls do not appear in the Player and you cannot play DVDs. By default, Windows does not include a DVD decoder. For more information about DVD decoders, see Windows Help.
    DVD playback is only available on select versions of Windows.

I do not know which select Windows versions that will play DVD.
    Pol
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    There is also a portable VLC Media Player. I have used it before for a similar purpose. With the portable version, you place all of the executable files on the disc with your video files. The portable version is not an installed version; it runs directly as an executable program. You can also auto run it so that all the user has to do is insert the disc in his DVD drive. VLC doesn't require an external codec. The codec is self contained.
    Putting files on a DVD is not going to happen because they are custom made "training" videos that we have no control over.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But now that I have downloaded the portable version I see it is all contained within 1 folder like you said!

We might use this thank you! I had no idea VLC had a "portable" version!
    Quote Quote