VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Introduction -

I wrote an initial impression and posted it as part of the comments in the DVD Recorder section for the SV2000 WV10D6 (link) - this is a follow up on what I've managed to learn since.

It appears that the price I paid of $49.97 is the new regular price - the WalMart web listing still shows $79.96 (10/19/07) but both my local stores have plenty of stock at the lower price.

The plentiful stock is kind of strange - didn't the government mandate that any import from March/2007 are NOT supposed to have just an analog tuner? I have had 2 of these units - and both boxes were very recent/new - with late September and early October dates on the store delivery/ship labels - BUT the actual units had a manufacturing date stuck on of October 2006.

Follow Up -

The WV10D6 has the following quality/speed levels -

HQ = 1 hour
    SP = 2 hours
    SPP = 2.5 hours
    LP = 3 hours
    EP = 4 hours
    SLP = 6 hours

I found the EP (4hours) recordings good/very acceptable - at least on my 27" analog CRT TV - only the SLP (6hour) recordings appeared to show artifacts - even then it is more than acceptable for program shifting.

So I did recording at each speed/quality levels and examined them with GSpot v2.70a (edit to eliminate headers with blank fields)

HQ (1Hour) (see SP for full details)
    Frame Width (pixels): 720
    Frame Height (pixels): 480
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 8948
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.864
    "
    src:"VCD", "SVCD", "CVD", or "DVD (else blank): DVD

SP (2hours)
    --- Video Information ---
    Video Codec Type(e.g. "DIV3"): MPEG2
    Video Codec Name(e.g. "DivX 3, Low-Motion"): MPEG-2
    Storage Aspect Ratio("SAR")" 1.500
    Pixel Aspect Ratio ("PAR"): 0.889
    Display Aspect Ratio ("DAR"): 1.333
    Fields Per Second: 59.940
    Frames Per Second: 29.970
    Pics Per Second: 29.970
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 4339
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.419
    "

MPEG-2 ("MPEG-2" or ""): MPEG-2
    Interlaced ("I/L" or ""): I/L
    Top Frame First ("TFF" or ""): TFF

--- Aspect Ratio Related ---
    Broadcast standard: "NTSC" (else blank) NTSC
    Instructions to convert to DVD, first part: No resize req'd
    Instructions to convert to DVD, second part: No cropping req'd

>> only thing that varies between HQ and SP are the Video Bit Rates and the Qf (Quality factor)

SPP (2.5hours)
    --- Video Information ---
    Video Codec Type(e.g. "DIV3"): MPEG2
    Video Codec Name(e.g. "DivX 3, Low-Motion"): MPEG-2
    Frame Width (pixels): 352
    Storage Aspect Ratio("SAR")" 0.733
    Pixel Aspect Ratio ("PAR"): 1.818
    Display Aspect Ratio ("DAR"): 1.333
    Fields Per Second: 59.940
    Frames Per Second: 29.970
    Pics Per Second: 29.970
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 3083
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.609
    "

MPEG-2 ("MPEG-2" or ""): MPEG-2
    Interlaced ("I/L" or ""): I/L
    Top Frame First ("TFF" or ""): TFF

--- Aspect Ratio Related ---
    Broadcast standard: "NTSC" (else blank) NTSC
    src:"VCD", "SVCD", "CVD", or "DVD (else blank): CVD
    Instructions to convert to CVD, first part: No resize req'd
    Instructions to convert to CVD, second part: No cropping req'd
    Instructions to convert to DVD, first part: Resize to 704 x 480 ( w:[2/1] h:[1/1] )
    Instructions to convert to DVD, second part: Pad 8 to each side for 720 x 480

>> SPP (2.5hours) drops the resolution to CVD standard 352x480 - (China Video Disc @ Wikipedia and CVD on VideoHelp) - because of the lower resolution (352x480) the video bitrate is lower - BUT the Qf jumps back up to 0.609.

All the remaining lower quality/speed recording are CVD (352x480)
    - differing only in the video bitrate, therefore also the Qf.

LP (3hours) -
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 2631
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.520"

EP (4hours) -
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 2032
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.401"

SLP (6hours) -
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 1312
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.259"

>> the Qf for EP (4hours) was 0.401 about the same as for the SP (2hour) recording (Qf=0.419) - kind of makes sense since EP's CVD resolution is about half that of SP allowing for about double the recording time at the same bits/pixel ratio.

