VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio & Video In Sync. I know Nero Vision is bad at it and ConvertXToDvd is great at it. What is the general consensus with other authoring apps. I find that with TDA 3 it's a gamble. Sometimes it's in sync sometimes not. ConvertXToDvd is never out of sync but I like more options for creating menus. Discuss.........
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It all depends on the source, convertxtodvd is designed to handle most downloaded formats very well while nero vision and tda 3 are mainly for home video and may have problem with newer formats like mkv,mp4, etc.

You could convert with convertxtodvd and then use the dvd import in tda3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does there exist an authoring app that "does it all". That can take any input file you throw at it, will create stunning motion menus, will create a perfectly synced DVD and is easy to use? One can only dream.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep dreaming or become programmer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marioval
    Does there exist an authoring app that "does it all".
    DVD-Lab among others "does it all" that falls under the category of "authoring". But your concern seems more to revolve around converting (and susequent authoring). Totally different beasts.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Does there exist an authoring app that "does it all".
    DVD-Lab among others "does it all" that falls under the category of "authoring". But your concern seems more to revolve around converting (and susequent authoring). Totally different beasts.

/Mats
    Right you are.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a little frustrating. There is so much software out there and so much information that it can sometime gets overwhelming. My main objective is to burn avi to a dvd with a nice menu.

ConvertXtoDvd does a fine job of output and is fast but the menus are ugly.

TDA 3 and Nero Express created beautiful menus but cannot sync the audio with the video.

D2MP and FilmMachine will not allowing adding files with different resolution and framerate.

DVDForger created a menu with invisible buttons.

DVD Flick and FAVC will not create a menu.

Diko gives me errors every step of the way (vague io know but i'm not looking for support, just venting).

AVI2DVD menu creator is way to confusing.

Blah blah i'm just ranting.........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick and FAVC will, like ConvertXtoDVD, create simple text based still image menus. FAVC is slightly more flexible than ConvertXtoDVD in that you can at least alter the name on the menu.

A simple solution - use FAVC (much higher quality than ConvertXtoDVD, especially if you have high quality source to begin with), and on the front tab, choose Keep instead of Delete under Working Files. Let it run until completion. When it is done, use the audio and video streams it encoded (left in the working files folder) and author in DLP to create better quality menus. I have done this several times for various reasons - the last was to correct a delay in the audio of the source files when I couldn't work out the script changes needs for FAVC.

If you are on a budget, give GUIForDVDAuthor a try instead of DLP.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    D2MP and FilmMachine will not allowing adding files with different resolution and framerate.
    Let me correct you: D2MP DOES allow adding files with different resolutions, framerates, formats and codecs !

thank you very much
    d2mp
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guns, i'll give that a go. By the way, how will DLP or GuiFDA handle the menu that FAVC creates? I also see that FAVC has different encoders to choose from. I know there is no easy answer but which do you find to be best and which is the fastest?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They won't. You use the elementary streams created during the encoding, and create your own menus. 99% of the time I only use FAVC for converting single movie files into the DVD format, so I don't create menus at all. If I do need a menu, then it is usually a scene selection or similar, which FAVC doesn't do anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok gotcha. What about the encoder options? HC or QuEnc. I have a dual core AMD so i'm guessing QuEnc but based on all my reading, it seems that HC is better. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only use HCEnc. If you have the time, 2 pass encode, but predictive seems to work very well. Aften for AC3.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Predictive? Does that mean 1 pass?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC is slightly more flexible than ConvertXtoDVD in that you can at least alter the name on the menu.
    You can change the menu name with ConvertX, as well as color, font, size and spacing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With ConvertxtoDVD you can change the title at the top of the menu page. The track titles come from the file names, and cannot be changed unless you go back and change the file names in Windows.

With FAVC you can change the menu page title, and the track titles, without having to change file names.

Hope this clarifies my previous post for the pedants in the audience.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With ConvertxtoDVD you can change the title at the top of the menu page. The track titles come from the file names, and cannot be changed unless you go back and change the file names in Windows.
    Not to argue, but all text/names can be changed from within the program without any changes to the originals.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having problems too using Nerovision when burning to DVD. Movie plays perfectly in media player with audio and video in sync but not after burning. I'm not bothered about fancy menus etc, just want to copy movie to DVD RW media to watch at work during meal breaks on night shift .

Will ConvertXtoDVD be the ideal program to do this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No app will ever work for all source materials.
    That a software media player can play the source file from end to end is no indication of wether it's possible to successfully convert (=reencode) it to some other format.

There are better (convertx2dvd is one of them - FAVC another) and worse (Nero, WinAVI & cetera in this category) apps to do the conversion with - for some sources, you simply have to try some out, as they all go about their business in slightly different ways. Or figure out what throws the encoder off, and fix your sources before converting.
    The very best option (coincidentally carrying about the same price tag as most commercial converter software offerings) is to get a hardware player that supports AVI (DivX/XviD) and not convert at all.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the prompt reply Mats much appreciated.

A hardware player does seem like a good idea and saves the time wasted converting to DVD. I have an old Sony DVD player which doesn't support AVI but I might just upgrade to a one that does support AVI. The cheap DVD player we have at work also does not support AVI but I'm now thinking I could hook up my laptop to the TV and watch movies through that.

Thanks again Mats, a great suggestion for the harware player (solves a load of problems and time).

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    DVD Flick and FAVC will, like ConvertXtoDVD, create simple text based still image menus. FAVC is slightly more flexible than ConvertXtoDVD in that you can at least alter the name on the menu.

A simple solution - use FAVC (much higher quality than ConvertXtoDVD, especially if you have high quality source to begin with), and on the front tab, choose Keep instead of Delete under Working Files. Let it run until completion. When it is done, use the audio and video streams it encoded (left in the working files folder) and author in DLP to create better quality menus. I have done this several times for various reasons - the last was to correct a delay in the audio of the source files when I couldn't work out the script changes needs for FAVC.

If you are on a budget, give GUIForDVDAuthor a try instead of DLP.
    I just read the entire user guide on the DVD Flick homepage and saw nothing on creating menus? Am I missing it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. It was somehting I noticed after posting but hadn't been back to correct. I never use the menus that these programs create because they are too simple. I either go without a menu entirely, or create a decent menu in DLP.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote