VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I have a DVD with a generic SA menu screen and no chapter points. I'd like to remove the menu and add chapters (concert DVD, chapter for each track).

I've heard that TMPGEnc DVD Author is good to use but when I looked into DVD Author version 3 many people in various forums are complaining that it re-encodes already DVD compliant video. Is this true? If so, does version 2.0 or 1.6 re-encode already DVD compliant video as well? If version 2.0 or 1.6 is better and doesn't re-encode the video for what I need to do, can I still get those older versions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. TDA 1.6 doesn't reconvert. I guess TDA 2.0 could shrink mpeg video but I'm not sure. But TDA 2,3 shouldn't reconvert if it's dvd compliant and you should notice if it does because it takes much longer time.

Or use another tool that can import from vobs like dvd-lab and it does not reconvert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDA 1.6 is too simple for this, it can't re-encode. TDA3 is much more flexible but you have to disable some encoding features activated by default (encoding LPCM to AC3, encoding chapter points as I-frames etc.). It will also re-encode the last GOP of each clip (they say it's for safe joining them if someone prefers to add separate clips to the same track). It will not re-encode everything without error message. I still prefer it to DVDLab, it saves a lot of time at menu building.
    Quote Quote