VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

Anybody have an easier way to do this?

Here's the simplest method i've found so far, but very time consuming...

1. Use Toast to make a UDF image of the TS Folder.
    2. Mount that image and use Mac The Ripper to decrypt it.
    3. Use MP4Converter's "DVD Ripper" (or similar app) to convert the Ripped files (chapters) to NTSC and include embedded subtitles.
    4. Burn the resulting file with Toast as a DVD Movie

Had to play with settings to get the best quality i could in DVD Ripper,(.MP4-AVC, 2500 kbps sec bitrate) ...surely not DVD quality anymore, and the subtitles are permanent... but everything else i've tried either loses the subtitles (move only), or seems to be much more involved. (making subtitle file, joining with movie file, etc)

Basically, the problems I've had are...
    1. The MTR TS Folder is decrypted, but still in PAL.
    So I cant just burn it as a NTSC DVD.
    2. Tried to convert just the .VOB files and replace them in the decrypted PAL folder, but this doesnt burn as a dvd, just movie only, no subtitles.
    3. Tried to format/make a DVD out of the decrypted .vob files which created new .bup/.ifo files... still movie only... sad in the pants.

So, i did get my desired result, sorta...

Just wondering if there IS actually a way to take a CSS Encrypted PAL VIDEO_TS folder and make an exact copy, but in NTSC?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Converting PAL to NTSC is difficult and time consuming. If you search the forum, you will find many posts asking to do it. It's much easier to get a hardware dvd player that plays both, a multisync tv, and just rip the dvd to PAL and leave it at that.

The differenent frame rates alone (25 vs 29.97) presents problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed I agree, very time consuming...
    About 10 hours to convert a 2 hour movie on my G5, Dual 2ghz!

Buying another player isn't really an option, so I encode overnight, and it does indeed seem to work.

www.mp4converter.net has "DVD Ripper for Mac"
    www.objectifmac.com has "D-Vision"

Both seem to do the job of converting and have sub title options.
    Good luck, and have patience if you go this route!
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. Rip your DVD with MacTheRipper or YadeX into single VOB.
    2. Convert that VOB from PAL <-> NTSC using the MPEG2 Works 4
    3. Find subtitle for your movie on one of the many subtitles site
    4. Add that subtitle as subtitle track on ripped VOB, author as DVD and burn also with MPEG2 Works 4

This way is a bit better, IMHO, since you'll do only one reconversion and subtitles wont be printed on video track, but added as separate subtitle track as on commercial DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dnix71
    Converting PAL to NTSC is difficult and time consuming.
    not really more than an other encoding (1 hours from NTSC to PAL takes 4 hours on my old PPC 887Mhz*2)
    The differenent frame rates alone (25 vs 29.97) presents problems.
    You forgot that you have 2 rates in NTSC (video and film) . It's better to convert it to NTSC film with some changes in speed (movies -24fps- are convert to PAL with this technic)

PS for subtitle: demux your mpeg (then your sub), convert the stream to NTSC (audio+video), and remux the resulting mpeg with your old subtitle.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys...

But i've found it's even simplier than that...

It seems i don't even need to use mac the ripper or demux anything.

Simply used "DVD Ripper For Mac" (older version from mp4converter.net) and added my VIDEO_TS folder (not a DVD)

Also, found ripping to VOB instead of mp4 is a LOT LOT faster and looks just as good.

Used the options to change framerate to 29.97 and to embed the subtitles right onto the VOB file, then burned with Toast!
    Granted, the subtitles are embedded, but i like subtitles... so does my Filipino wife.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lord Stinkfoot

Also, found ripping to VOB instead of mp4 is a LOT LOT faster and looks just as good.
    That shouldn't be a surprise! Transcoding is always a time-consuming process. By keeping it as a VOB (mpeg-2), you've avoided transcoding, so it should be very fast. Plus, transcoding also necessarily involves a loss in quality. It should not look "just as good," but actually better (perhaps nearly indistinguishably so). The simple rule is: Never transcode unless you have no other option.

Had you wanted to keep the subtitles as selectable elements, you could have re-authored using, say, ffmpegx, after having performed your framerate conversion. But at least you found a method that produced results you're happy with, and ultimately, that's all that counts.
    Quote Quote