SLP (6hours) the only recording that I could see artifacts (edge halos and some motion artifacts - please remember the limitation of my analog CRT TV) has a Qf = 0.256
    according to Qf at Wikipedia -
    "a good rule of thumb is to keep the Qf somewhere between 0.20 and 0.28 and encoding to Qf values over 0.30 is just a waste of bits:"

The SLP (6hour) recordings' Qf = 0.256 is easily in the upper part of this range - but the quality definitely can be improved IMHO -
    however I found it pretty hard to fault a Qf of >0.40 - for both the SP (2hour) and EP (4hour).

Just for comparison this is the GSpot info for the Terminator - T2 Extreme DVD - sequence just after the titles (chapter 4) -
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 5083
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.491"

So for me I would record mainly on EP (4hour) with a very occassional SP (2hour) for only any very special TV programs (understanding the limitation of my TV and cable) - and SLP for program shifting.

ADDENDUM -

I posted this in my comments/impressions - but I think it may be worthwhile posting it here too:

"E4 54037380 - I had a number of E4 errors "Recording Error - can not record on this disc" - I did the obvious things like tried different discs etc -

Did a lot of on-line research - this error code seems to be common to quite a few DVD recorders (or VCR combo) like Emerson, Sylvannia, Magnavox - not surprising since they are made by Funai - (even one instance of JVC!) - advice was very variable - mostly clean the laser pick up lens -

I phoned Funai support - and was told there was probably something wrong with the pick-up unit and to exchange the recorder as this might give problems later on.

Exchanged, but the new recorder still gave the same E4 error -
    in the end I found what was probably the problem here on VideoHelp - but under the Magnavox WMR10D6 DVD recorder - https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders/magnavox-mwr10d6/1731 -
    terryj from United States reported April 01, 2007:
    "Apparent re-use on DVD-RW with these units is 4 times max. Fifth time gives you spotty recording effort. So don't re-use your DVD-RW/+RWs
    more than four times, without replacing them with
    fresh media, or you'll find your timers may not
    go off as planned."

For me this 4 times re-use limitation appears to be the Edit type reuse - ie: overwriting and/or deleting a title and trying to record onto the same vacated space.

It seems erasing the entire DVD+RW gives the disc a clean start.
    "
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one of these. I needed another player in any case so I thought even if it didn't burn well I could just use it as a player. But I was very pleasantly surprised. It records very well. I have recorded 20 or 25 discs so far with zero problems. I have recorded in the 1 hour, 2 hour, 2.5 hour and 3 hour modes. I scanned several of them with K-Probe and the scans were all excellent. Maybe I'm the lucky one out of ten but it performs much better that I expected.

I haven't looked inside to see which chip or burner they use. If I do, I will report what I found.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    I bought one of these. I needed another player in any case so I thought even if it didn't burn well I could just use it as a player. But I was very pleasantly surprised. It records very well. I have recorded 20 or 25 discs so far with zero problems. I have recorded in the 1 hour, 2 hour, 2.5 hour and 3 hour modes. I scanned several of them with K-Probe and the scans were all excellent. Maybe I'm the lucky one out of ten but it performs much better that I expected.
    Thank you for the feedback -

Yes, I too am very pleased with this DVD recorder.

I think a lot of problem could be due to the whole nature of "video recorders" - obviously this doesn't apply to the overall expertise here - but the old joke of the flashing clock on the VCR comes to mind.

Then there was the aspect of expecting the DVD recorder to work like a VCR - which I did - until I got those dreaded E4 errors - since I would record then delete/overwrite titles just like on a VHS tape - and I guess once I went over about 4 times re-use I got the E4 - can not record on this disc error. But once I was aware of this (thanks to VideoHelp) I have not had this problem.

I was just surprised to find any recording of lower quality than SP (2hours) was CVD format (352x480) - I hadn't even heard of CVD - and had to look it up.

Of course with hindsight this CVD (obviously) now makes sense - how else could one squeeze so much video on to a single DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by UnknownVT

I was just surprised to find any recording of lower quality than SP (2hours) was CVD format (352x480)
    It's better to cut resolution above two hours so the bit rate doesn't have to be cut so much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More comments on the SV2000 WV10D6 DVD Recorder -

Editing

Basically all I want to do right now is to cut out adverts and trim the recording to lose the extra bits before and after the program.

After researching and trying out some editing software for my PC - I have ended up using the editing feature on the WV10D6.

It may seem crude - but at the same time it is simple-minded. It allows one to add chapter marks and then to make any chaper invisible (it's not deleted - the chapter is skipped during play) or make it visible if one makes a mistake.

