VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to add subtitles to a DVD that does not have any subtitles. However the movie has closed captions. (Closed captions are not viewable on TVs in Asia.) I want to extract the closed captions into a standard subtitle file and then use Subtitle Creator Wizard to re- author the DVD to have regular subtitles. However, after following the guide
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html
    very carefully, I can never get the subtitles to appear in the final product. I used VSRip to get the closed captions off the original DVD. Following, is the beginning part of that srt file:
    00:00:06,006 --> 00:00:09,009
    CAPTIONING MADE POSSIBLE BY
    WARNER BROS.

00:01:13,406 --> 00:01:15,408
    $1.00!

00:01:15,408 --> 00:01:16,409
    $1.00!

00:02:38,408 --> 00:02:40,910
    [MUSIC BLARING]

00:02:51,838 --> 00:02:53,339
    TYPEWRITERS
    AND TRANSCRIPTS.

00:02:53,339 --> 00:02:54,841
    IS THERE
    ANYTHING MISSING?

00:02:54,841 --> 00:02:57,343
    THE KEY TO
    THE LADIES ROOM.

In this file, I can see all the subtitles in the movie, from beginning to end. These are the subtitles that I want to appear in the final DVD. I ripped the movie to the hard drive with DVD Fab Platinum and I installed Subtitle Creator Wizard and converted the subtitle file to a sup file, installed Pgcdemux, and Muxman. I loaded in the sup file and followed all the directions in the guide. The final result (there were no errors displayed in the processing) did not have any subtitles when played in Power DVD. The subtitle indicator was highlighted (and could be turned on or off) which makes me think Power DVD was sensing subtitles, but no subtitles ever appeared in the movie. (I know my Power DVD will display subtitles on other subtitled movies that are ripped to the hard drive.) On this original movie rip, when played with Power DVD, the subtitle option is not available (greyed out), as it should be, because there are no regular subtitles on this movie.
    I tried the whole process several more times, including using Pgcdemux and Muxman manually (and trying different options like unchecking the "Remove hearing impaired text" and unchecking "Demux all subpic streams"), but always with the same result of no subtitles in the output file. And always, the subtitle option in Power DVD is highlighted, as if it is sensing subtitles. Can anybody give me an idea how to solve this problem? I'm a newby and need to have clear directions.
    Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you already recorded a test DVD-RW and
    played it on a standalone?

==================
    Quote Quote  
  3. No I didn't burn a disk. I don't see any reason to waste a disk. I can't get RW disks here. My past experience is that Power DVD and Media Player Classic will always display subtitles (when DVD is played on the hard drive) if the subtitles are present in the DVD. I also tried Media Player Classic and it did not display the subtitles on the final product on the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What happens when you load the VOBs into DVDSubEdit? Can you see the subs then?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the tip on DVDSubEdit. I will post back in about an hour and report if the subtitles are there or not. By the way, other than viewing if subtitles are present or not, can DVDSubEdit be of any help in this case (adding subtitles to a DVD)? If so, what are the basic steps I need to follow in using that software?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try just authoring with the SRT file using GuiForDVDAuthor.

I have found that sometimes subtitles will not display if the bitrate is close to maximum.

I can tell you from experience that many of the subtitles' display duration will be too short to be usefully readable. One to one and a half seconds is just not long enough. Actually the longest duration you have there is just over 2.5 seconds for a two-line display. Somewhere between 3 and 4 seconds is needed. This is an issue with CC conversions.

I've been working on a utility to extend these durations which is pretty well done but has been shelved due to other projects. It ain't perfect but I could send you a copy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, other than viewing if subtitles are present or not, can DVDSubEdit be of any help in this case (adding subtitles to a DVD)?
    If the subtitles are there but they are invisible it is most likely due to them being positioned outside the visible area of the video. If that is the case it is extremely easy to reposition them using DVDSubEdit, read the manual (it is included). It might also be a problem with the colours you have chosen (transparent on transparent background is never a good idea), that can also easily be changed.

