VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new set up, Panasoinic 42in HDTV. I connected the Timewarner HDTV box to the tv with HDMI cables with my home theater system, also with HDMI.

When I connected the TV to the cable box I had to restart the box in order for it to show a picture on the screen. Now, whenever I turn the TV off then on, it will show a screen saying that my TV cannot support this cable setting in HDMI, I think its because of the difference ratios 480i, 720i, 1080i.

For me to get a picture, I would have to reset the cable box.

I talked to the cable guy from Timewarner and he said that it is the TV that is not setting for the cable box. Therefore, every time I turn the TV off it resets.

How do I fix this problem? I tried to set the different resolutions via the cable box but it is set where I cannot adjust anything when I use the HDMI cable.

As of right now, when I leave I just turn off the cable and receiver. I dont turn the tv off or I would have to restart the cable box again. How bad is this for the TV?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD? If so set it to 1080i out and separate audio over S/PDIF for the audio system. See the manual for the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I believe it is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As of right now, my set up is HDMI cable from Time Warner cable box to TV and another HDMI from receiver to TV's 2nd HDMI port.

I also have the White/Red cable from the TV to the receiver, for the audio.

I was told that if I use HDMI cables, I am not suppose to have the component cables plugged. The White/Red cables are connected to the AUX port on the receiver. Is this right? If I were (this is what I want) to use HDMI audio on the receiver what setting am I suppose to set it at?

I talked to a tech over the phone from Time Warner and he said that I will have to turn off my cable box and the tv in order for the tv to show without the error disply. (This is the main problem I been trying to solve)

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume there is a video source such as a DVD player connected to your AVR? If not, there is no reason for the 2nd HDMI cable.

As for your cable box audio, the red/white RCA cables will provide stereo sound. They can be connected to any available inputs on your AVR. If you want surround sound from the cable box, you will need to connect digital audio cables (optical or coaxial) from the cable box to the AVR.

AVR=Audio Visual Receiver
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by S4one
    As of right now, my set up is HDMI cable from Time Warner cable box to TV and another HDMI from receiver to TV's 2nd HDMI port.

I also have the White/Red cable from the TV to the receiver, for the audio.

I was told that if I use HDMI cables, I am not suppose to have the component cables plugged. The White/Red cables are connected to the AUX port on the receiver. Is this right? If I were (this is what I want) to use HDMI audio on the receiver what setting am I suppose to set it at?

I talked to a tech over the phone from Time Warner and he said that I will have to turn off my cable box and the tv in order for the tv to show without the error disply. (This is the main problem I been trying to solve)

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    The Scientific Atlanta 8300HD has a menu setting to send audio out the SPDIF digital audio port. Connect the 8300HD digital audio (coax or optical) to the audio receiver. That way you get AC3 5.1 sound. RCA white/red from the TV only gets you analog stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S4one,

It seems I have exactly the same equipment with exactly the same problem. Have you found a resolution yet? (I've not yet been successful.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back to the original question,

Originally Posted by S4one
    I just bought a new set up, Panasoinic 42in HDTV. I connected the Timewarner HDTV box to the tv with HDMI cables with my home theater system, also with HDMI.

When I connected the TV to the cable box I had to restart the box in order for it to show a picture on the screen. Now, whenever I turn the TV off then on, it will show a screen saying that my TV cannot support this cable setting in HDMI, I think its because of the difference ratios 480i, 720i, 1080i.

For me to get a picture, I would have to reset the cable box.

I talked to the cable guy from Timewarner and he said that it is the TV that is not setting for the cable box. Therefore, every time I turn the TV off it resets.

How do I fix this problem? I tried to set the different resolutions via the cable box but it is set where I cannot adjust anything when I use the HDMI cable.

As of right now, when I leave I just turn off the cable and receiver. I dont turn the tv off or I would have to restart the cable box again. How bad is this for the TV?

Thanks
    Does the "error" mention HDCP? The connection from the cable box to the HDTV over HDMI usually requires an exchange of key codes under HDCP to allow the connection to function. Evidently both pieces of equipment must be on for the connection to be completed.

I think HDCP can be turned on or off at the option of the cable company. My Comcast Motorola HD box has HDCP turned on. The connection doesn't function for non HDCP capable monitors.

My Comcast cable box to Samsung HDTV maintains the connection if the TV is turned off but remains plugged in. It also reconnects when the cable box is disconnected from power. Turning the cable box "off" does not power it down. It remains warm. It's probably also true that the TV doesn't turn fully off either.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
    Quote Quote