Any chapter mark can also be deleted - so for example if a section of ads was hidden and the next chapter mark is a bit too close - that mark can be deleted.

The default recording setting adds a chapter mark every 10 minutes - which is convenient, allowing one to easily skip forward 10 minutes at a time.

Title names can be changed, and a still/picture can be selected from the recording for the index/thumbnail picture.

These simple and crude editing facilities can make (with some, but minor effort) a pretty nice recording.

I then use the "make edits compatible" - so that the DVD will play on other machines - and take it to my PC - and back it up to my hard drive using DVD Shrink - note one strange behavior - DVD Shrink doesn't seem to like more than one recording/title on the DVD - complains there's something not right about the DVD structure - although things like Smart Ripper can rip the DVD. But I just remember to make only one recording at a time before taking it to DVD Shrink (actually with multiple titles - if all but the first title is deleted - ie: leaving only one title - then DVD Shrink is quite happy with that DVD too).

Using DVD Shrink to Re-Author the backed-up (ripped) video - I see TWO titles - one of which is shorter by a few minutes - that's the one without the ads - ie: the version that is edited - where the ads are actually deleted. I use that to burn onto another DVD - actually I accumulate enough - eg: two movies - before writing to a new DVD - then I can safely delete the original DVD+RW to re-use......
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still more comments -

Some small/minor niggly complaints -

Analog Tuner's TV signal - I have noticed at first glance (also read on the web) - that the TV picture from this DVD recorder's analog tuner seems to have less impact/crispness than my TV's own tuner - I can easily do an A/B comparison as my TV's remote can switch between TV and AV - this is only somewhat true.

What I've surmised is the signal from the tuner is brighter, but less saturated - perhaps it might be a bit less contrasty and a bit less sharp (not sure because of the first two aspects). I think the visual resolution is about the same - (ie: I can't see less or more than the TV's own signal picture) - but it is less noisy than the TV's own signal - and on a number of channels where I get a lot of noise using the TV's own tuner - this tuner seems to be good enough to more or less eliminate it, enough that those problem channels basically look as good as the good regular channels.

I now have set a "compromise" to get acceptable picture with both my TV's own signal and that from this DVD recorder - so my TV is a slightly more saturated than I'd like and the DVD recorder's signal is a bit paler than I'd ideally like - but they are still acceptable and probably within the variation I see between my cable channels. The elimination of noise from the problematic channels is obviously a real plus as I can record fine off those channels. (My old VHS VCR (Quasar) did this as well, but without the noticable difference between the signal/picture quality)

Clock/time - there is no easy way to see what the clock/time set is - the only way I know is to use the clock setting sequence and look - then back out of it.

The reason why I'm retentive about this aspect is because I had one instance where the clock had the wrong time - a day after I had manually set the correct time. I think this was due to me leaving the time on the default AUTO time set and auto - that was supposed to automatically search for a (PBS) channel, and set the time from that - except it "found" channel 59 on my cable - which was NOT a PBS channel, and set some pretty random time - causing a timer program to be missed. I have since set the clock to be set manually - as I no longer trust this auto clock setting (even though I do know the the 2 PBS channels on my cable).

Indicator Lights - three LEDs on the front panel which show left to right ON, Rec, Timer - but they are set fairly closely together and all 3 are red - which means at a glance it is not easily identifiable which light is on - eg: to tell whether the unit is just ON, or on Timer mode - this is a minor complaint - but they could have easily used different colored LEDs, or placed the LEDs at different enough positions to make them more easily identifiable.

Overall I'm still pretty happy with this purchase - especially at the price of $49.97 - like I said it's only $20 more than the cheapest DVD player - to get a pretty good DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the fine review of this recorder. I noticed them for sale at my local wal-mart and thought "can this really be very good for $50?". When I get some extra cash I might consider getting one.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the comments - I thought I'd give this link from AVSforum -

Recording Quality Levels

with some useful discussion of the various recording levels/speeds on DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks in advance and please forgive me as I am trying to put this into words as best I can. Hopefully it will make sense to someone. So that being said, I am sorry if it isn't understandable.

Please help me...