You can not use it to add subtitles to a DVD, only to modify and manipulate them.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yep, I was going to say the same thing. If they're too low (like below the screen), then DVDSubEdit can easily raise them into viewing range. This kind of thing is usually more of an issue with PAL2NTSC conversions rather than with newly created subs for a DVD. But it's still worth opening the VOBs in DVDSubEdit just to see if they're visible. I suppose it's possible that there's something about the SUP files you created that Muxman doesn't like (or the invisible issue, as träskmannen mentioned), but since I don't use Subtitle Creator for making SUP files from SRT files, I don't really know. If worse comes to worst, I know of a guaranteed way to make subs show up, as I've done it dozens of times, but it's a different method of creating subs for Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If they are NOT there you can open the *.sup files in DVD SubEdit directly (drag-and drop a *.sup and say no when you are asked to locate an IFO). If the *.sup-file is empty then something went wrong from subtitle creator. If not, then something went wrong during the authoring.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Got to go to bed for now. I loaded a vob in DVDSubEdit and it says 403 subpics found. But the subtitles are not visible in the picture displayed on any of the frames in DVDSubEdit. However, if I check "show bitmap zoom", then the subtitles are clearly displayed in a separate window that pops up. Shouldn't I see the subtitles inside the picture in DVDSubEdit? Also if I ht "run Ocr" (in bottom right of DVDSubEdit"), then I can see the subtitles in that ocr box, but still not in the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey, in DVDSubEdit, I moved the "subpic vertical position" up to 57 and now the subtitles are visible in the DVDSubEdit picture. If I move the subpic vertical position higher, like 81, then the subtitle moves up a little higher into the picture (where it could be better seen if some TVs don't show the very bottom of the picture).
    My question is, how can I get the whole VOB ( all the frames) to have the subtitles repositioned up where I can see them? Presently, only the one frame I am looking is repositioned. If I look at another frame, then I must again move the "subpic vertical position" to be able to see the subtitle. Also (important), can somebody tell me why the subtitles are off the bottom of the screen (in the first place)? Also, where in the original srt file (see my first post in this thread to see part of the srt file) is the information that makes the subtitles in a certain position on the screen? When I look at the srt file , I just see the words to be displayed, and the time that they should be displayed. I don't see any information about how many inches up into the picture that the subtitles should be displayed. Thanks a lot for any answers you can give to these questions. Oh, one more thing. When I ripped this subtitles with VSRip, I posted them (the srt file) on a subtitle web page. If someone else tries to use these subtitles with a regular AVI file, will they have the same problem as I (subtitles off the bottom of the picture)? If so, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. How can I change the characteristics of the srt file so that the subtitles will be positioned correctly?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Then träskmannen may have nailed it when he suggested you may have created invisible subs. Start experimenting with the SubPic Color/Transparency slider, moving it to the right towards opaque for the e1, e2, b, and p until you find the right combination to get the main color and outline to show up:

Edit: Oh, it was the low subs thing. You move it up for one sub, then go Edit->Apply Last Modifications To All (and the "Apply Changes To Subpic Vertical Pos" box should already be checked). Then when all done, File->Save All Modifications. It's all explained in the very good included guide.

No one using the SRT subs in an AVI will have this problem. My guess is that you overlooked some setting when creating the SUP file, but having never used SubtitleCreator for making SUP files, I don't know exactly what.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also, where in the original srt file (see my first post in this thread to see part of the srt file) is the information that makes the subtitles in a certain position on the screen?
    This information is not stored in the *.srt so there is no risk that anybody else will have problems due to any fault in the file you made.

What happened in your case was that Subtitle Creator made a *.sup where the position of the subs is too low (that is the default setting, unfortunately). Remember to set them a bit higher next time, drag and drop and you are done!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks everybody. I used DVDSubEdit and raised all the subtitles vertically, so now they are visible in the picture, and for a little finesse, I even turned all the subtitles YELLOW. There was a suggestion to go back to
    Subtitle Creator and make a new sup file and raise the subtitle vertical position (yes, I see that option now), but that would mean re-demuxing and muxing, which takes about and hour. I just used
    DVDSubEdit and did all the modifications to the whole movie (did each vob one by one) in about 10 minutes total.
    I do have a question. Is there any other good software besides Subtitle Creator that will convert srt files into sup files (and allow vertical adjustment of subtitles in the srt - sup conversion)? The reason I ask is that I now got the hang of using Pgcdemux and Muxman manually, so I don't need Subtitle Creator any more. The problem is that Subtitle Creator requires .NETv2 which uses over 80mb of valuable hard drive space. I would rather save the hard drive space and delete .NETv2 if I could find some other simple software that would convert srt files to sup files.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    re-demuxing and muxing, which takes about and hour
    Do you have more than one hard disk? In that case I suggest that you use one of them for the source and the other as target for these operations. It will go faster!

You can try srt2sup, I have never tried it and I have no idea if it needs .net framework or not.
    Quote Quote  
  16. did each vob one by one
    Load all of them at the same time by holding the Shift key while highlighting the first VOB, and then add the rest with the Down Arrow key.
    Is there any other good software besides Subtitle Creator that will convert srt files into sup files
    There are several other ways to do this. The one I've settled on is to convert to SSA format (SubResynch (included with the VobSub package) will do it more-or-less instantly), open the SSA in MaestroSBT, and save as SST. Muxman accepts SST subtitles, in addition to SUP files. You have to make sure you save the BMPs in 4-bit color and at 720x480/576. By doing it that way you'll be able to choose the font, size, position (height), outline thickness, and other things. Set up a separate folder as it's going to make a BMP for each line of dialog. Don't worry about the colors, as they're easy to fix afterwards in DVDSubEdit (as you discovered) or PGCEdit. Here's a MaestroSBT guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic292313.html?

He's making SON subs for authoring in Maestro, where you want SST for Muxman. He's saving as TIFF, where yours have to be Windows BMP 4-bit. But it has a preview to check after you set it up, and you can change anything you need before creating the final BMPs.
    Quote Quote