I have the SV2000 from Walmart. Here is my problem. I have a Sony Receiver that I have everything running thru. My cable comes in from the wall and into the cable box and then from cable box to receiver. All my connections are S-Video. Since my receiver is older, the DVD hookup on the back only has inputs, no outputs. So basically there is no way to hook up the DVD recorder using the DVD inputs on my reciever. BUT...the VCR hookup on my receiver does have both inputs and outputs so that you can record using a VCR. What I have done is just hook the DVR up thru the VCR hookup on my receiver and basically treated my DVD player like a VCR. So I used my reciever how it should be used...everything running into it and then back out to the different components. I would simply select TV on my receiver and it would bring up cable TV. Now I was able to press record on my DVD recorder and it would record perfectly. Here is the problem I moved and wasn't here when the cable guy hooked everything up. (yes...I was pissed!) Anyway, he didn't bother to hook up the DVD recorder. So I took everything apart and hooked it all back up how it used to be. I have double and triple checked it. Now whenever I attempt to record TV it will only record static/snow. I have the DVD recorder going out and then into the receiver and then out of the receiver and back into into the DVD recorder. I have triple checked everything. I am using S-video everywhere there is a video signal. Everything looks perfect as far as the hookups go. Then I checked the settings within the DVD recorder. I made sure it was on the rear S-video selection. Before when I hooked this up I didn't have to do anything to the DVD recorder channel selection and didn't have to have the DVD recorder on any particular channel since I used my cable box to change the channels. Again, all I used to have to do is be watching TV (using my receiver...w/ surround sound) and just turn the DVD recorder on and hit record. Now it doesn't tape anything but snow. And yes, I can watch DVDs on this DVD recorder and the sound and video is going right thru my receiver then to the TV and surround sound.

What the heck is wrong????? Again, sorry for the length and the confusion!

Thanks so much,

Marc
    gobrownstd54@aol.com
    Why won't it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gobrownstd54
    So that being said, I am sorry if it isn't understandable.
    What the heck is wrong????? Again, sorry for the length and the confusion!
    Yes, long and complicated....
    Maybe if you broke it up onto paragraphs (or even better bullet points) it might have been more easily assimilated.

Anyway - just so you don't think you're being ignored - here are some suggestions.

Is there some way you can check -

1) there is actually a video signal coming out of the S-Video cable from your receiver that goes to the DVD recorder?

2) is there a way to "monitor" the DVD recorder as it's recording - I know you (obviously) can watch TV via the receiver/cable/box - but is there a way of watching the video output from the DVD recorder as it is recording?

3) sounds like you have selected the correct input - just double check it is E1 (Rear) external source - and you do have S-Video set for that source - page 34-35 of your manual ( Download pdf manual )

4) a remote chance - but have to ask - have you tried recording from different channels/programs - maybe you tried to record from a something that might have had copyright protection?

Please let us know how you get on?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gobrownstd54
    I have double and triple checked it. Now whenever I attempt to record TV it will only record static/snow. I have the DVD recorder going out and then into the receiver and then out of the receiver and back into into the DVD recorder. I have triple checked everything. I am using S-video everywhere there is a video signal. Everything looks perfect as far as the hookups go.
    Since the RF in/out of all DVDRs is just a signal pass-thru, try this:

Connect your incoming cable to the DVDR first.
    Continue the coax to your receiver, then on the the TV. (Add a line connection to TV, if desired.)
    Run a line (S-Video) connection from the receiver back to the DVDR line input for recording from the receiver.

Now, you should have two separate tuners, connected to your TV on different inputs, and you can record on the DVDR while watching a receiver channel. If you record something from the receiver, both tuners will be in use, so you'll only be able to play a DVD while recording.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both so much. I will try your ideas and let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much!!
    Why won't it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the chipset in this thing?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    What's the chipset in this thing?
    I will open mine this weekend and find out. I will post back after I do.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just picked this up today hoping it would help with my conversion of some movies to DVD. Some of my VHS tapes are on thier last legs and I wanted to record them to DVD and keep the tapes put away.

My first try tells me I can't record/backup a movie from VHS because it is copy protected.

Does anyone know of a way to disable this function so I can back them up?

I am using an SV2000 VCR with the rca video and audio out and into the SV2000 WV10D6 dvd recorder. I'm wondering if I run it through the co-ax if it would work.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JamesGT
    ISome of my VHS tapes are on thier last legs and I wanted to record them to DVD and keep the tapes put away. My first try tells me I can't record/backup a movie from VHS because it is copy protected.
    False MV is addressed here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic246129.html
    The bane of modern DVD recorders and capture cards. Overly reactive MPAA-induced crap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I've done quite a bit of research since my post to find out about that.

It's a weird catch 22. It's not illegal for you to make copies for yourself, but it's illegal to break to copy protection to make legal copies for yourself.

Looks like I'll be picking up one of those little boxes and try it out.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow Up -

I've now lived with this DVD recorder for almost 2 months - and more or less gotten used to it and have settled into a routine for usage.

Since I still have a functioning VCR - I still use that for program shifting -
    I use my SV2000/WV10D6 DVD recorder for recordings I think I want to keep.

I now set my timer for 1 minute before the show starts, and 2 minutes after the end.
    Leave clock on Manual, as I do not trust the Auto set from the PBS channels see this thread - Fall for Recorder Clock.

Record on DVD+RW - Office Depot (Ritek 004)
    - in EP 4 hour mode -
    I can see very little difference, if any, between 1-4 hour modes
    (and only very slight degradation on 6hr SLP mode) from recordings off cable
    - this could well be a limitation of my 27" CRT TV and/or analog cable signal.
    But 2hr SP mode is too limiting as many movies run (with ads) run well over 2 hours -
    the next quality level - 2.5hr SPP mode records at the same lower 352x480 (CVD) resolution as 4hr EP mode
    - so I've more or less standardized on 4 hr EP mode
    - of course YMMV.

Edit in machine to top/tail and hide ads -
    takes about 20 minutes for a 2-3hour movie - crude but effective, awkward but not too hard - overall shorter and less complex than trying to rip (which takes almost as long as my in machine edit) and edit on PC. (I have yet to find a PC program that can edit the VOB files directly without conversion to MP2 or AVI files)
    - Make Edits Compatible on machine - this can take up to about 20 minutes.

DVDshrink re-author and backUp the edited title (shorter) to PC hard drive (this is pretty quick about 10mins on average).

Accumulate enough/appropriate titles - then re-author with DVDshrink for compliation
    - burn to single DVD+R (on PC)
    eg: I am collecting Planet Earth episodes that clock in at 1hr each with ads
    - after edit they are about 40mins
    - so I probably should be able to get 5-6 episodes on a single DVD+R.
    I can also pair related movies - like
    Lara Croft - Tomb Raider and Cradle of Life
    Predator and Predator 2......

So overall I am still very pleased with this recorder
    and have now collected some very nice DVD compilation/recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I need some help,I can not Pause during recording.I'm trying to copy stuff from dvr to dvds and like to skip commercials but unable to do so
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dhaniyal
    Hi
    I need some help,I can not Pause during recording.I'm trying to copy stuff from dvr to dvds and like to skip commercials but unable to do so
    If you're using "one-touch timer" recording -
    where the record button is pressed repeatedly to record 30min-->1hr--- etc -->6hrs
    (or programmmed timer recording - set date/time to record a program in the future)
    then the Pause Button is NOT available - see page 28 of the manual.

But pressing the record button just once, so the recorder is just simply recording (withOUT any timing)
    then one should be able to Pause the recording.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are 100% correct Vincent!
    Pause function is availble now,thanks very much for your help.I went through instruction manual several times but somehow missed that info.
    I appologize not posting my reply soon we just came back from vacation overseas.
    Thanks again
    Dhaniyal
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dhaniyal
    Pause function is availble now,thanks very much for your help.I went through instruction manual several times but somehow missed that info.
    I appologize not posting my reply soon we just came back from vacation overseas.
    Not a problem - hope you enjoyed your vacation.

You might want to consider this alternate way instead.

Dub/record your video tape straight through -
    this way it needs not be attended -
    so you can do it overnight while you're asleep -
    or when you go out to work.......

Then Edit the DVD recording to skip the ads.

You have to think differently with this SV2000/WV10D6 (and the Magnavox MWR10D6 clone).

The idea is to mark the beginning and end of the ad period - making it a chapter -
    then Hide that ads chapter.

That way the machine skips the ads.

It's probably too long to describe in detail - here's a summary of what I have to do.

Under Edit mode
    find beginning of ads - Pause - Chapter Mark -> Add -> Yes.
    (page 54 of the on-line pdf SV2000/WV10D6 Manual)
    Do the same for at the end of ads.
    That makes that ads period a chapter.

Then go anywhere in that ads chapter - Current Chapter->Hidden
    (Page 56 of manual) - that hides that ads chapter you created.

Some things to watch out for -
    on recording the default is auto chapter marks every 10 minutes -
    if one of those auto chapter marks falls inside the ads chapter -
    that auto chapter mark should be "deleted" -
    otherwise the ads period is actually 2 chapters -
    or alternately you can just hide both chapters.

To be able to play your DVD on any other machine (including PC) you have to "Finalize" it (Page 36)
    or if DVD+RW "Make Edits Compatible"

Hope that's clear and useful enough.
    Quote Quote